The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-09-2018, 03:36 PM

Kay made three or four all-maple plywood archtops in the 1960s, some with painted grain. Most, however, had some kind of shaded finish. It looks like the "K" on the headstock is in a triangle on your guitar. If I recall correctly (not always a given) that is the earlier version of the Half Kelvinator. Later versions had the "K" in a circle. Kay, however, changed headstocks and logos more often than most people change their socks. But that would date your guitar to 1962-1965. Just a spring chicken given how long Kay under various names had been building guitars.

By the way, here is one of my Kay archtops - a mid-1930s Kay Deluxe (a short lived name used between Kay Kraft and Kay) with the Zorzi adjustable neck.

Last edited by zombywoof; 01-09-2018 at 03:48 PM.
Old 01-09-2018, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachrunner View Post
Thanks, Goat - It is in pretty good shape, that's for sure.
Was your tech concerned that the tailpiece was shifted over? The bridge feet might be too far to the side of the top bracing due to shifting so far toward the bass side. Looks like that was done due to a heel joint problem.
Old 01-09-2018, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
Kay made three or four all-maple plywood archtops in the 1960s, some with painted grain. Most, however, had some kind of shaded finish. It looks like the "K" on the headstock is in a triangle on your guitar. If I recall correctly (not always a given) that is the earlier version of the Half Kelvinator. Later versions had the "K" in a circle. Kay, however, changed headstocks and logos more often than most people change their socks. But that would date your guitar to 1962-1965. Just a spring chicken given how long Kay under various names had been building guitars.

By the way, here is one of my Kay archtops - a mid-1930s Kay Deluxe (a short lived name used between Kay Kraft and Kay) with the Zorzi adjustable neck.

That mid-30's Kay Deluxe is awesome, ZW..

Here are a couple of closer shots of the headstock on mine - with the "tin foil" metal plate..

Last edited by Beachrunner; 01-09-2018 at 05:21 PM.
Old 01-09-2018, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Was your tech concerned that the tailpiece was shifted over? The bridge feet might be too far to the side of the top bracing due to shifting so far toward the bass side. Looks like that was done due to a heel joint problem.
You know, Rudy, I JUST noticed that issue on this guitar myself, while looking at these recent photos I took of the guitar... I am going to be totally honest and admit that I had never noticed that before! But truth be told, I hadn't looked closely at this guitar in over 20 years, until I took it in for the work this past week.

But yes, I did notice the tailpiece issue - just today - on the photos. As I said, I don't know how I missed it before...

Oddly enough, though, my tech never commented on it - which is surprising. I consider him a pretty good tech - he works on my gear quite a bit, and usually does a great job. But I am definitely going to bring that up with him, believe me.. I don't know how he missed it, either..

So - - Here's a shot of that mis-aligned tailpiece...

Old 01-09-2018, 06:38 PM

I notice the tiger stripes on the face of the headstock don't line up with the stripes on the side of the headstock too.
It's still cool.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 01-09-2018, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
I notice the tiger stripes on the face of the headstock don't line up with the stripes on the side of the headstock too.
It's still cool.
Good eye, Bruce.. Man, I guess I need to go over this thing with a fine-tooth comb again..

I can't wait to take it back in to my tech and ask him how he missed that tailpiece...
Old 02-23-2018, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
OK, I finally got the answer to the off-center tailpiece on the old Kay.

Yesterday I took my ES-335 in for a setup, but I brought the Kay along also to ask my tech this exact question.

He told me that he moved the tailpiece off-center to keep the strings aligned with the fretboard. He said that was the only way he could get it to align and play properly, due to the aging/shifting of the wood on this old guitar.

He said this is not uncommon to do on old guitars... Anyway - that's what he told me. It does play great now, so I'm inclined to believe him, but it does look weird, I'll grant you that..

Old 02-23-2018, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
If it is a K-6868 it is a faux grain. During the 1960s, this model was the least expensive archtop in the Kay line and they made a ton of them.
Well, that's good news because a ton of them would only be about 140. Jackpot!!
scott
Old 02-23-2018, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairpuller View Post
Well, that's good news because a ton of them would only be about 140. Jackpot!!
scott
Yeah, it's not worth as much as I thought - I've been researching these since my original post - so it's a keeper! Sounds and plays great, though.

Old 02-23-2018, 02:32 PM

Would love to hear and play that!
scott
Old 02-23-2018, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairpuller View Post
Would love to hear and play that!
scott
It's definitely fun to play! It's got that old finger-pickin' blues thing going on.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion