The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 09-01-2017, 02:58 AM

Default Steel strings on a Ukulele

I have hear/read some about steel strings on a ukulele. My first thoughts are Forget It. However, I would be interested in knowing more about the possibility of putting steel strings on a uke. Would it really produce a much louder and clearer sound? If tuned slightly less that standard would the tension warp or pull the uke apart?

Almanza 401 Mate
Classical

Ventura 12 string V17, now
a 6 string Lap Guitar.

Kala Baritone Ukulele

Melokia, Solid Acacia Tenor Ukulele

Yamaha Guitalele GL1

Yamaha CS40 Classical
Old 09-01-2017, 05:58 AM

My thoughts would be tension issues. They don't have truss rods and the bridges arent built or attatched to hold much tension.
Ibanez GSR200 Bass
Abilene Hot Rod Bass (found parts in trash can an resurrected)
Peavey TKO Bass Amp
Cordoba Concert Ukulele
A few more things that I'll add soon
Old 09-01-2017, 01:44 PM

The neck doesn't have a truss rod and the top has little or no bracing, so under no circumstances would I put metal strings on a ukulele
Old 09-01-2017, 02:13 PM

Ukulele is my primary instrument. Even on an ukulele with a truss rod (like my Pono PC Bari), you cannot use steel strings. There is a different and lighter bracing on ukes and they cannot support the tension of steel strings. Sometimes folks think I have steel on my Bari, but they are just wound strings. Pono just came out with a pretty short scale tenor guitar that is only slightly larger than a baritone but has wider neck and string spacing and was designed specifically for steel strings. It's on my Xmas wish list.
Old 09-01-2017, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cattzap View Post
My thoughts would be tension issues. They don't have truss rods and the bridges arent built or attatched to hold much tension.
Forgot to add this point about the bridge. Bridge will fly off. It'll be the first thing to go probably, long before neck damage.
Old 09-01-2017, 07:25 PM

My $85 MaKala has a truss rod ??? at least there is a hex wrench fitting as in a guitar.. ?
Old 09-18-2017, 12:53 PM

Why not take a cavaquinho and rearrange the strings? Nut width 30 mm on cavaquinho instead of 36 on my concert-size uke

Haven't tried but could work
Old 09-18-2017, 01:40 PM

BAD IDEA! Unless your ukulele was specifically built to handle the extra tension of steel strings (I have encountered a few custom steel-string builds) it will self destruct -- if not immediately, then overnight. Kids, don't try this at home, unless you really need some uke-shaped kindling for the fire place.

I don't happen to know the numbers for ukulele, but on guitars nylon strings run in the 90-100 pounds range (total for all six strings). Light gauge steel strings are 160-165 pounds total at standard tuning. That is a huge difference and the bracing for nylon cannot handle the extra tension. This would be the equivalent of revving your car's stock engine to 9000 rpm. Maybe it would work for a few moments, but before very long you would sprout pistons through the hood.
Old 09-18-2017, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnySmash View Post
...I would be interested in knowing more about the possibility of putting steel strings on a uke. Would it really produce a much louder and clearer sound? If tuned slightly less that standard would the tension warp or pull the uke apart?
One of my bandmates just bought one of these - might be a better idea:

https://kalabrand.com/products/tenor-guitar

She intends to set it up initially in baritone uke DGBE tuning (probably be OK with a 12-16-24-32 custom set, given the shorter-than-normal-tenor-guitar scale length), with the possibility of low-G tenor uke down the line (I'm thinking 9-12-18W-24 here)...

FYI I'd e-mail Kala before ordering - they may still be having international shipping issues as a result of the current CITES restrictions...

If you've got an eye toward playing out on a regular basis, there are a number of solid-body steel-string tenor ukes on the market as well, starting from around US$100 to sky's-the-limit - you might want to research these as well...
Old 09-18-2017, 06:07 PM

Exclamation ¡ Only 2 Rules Apply Here !

# 1 :
There are no rules
# 2 :
Refer to Rule # 1

This video shows a resonator ukulele with what sounds to me like it's sporting steel strings .
It's made to take the steel tension sure , but , it's possible I betcha .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ID00rV7qhk4

If you use common sense you can , if you tune down and lessen the tension on the neck .

In Mx. & here in southern California , Arizona N.M & Texas I have seen old worn down
Spanish classical type guitars sounding great with steel strings , the solution was tuning
them down to " D " or even lower to " C " , those who did this had guitars that didn't
bow at the neck or pull up at the bridge period .

I would venture to say it would apply to a ukulele too .

Would I do this to my Blonde Koa vintage 1950 something Kamaka soprano - - -

¡ Are you cwazy !

EZ :

HR
Life has always been interesting to me

Last edited by Hurricane Ramon; 09-18-2017 at 06:14 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments