The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-24-2018, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Look, he said he didn't want to talk about it. I'm not saying that this is exactly what happened, but rumor has it that there was a party at his bachelor pad, and the two blonde flight attendants from Scandinavian Airlines STRONGLY encouraged him to bring the guitar into the Jacuzzi with him, okay? He might have been able to resist their blandishments if they'd had harsh New Joisey accents, but when they coaxed him with those musical-sounding Swedish accents, it momentarily affected his judgement, okay?

Because this is true (you should insist to your dying day it is) then I think we can all agree: if the guitar doesn’t recover, it gave it’s life in good service. Truly, above and beyond the call of duty.
Old 03-24-2018, 02:19 PM

Back in the 1980's I was at Dana Bourgeois's shop and he had a 1930 or '31 OM45 (I can't remember if it was a Deluxe or not) that had been on a sailboat that sunk. When I saw it, Dana had finished his repairs and it looked, sounded and played fantastic, so things like this can often be remediated. Whether it's worth the expense may be a different matter.

Guitars:

1910's Larson/Stetson 1 size guitar
1920 Martin 1-28
1987 Martin Schoenberg Soloist
2006 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2016 Froggy Bottom L Deluxe
2021 Blazer and Henkes 000-18 H
2015 Rainsong P12
2017 Probett Rocket III
2006 Sadowsky Semi Hollow
1993 Fender Stratocaster

Bass: 1993 Sadowsky NYC 5 String
Mandolin: Weber Bitterroot
Old 03-24-2018, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigeuner View Post
A friend I once worked with was an excellent accordionist. He had a very expensive accordion and he used to play weddings and party gigs with it.

One day he was outside at a park playing with a small trio for a wedding reception. A drunk came over and poured an entire pitcher of beer on the accordion.

He told me that he paid several hundred dollars to have it cleaned out and repaired but it was never right after that. He ultimately traded it in for a new one but his gigging days were over.

You have to avoid soaking down your musical instruments, folks. Water and guitars (and accordions) do not go together. I'm just sayin'.

Wow that sucks.

I have had a few go arounds on gigs, including a lady who fell on my carved upright bass causing thousands of dollars damage (and out for three months).

The worst I've heard though is a local session pro bassist who played a cruise to Alaska. The crew got drunk after hours one night and a guy threw his treasured '57 Fender Pre bass overboard. True story, and a real '57 bass.

THAT was worse than my upright being body tackled by the band leaders wife.
various basses and uprights

Last edited by Casey86; 03-24-2018 at 05:22 PM.
Old 03-24-2018, 07:19 PM

I would take it away from the dehumidifier and let it air dry. maybe even put a small fan on it and let it blow slowly on it for a few days. Sound wise as long as it doesn't warp or twist then looks don't matter. If it looks a little rough id just leave it as character marks
Old 03-24-2018, 08:31 PM
Guest 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigeuner View Post
A drunk came over and poured an entire pitcher of beer on the accordion.
Humanitarian of the year!
Old 03-24-2018, 09:20 PM

The OP doesn't want to tell how his Martin got soaked so I'll tell my near soaking story. I had stayed up later than usual to watch a movie in our finished basement family room. After the movie ended I went into the bathroom and splashed through a couple of inches of water. Turned out a pipe joint had failed on a feed pipe to the bathroom sink inside the wall. A couple of my guitars were sitting on the floor in their cases in the next room. The water had wet the cases but not gotten inside to the guitars. However, if I'd gone to bed earlier and the water leaked all night it would have been a different story.

Guitars:

1910's Larson/Stetson 1 size guitar
1920 Martin 1-28
1987 Martin Schoenberg Soloist
2006 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2016 Froggy Bottom L Deluxe
2021 Blazer and Henkes 000-18 H
2015 Rainsong P12
2017 Probett Rocket III
2006 Sadowsky Semi Hollow
1993 Fender Stratocaster

Bass: 1993 Sadowsky NYC 5 String
Mandolin: Weber Bitterroot
Old 03-24-2018, 10:00 PM

After I wrote:

Quote:
Look, he said he didn't want to talk about it. I'm not saying that this is exactly what happened, but rumor has it that there was a party at his bachelor pad, and the two blonde flight attendants from Scandinavian Airlines STRONGLY encouraged him to bring the guitar into the Jacuzzi with him, okay? He might have been able to resist their blandishments if they'd had harsh New Joisey accents, but when they coaxed him with those musical-sounding Swedish accents, it momentarily affected his judgement, okay?
Mouselim replied:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouselim View Post
LoL! Wade, I seriously wish that there were two blonde flight attendants in a jacuzzi with me. I also wish that they were so drunk on my music that I left the guitar in the tub and lugged both into my bedroom and only realized the poor water-stained guitar floating in the tub the next morning
And SecondCity chimed in:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCity View Post
Because this is true (you should insist to your dying day it is) then I think we can all agree: if the guitar doesn’t recover, it gave it’s life in good service. Truly, above and beyond the call of duty.
As it happens, I'm a natural blond myself, from a family of natural blonds. (Mother, father, sister and me. Uncles and grandfather, too.) And I have to say that I've never been particularly attracted to blonde women, because they remind me WAY too much of my older sister.

No, thank you.

Now, I did manage to (heroically) overcome that prejudice when I lived in Finland, mainly because that was the majority of the population. But interestingly enough, when I was in Sweden I was blonder than most of the people that I saw: there were mostly brown-haired people in Stockholm.

Naturally, most them thought that I was Swedish....

Anyway, the image of blonde Swedish women is not as accurate (or nearly as common) as you might guess.

Now, back to Mouselim trying to explain just which songs he used to entice those Swedish flight attendants into his hot tub in the first place....

Wade Hampton "Please Don't Tell Us That You Sang Barry Manilow Songs..." Miller
Old 03-24-2018, 10:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Look,..........two blonde flight attendants from Scandinavian Airlines STRONGLY encouraged him to bring the guitar into the Jacuzzi with him, okay? He might have been able to resist their blandishments if they'd had harsh New Joisey accents, but......

Wade Hampton Miller
Perhaps the flight attendants can put together a collection to help replace the guitar. It’s the least they can do..
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 03-24-2018, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post
Perhaps the flight attendants can put together a collection to help replace the guitar. It’s the least they can do..
That seems fair.

Of course, it would probably be in Swedish kroner rather than dollars or Euros, but Mouselim is resourceful, he can find a currency exchange somewhere to convert the congregation’s offerings to Yankee dollars....

whm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion