The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-15-2024, 09:08 AM

Default Fretboard separating from soundboard

Guitar came back from my tech Monday. We’ve never had any issues him working on any of my guitars. He did a complete setup for my OM as it started to feel more difficult to play. He adjusted relief and slightly lowered the action at the saddle. I made another post about the fret buzz incurred on the e string which I think is just the action is a bit too low for how it’s setup (2mm bass), but yesterday I heard a sound that sounding like something was vibrating when plucking a string with a pick, and it sounded like it was coming from right in front of me. On closer inspection I can see the fretboard separated from the body evenly on both sides. About a half inch at the moment. Thoughts on this?
Old 02-15-2024, 02:12 PM

Default a thought

More information is needed, like what's the guitar and how is the fretboard customarily anchored. Any fasteners inside? Where?

What did your tech say when you called him back and asked?
Old 02-15-2024, 08:12 PM

Furch OM. Bolt on neck with no fasteners anchoring the fretboard to the soundboard.
Old 02-15-2024, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Bolt on neck with no fasteners
No fetboard extension fastener at all?? That is to say, not even glue?? Your fretboard is just floating around??

Weird. This Furch picture clearly shows the fretboard solidly glued to the neck extension:

Last edited by H165; 02-15-2024 at 09:53 PM.
Old 02-15-2024, 10:59 PM

Default a thought

If OP's guitar is constructed the same as those pictured, then I think any gaps between the fingerboard and the soundboard are only cosmetic so long as the fingerboard remains glued to the brace beneath it. I think probing with feeler gauges will tell enough of the tale.
Old 02-18-2024, 01:12 PM

Wouldn’t consider glue a fastener so not what I meant at all. I meant no addition hardware fastening the neck from the fretboard to the body like a Taylor.
Old 02-18-2024, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phavriluk View Post
If OP's guitar is constructed the same as those pictured, then I think any gaps between the fingerboard and the soundboard are only cosmetic so long as the fingerboard remains glued to the brace beneath it. I think probing with feeler gauges will tell enough of the tale.
Seems to be cosmetic. After 3 different techs fiddling with it and not noticing what I was noticing, I obsessed over finding the cause. I ended up changing my battery and just putting the wire from the pickup under the Velcro pouch and no more sound. I believe the fretboard thing is cosmetic, maybe wood shrunk a bit, the vibrating noise I heard was likely just wire occasionally touching something in the body.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair