The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-12-2014, 06:20 PM

Default NGD Big Hollow 00

A week ago a very nice package arrived in Sydney, my new Big Hollow 00 built by Bevan Frost in Colorado.
I ordered this guitar last year so the wait wasn't too long. After quite a few years now of playing guitars and horse trading on a few, I have found that my favourite guitar is a lightweight slotted headstock 00 with Mahogany back and sides.

The Big Hollow features adirondack spruce, bloodwood binding, waverlies and Bevan was also game enough to accept the challenge of creating a moustache bridge for me.
I wanted a more vintage spec /country blues guitar to complement my modern flavoured Bashkins. After a week with this guitar, Bevan has certainly delivered and this guitar will only get better as it gets played in and ages.

In fact I now have 3 00's all mahogany back and sides, just different top woods, a used Santa Cruz I picked up a couple of years ago off eBay, with Stika top and 24.9 scale, my new Big hollow also 24.9 scale and my Bashkin 00 with LS Rosewood and a 25.4 scale which loves open c tunings.

Old 12-12-2014, 06:48 PM
AGF Sponsor

All I have to say is WOW!
Old 12-12-2014, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageparlors View Post
All I have to say is WOW!
Make that a "Double WOW"!
Old 12-12-2014, 07:51 PM
AGF Sponsor

What a beautiful instrument! Congratulations on your Big Hollow acquisition.

I met Bevan at the Healdsburg 2013 Festival- the last one ever, unfortunately. Right away, I was blown away by the rich, complex, voluminous tone of his 0- and 00-sized guitars. They are really something special- they have that aged-in vintage tone, but also something hard to describe in the sound that makes them unique and captivating. Man, I would love to own one myself! When my ship comes in, I'm definitely throwing down a deposit and getting on the list.
We were hanging out with J.R. and Holly at the show too, and J.R. was also so impressed with Bevan's guitars, he ordered one right away.

Bevan is going to the Memphis show in June, and so am I. We're roommates at the hotel for the weekend. I'm really looking forward to test-driving the guitars he brings to the show. I'm sure they will be stellar!
I predict great things for Bevan in his lutherie career. Y'all better get on board now, before it costs north of 10 K to get one!
Old 12-12-2014, 09:48 PM

Congratulations Russ... there looks to be plenty of character in that Big Hollow. Love the shot of the triplets... enjoy. Cheers, berf
Old 12-13-2014, 01:06 AM
AGF Owner & Founder

Wow - another beauty from Bevan's shop. This one finding it's way all the way to my friend in Australia. I'll bet she sounds great! I can't wait to get my hands on the one he's working on for me. Congrats on that modern classic

JR
Old 12-13-2014, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEdwinson View Post
I was blown away by the rich, complex, voluminous tone of his 0- and 00-sized guitars. They are really something special- they have that aged-in vintage tone, but also something hard to describe in the sound that makes them unique and captivating!
Thanks all this pretty much sums up my great guitar!
Old 12-14-2014, 06:18 AM

You're gonna smile every time you see that guitar, just because it's smiling back at you. Congrats!! Do you have a closeup of the inlay on the headstock?
Old 12-14-2014, 10:29 AM

Congratulations!
The 00 with 12 fret, short scale & slot head had become my favorite guitar
build over the last year or so.
Enjoy!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop