The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-24-2014, 03:05 PM

Thanks for the vids of Pat Donahue, Brian. I especially enjoyed St. Thomas. You can really get a sense for the drier, more woody, character of his Somogyi compared to newer versions I've played. Very nice!

"Accept your lot, whatever it may be, in ultimate humbleness. Accept in humbleness what you are, not as grounds for regret but as a living challenge."
Old 11-24-2014, 07:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgennaro View Post
Thanks for the vids of Pat Donahue, Brian. I especially enjoyed St. Thomas. You can really get a sense for the drier, more woody, character of his Somogyi compared to newer versions I've played. Very nice!
Yeah, I'm a big fan of that St. Thomas one, too. Honestly, that was all I needed to post! I love the sound in that one.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:53 PM
Charter Member

neat post!

there's a modest amount of revoicing concerning mandolins also. being involved with them pretty deep over the past year, there are a couple luthiers that folks are sending old Gibson mandolins to for improvements. Many times the back is removed(yikes!) to accomplish the retuning.

the things i'm witnessing in the mandolin world would polarize a lot of us guitar players.

d
Old 11-24-2014, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylcrisp View Post
neat post!

there's a modest amount of revoicing concerning mandolins also. being involved with them pretty deep over the past year, there are a couple luthiers that folks are sending old Gibson mandolins to for improvements. Many times the back is removed(yikes!) to accomplish the retuning.

the things i'm witnessing in the mandolin world would polarize a lot of us guitar players.

d
That's interesting. I was just reading a book that talked about the tone bars on mandolins and how they can be used to adjust the tops response. It really is quite different than acoustic flat top instruments, as the mandolins have the thicker arched top as well. It was also interesting to read about how the tailpiece and bridge affect the mandos sound.

The entire topic of voicing and retro-voicing instruments is really interesting to me. I used to work in guitar repair and restoration about 30 years ago, but never got involved in the actual voicing of instruments. I really knew nothing about it until recently. Talking with Ervin Somogyi a half dozen times in the past few months was an education in itself. He loves to expound on his knowledge and will answer, in depth, any question you care to throw at him. I can see why so many say he is such a great teacher.

"Accept your lot, whatever it may be, in ultimate humbleness. Accept in humbleness what you are, not as grounds for regret but as a living challenge."
Old 11-25-2014, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usb_chord View Post
The older Somogyi sound seems like something I'd very much enjoy. Congrats!!!
I'd never have guessed in a million years that the guitar being played here was a Somogyi. Amazing. I guess a lot of that perception has to do with repertoire - I'm not used to hearing ragtime etc. on these guitars; it's usually something more "spaced-out". Great playing.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 11-25-2014, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylcrisp View Post
neat post!

d
Would you care to expand on this thought?
Old 11-28-2014, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fregly View Post
Sustain is overrated.
It depends.
Old 11-28-2014, 11:52 AM

Bill, glad to hear the revoicing turned out to your liking! Hope the next 30 years for this guitar brings more music and joy...
Old 11-28-2014, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post
Bill, glad to hear the revoicing turned out to your liking! Hope the next 30 years for this guitar brings more music and joy...
Thanks, Louie. I only hope I've got another 30 years of playing left in me. But no matter how much longer I have this instrument will be with me to the end unless financial hardships warrant it's selling. It'll be cool to someday have a 60 year old Somogyi.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop