The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-22-2012, 12:27 PM

Default It has repaired itself!!

I took delivery of a used Yamaha FG750s about a week ago and was very disappointed to see a crack in the finish at the base of the bridge.....that I was not told about and didn't show up in pictures that were sent to me.
I saw the crack immediately upon unpacking it.....what a let-down.
I decided it was a keeper anyway.
To my pleasant surprise I saw the crack repair itself as each day went by...now it's hardly noticeable (to an untrained eye such as mine) and I can barely feel it as I run my fingers across it....

This may be a very common "phenomenon" but to a beginner as myself....a very cool thing.

Is this a way of the guitar telling me it's happy in it's new home??

Old 05-22-2012, 01:21 PM

If the crack was caused by dryness (most are), then the relative humidity in your environment has risen or is normally higher than the area where the guitar came from, which in turn has caused the top of the guitar to absorb moiture and swell slightly---causing the crack to close. It is not "healed"--only closed somewhat. It will return if the humidity drops.

Bob
Old 05-22-2012, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1OUfan View Post
If the crack was caused by dryness (most are), then the relative humidity in your environment has risen or is normally higher than the area where the guitar came from, which in turn has caused the top of the guitar to absorb moiture and swell slightly---causing the crack to close. It is not "healed"--only closed somewhat. It will return if the humidity drops.

Bob
I believe ya...it came from Denver area, no humidity, and is now in SE Michigan where the humidity is usually very close to the temperature in the summer.
I didn't really think the material was gonna fuse back together...it just looks "healed"
Guess it will just have to stay here.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:50 PM

Reach inside and with a clean finger tips or gloves, see if you can push up on the soundboard to open the crack. If so get some Titebond and have some warm water and a cloth ready and message some Tightbond into the crack and clean it up good with the cloth and water. You may even need to get some water in the crack first to wick the glue in deep. Then press from top or bottom and where ever necessary to make sure that the the crack is aligned proper and don't touch it for a day. IF the crack is as tight as I think you are saying that it is then this fix ought to work. If it still looks really loose then wait till it expands even more. Ideally you would want to cleat the inside under the top of the crack as well.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
Reach inside and with a clean finger tips or gloves, see if you can push up on the soundboard to open the crack. If so get some Titebond and have some warm water and a cloth ready and message some Tightbond into the crack and clean it up good with the cloth and water. You may even need to get some water in the crack first to wick the glue in deep. Then press from top or bottom and where ever necessary to make sure that the the crack is aligned proper and don't touch it for a day. IF the crack is as tight as I think you are saying that it is then this fix ought to work. If it still looks really loose then wait till it expands even more. Ideally you would want to cleat the inside under the top of the crack as well.
I'm following ya, thanks...I'll give this a go.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:09 PM

Quote:
You may even need to get some water in the crack first to wick the glue in deep.
Don't do that. It will not wick the glue. Instead, it will swell the joint making it more difficult to get good penetration of glue in the crack. Titebond, or similar "yellow glue", is water-based, but of much thicker consistency that water, and will swell the joint somewhat when applied.

Instead, once you've applied the glue, open and close the seam/joint a few times by gently sliding the two haves back and forth, if they can be. This will generally distribute the glue sufficiently within the crack.

If you use cleats on the inside to reinforce the crack, they should be applied when the crack is glued.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:40 PM

Charles I believe that you can dilute Titebond by 10% correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Charles I believe that you can dilute Titebond by 10% correct me if I'm wrong.
You can dilute it by whatever amount you like, and I have. But, I have no idea what the dilution/strength curve looks like.

But, that's not the same thing as putting water in a crack, then applying un-diluted glue.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair