The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-22-2012, 02:03 PM
Charter Member

I dont think the typical Goodall voice is best for jazz chord melody. I'd look for something voiced with a stronger fundamental and less overtones. Something not as lush.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:37 PM

I actually enjoy lush jazz chords on Goodalls, YMMV.

Could you get down to a store to try those guitars? I wasn't too happy with the neck profile of the Goodall personally, so far, the only neck I couldn't quite get used to. You might want to try one before you get one in case you can't get used to it.

Actually I think my Applegate SJ does what you want pretty well. He has a base price of 5k though.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:03 PM

I like the way Taylors are voiced for jazz stuff, actually...I picked up one last fall--much lower price bracket, but Taylors do have an aesthetic of sound that carries across their price ranges. Their playability is also top notch--they're obviously made with folks who do more than strum chords in mind.

If I were having a guitar built, I'd strongly consider a Spruce top and a Maple back and sides. I like the crispness and sometimes "in your face" qualities of maple for jazz...Maple guitars definitely seem to lose less oomph between chords and single note lines...alternatively, if you're really getting out there, consider an arched back. There's a reason archtops rule for jazz...why not take a little of their form and function and inject a little flattop sensibility as well? I wondered who'd make me one like that?

Oh, by the way, Selmer Styles (particularly a long scale D hole, but all of them, really) are waaaay more versatile than folks think. Capable of quiet beauty as well as the bold gypsy jazz sound. Check out Boulou Ferre if you don't beleive it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 02-22-2012, 10:10 PM
Charter Member

My Sweet 16 is a maple/spruce instrument; albeit and archtop with f-holes. I play this acoustically as well with Thomastik-Infeld Bebop 0.013s. I am looking for something a bit less punchy, more responsive with a more balanced frequency response and a some chordal sustain. I am uncertain that a maple/spruce flat top is what I am looking for. I was originally considering a Selmer style, long-scale, D-hole style instrument like a Dupont. While I am sure that they are more diverse than pure gypsy jazz, my style of play is not really the classic style usually used to drive one of these. I began to realize just how much I enjoy playing my Martin and thought what about something similar that is easier to play high-up on the neck? I also could play a bit of acoustic blues as well.

:-)

Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
I like the way Taylors are voiced for jazz stuff, actually...I picked up one last fall--much lower price bracket, but Taylors do have an aesthetic of sound that carries across their price ranges. Their playability is also top notch--they're obviously made with folks who do more than strum chords in mind.

If I were having a guitar built, I'd strongly consider a Spruce top and a Maple back and sides. I like the crispness and sometimes "in your face" qualities of maple for jazz...Maple guitars definitely seem to lose less oomph between chords and single note lines...alternatively, if you're really getting out there, consider an arched back. There's a reason archtops rule for jazz...why not take a little of their form and function and inject a little flattop sensibility as well? I wondered who'd make me one like that?

Oh, by the way, Selmer Styles (particularly a long scale D hole, but all of them, really) are waaaay more versatile than folks think. Capable of quiet beauty as well as the bold gypsy jazz sound. Check out Boulou Ferre if you don't beleive it.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:53 AM
Charter Member

...looked in the AGF Classifieds lately?

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 02-23-2012, 06:04 AM
Charter Member

No, not yet...I need to have a better sense of what I am looking for first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
...looked in the AGF Classifieds lately?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion