The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweiss View Post
AGF is, without a doubt, the best run forum of its kind that I've ever seen....but....I do think the mods sometimes are a bit quick on the trigger when it comes to shutting down threads that they feel violate the be nice rule.

I do understand, though, that "be nice" means different things to different people. Some of us have a thick skin, and others can't even tolerate disagreement. It's a tough target to hit in a consistent way.
I think the mods have always done a great job here. You probably don't remember *The Dock*. It was a pretty ugly place imo, and I have pretty thick skin on my nose. I think J.R. and the mods were very patient in keeping it running as long as they did. I don't think they are quick on the trigger at all. They have the forum experience and know how J.R. wants the ship run. And in your own words thats why it is without a doubt the best run forum of its kind.

Glenn is one of the newer mods, I believe and he already ranks among the best imo.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:33 PM

Basically, it means that yawns are better than growls.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
Isn't this place where people express their opinions? To a lot of people, pointing out where they might be wrong is, to them, "not nice"
On the other hand, turning a friendly discussion into a political debate is against the rules/guidelines of the forum.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 04-17-2014, 05:41 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Never, ever, underestimate the power of staff fatigue.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 04-17-2014, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesa View Post
Glenn is one of the newer mods, I believe and he already ranks among the best imo.
+1. There is intelligence, sensitivity and tolerance in his decisions.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:58 AM

I'm just glad the "Be Nice" thread has managed to stay open for 24 hours. I half expected it to break down into nasty name calling between factions with different definitions of "nice"
Old 04-17-2014, 06:15 AM

A high percentage of OTT comments stem from internet courage imo. Stuff you say when you feel hidden from public rebuke. Or even a good back hand.

I read stuff every day that I'm quite sure would not be said to a stranger's face. Especially a larger stranger.

Maybe its the thing you've always wanted to say and can't because you'd be out of friends and co-workers in a week. So you say it online.

If you feel someone can really benefit from it say it.

Or keep it to yourself, just like you do everyday face to face in mixed company.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-vegas View Post
If you feel someone can really benefit from it say it.

Or keep it to yourself, just like you do everyday face to face in mixed company.
Well, I do come here for fun, so my principle concern is that rather than a higher mission to serve others. I also think most of us would check internet comments more strictly than we would stuff we say to people's faces. I know my friends and colleagues; I know I can indicate to them that I'm saying something risqué or tongue-in-cheek or whatever by tone of voice and expression. Here, the people are remote, and in writing there is a greater chance of being misunderstood. A small number of people here can also be highly prickly when they hear things they don't like ...
Old 04-17-2014, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
+1. There is intelligence, sensitivity and tolerance in his decisions.
Ed! where in the world have you been? Good to see you again!

curt
Old 04-17-2014, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesa View Post
Ed! where in the world have you been? Good to see you again!

curt
Thanks Curt, good to see you again too!

Well, the thing is, I thought it unfair that AGF alone should benefit from my inane comments, so I spread them around a little on other forums for a while!
Old 04-17-2014, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Thanks Curt, good to see you again too!

Well, the thing is, I thought it unfair that AGF alone should benefit from my inane comments, so I spread them around a little on other forums for a while!

You're a gentleman and a scholar, Ed. Glad you're back!
Old 04-17-2014, 07:36 AM
Guest 213

Quote:
A small number of people here can also be highly prickly when they hear things they don't like ...
And a far higher number here can be very careless and undiscerning with what they write. I know I've been guilty of that, but unfortunately there are some who make excuses for it and continue to do it rather than admit it was in poor taste...
Old 04-17-2014, 07:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceGuitars View Post
And a far higher number here can be very careless and undiscerning with what they write. I know I've been guilty of that, but unfortunately there are some who make excuses for it and continue to do it rather than admit it was in poor taste...
Yes Indeed, the mirror is a hard mistress and often the last place we choose to look, yet more often than not, the source of the bulk of the problem.

I will say that on the few occasions you and I have held differing views if I recall correctly we have been able to clearly articulate those differences without disrespect. Of course my memory is not what it used to be

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 04-17-2014 at 08:09 AM.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
I'm just glad the "Be Nice" thread has managed to stay open for 24 hours. I half expected it to break down into nasty name calling between factions with different definitions of "nice"
It could have broken down. The fact that it didn't is a real tribute to the general attitude of the folks here on the AGF. It's my belief that people who come here really do want a friendly, respectful atmosphere here and they want to keep it that way.

Thanks to all,
Glenn
Old 04-17-2014, 08:36 AM
Guest 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
I will say that on the few occasions you and I have held differing views if I recall correctly we have been able to clearly articulate those differences without disrespect. Of course my memory is not what it used to be
Let's give ourselves the benefit of the doubt
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic