The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-06-2024, 01:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-arino View Post
Oh wow, I used to get wings at the Anchor Bar 45 years ago when I went to UB. It was near the University of Buffalo campus, Goodyear Hall :-).
Steve - we just missed each other as I was right behind you starting there.

I fondly remember nickel green beers after St. Patrick's day (and everyone coming to class drunk and with green lips). Miner's ten across the street. Mickey Rats and Cassidy's Freddy's Specials!

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 03-06-2024, 03:06 PM
Charter Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
Steve - we just missed each other as I was right behind you starting there.

I fondly remember nickel green beers after St. Patrick's day (and everyone coming to class drunk and with green lips). Miner's ten across the street. Mickey Rats and Cassidy's Freddy's Specials!
Slombas Bar and Grill ($2 pitchers)? Muellers Deli? I lived on Fillmore ave for a year; a real "animal house", the house was razed the year after I left. I lived on a commune in Clarence Center for a year; I was there for the blizzard of '77 with a few folks going to UB Dental school. Ellicott campus was brand new back then. Wish I remembered something about my education

Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Fairbanks F20
Rainsong CO-OM1100NST
Old 03-07-2024, 08:18 PM

Sounds like fun. My wife and I come up past Buffalo to the Canadian side an on up to Niagara on the Lake every November. I’ve never cared for the Falls because it’s too touristy but NOTL is a big wine region and the downtown is very quaint.

As for Buffalo, I’ve never lingered there long but it’s pretty in the summer - though certainly not a destination in the winter; the lake effect snow is notorious.

PS: if you’re looking to cross into the US from the Canadian side DO NOT take the QEW to the Peace Bridge; the delay can be substantial. Instead, take the Rainbow Bridge at the Falls.
Old 03-18-2024, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
.... had two US presidents from Buffalo and our parks were designed by the Frederick Law Olmstead who designed Central Park and Washington DC. to now, the city has undergone a major revitalization and is thriving....

Great post but, Oooh.... you might check your info. I'm born and raised in Washington D.C. and to my knowledge, he had almost no design aspect to D.C. other than (that I know) the area around the U.S. Capitol building. Charles L'Enfant layed out and designed the majority of D.C.
Old 03-19-2024, 03:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAPlayer View Post

Great post but, Oooh.... you might check your info. I'm born and raised in Washington D.C. and to my knowledge, he had almost no design aspect to D.C. other than (that I know) the area around the U.S. Capitol building. Charles L'Enfant layed out and designed the majority of D.C.
Yes.....Correction: he designed the US Capital in D.C. not the city lay out

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 03-19-2024, 04:12 AM
Charter Member

Hi Beil, et al,

I flew into Toroto in 1980 with a work friend who had an interview in DonMills. We were shown around town by two attractive young ladies !!!

Crossed over to USA, headed for Cleveland to visit friends of my friend, but as it was apparent that they were having a heavy domestic row, we headed east, spent the night in Syracuse, then drove to Montreal, then Ottowa and back to Toronto.

It was February, really cold but a dry cold.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic