The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-27-2016, 09:47 AM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Default Found on the Market Greenfield G4

Mods please move if this is the wrong sub forum

This G4 has been at Lark Street for a while:

http://larkstreetmusic.com/stock.html

GREENFIELD G-1 Acoustic, Jumbo body with African blackwood
back and sides, 17" wide spruce top, Novax Fanned Fret System, 4 3/4" deep,
Laskin Style Arm Rest on top and Laskin Style Rib Rest on back, spalted beech
rosette with pearl borders, near mint, ohsc........$14,000

The closest comps I can see are at Dream guitars:

http://www.dreamguitars.com/detail/4...nfield_g2_154/

Also at Luthier's Collection:

http://luthierscollection.com/images...d=greenfield14

Last time I checked LC wanted around 20k for theirs. I suppose this makes the guitar at Lark Street a relative bargain. Thoughts from the Peanut Gallery? FWIW I have no interest other than idle curiosity, not looking to buy a Greenfield.

Last edited by CoolerKing; 04-29-2016 at 03:08 AM.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

Beauty guitar, would love to get my mitts on that BTW that is a G4 model, not a G1 as they have it marked.
Old 04-27-2016, 11:48 AM

Not too far from me, have to check this out...
Old 04-27-2016, 12:00 PM

Prices are all over the map.

2007 G1 BRW at GG for $11.5K:

http://www.guitargal.com/collections...ield-g1-guitar

It's most useful to monitor the market in the long run rather than taking a snapshot.
Old 04-27-2016, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post

It's most useful to monitor the market in the long run rather than taking a snapshot.
You'll also find that there is a pretty significant jump in prices when Mike shifted to the tone halo ring, doubled sides, and florentine cutaway. His guitars before that--like this one--typically don't sell for as much. I've played both eras but not side by side, so can't speak to whether that price jump is "fair."

If you like the Greenfield tone, though, both the guitars in this thread bear checking out! The Blackwood in particular looks pretty appealing...

-Brett

CF MARTIN 1930 OM-18 - Mahogany/Adirondack
GIBSON 2018 Memphis Limited 1963 ES-335 - Maple/Maple
MCCONNELL 2021 Electric Semi-Hollow - Wenge/Sitka

[SoundCloud | YouTube]

Last edited by bdm0509; 04-27-2016 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Dumb fingers
Old 04-27-2016, 12:52 PM

I think though, with the Lark Street guitar, the price reflects also the rib bevel and upper bout bevel, and fanned fret...

Mau, how are you doing?! Hope all is well. Looking for more vids of you playing!
Old 04-27-2016, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post

Definitely. Dream Guitars has some BRZ as well, but I put these on because they were all ABW.
Old 04-27-2016, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Alexander View Post
Beauty guitar, would love to get my mitts on that BTW that is a G4 model, not a G1 as they have it marked.
It looked pretty big! Thanks for clarifying. For me, I'm actually more interested in the larger size, as it pertains to Greenfield, mainly because of Andy McKee.
Old 04-27-2016, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdm0509 View Post
You'll also find that there is a pretty significant jump in prices when Mike shifted to the tone halo ring, doubled sides, and florentine cutaway. His guitars before that--like this one--typically don't sell for as much. I've played both eras but not side by side, so can't speak to whether that price jump is "fair."

If you like the Greenfield tone, though, both the guitars in this thread bear checking out! The Blackwood in particular looks pretty appealing...

-Brett
Yes good point. I see the market value for the halo but I actually like that bevel, but I can definitely see how that would not be appealing to everyone. Doubled sides wouldn't personally affect my decision. Good input thanks!
Old 04-27-2016, 01:56 PM

Quote:
You'll also find that there is a pretty significant jump in prices when Mike shifted to the tone halo ring, doubled sides, and florentine cutaway. His guitars before that--like this one--typically don't sell for as much.
Right you are.

I wouldn't mind an old school model if it had no cutaway...
Old 04-27-2016, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewpartrick View Post
Definitely. Dream Guitars has some BRZ as well, but I put these on because they were all ABW.
Or you could order one from Michael and visit Montreal...

The economy might be doing a little better but I don't see much movement in the higher end shops. The obvious gems still find new homes quickly but several excellent and seemingly rare guitars have been on sale forever.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:07 PM

Quote:

-Brett
What was the time period for his switch to the tone halo system, and the cutaway? The inside picture of the guitar on the website seems to have some radial bracing...
Old 04-27-2016, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewpartrick View Post
What was the time period for his switch to the tone halo system, and the cutaway? The inside picture of the guitar on the website seems to have some radial bracing...
I know there was a period where the tone halo thing was optional. The real shift is best seen when he want to florentine cutaways, as that signaled his change to laminated sides. I remember when I first placed a deposit, maybe in 2010, I wanted a Venetian cutaway, and he politely but firmly refused. He did eventually relent, but made it clear that he'd not be able to do the things he considered best for the guitar.

Now, here's the thing... I once very briefly owned a Greenfield OM. Not a G1 but an actual OM, in Madagascar rosewood. It was a stunning guitar, and in my trio of "dumb guitar mistakes in selling." It easily predates his tone halo and laminated sides. Maybe... 2008? Earlier? So there's a counter-example that was killer.

Go play an early one. If you love it, buy it! Who cares about the rest...

CF MARTIN 1930 OM-18 - Mahogany/Adirondack
GIBSON 2018 Memphis Limited 1963 ES-335 - Maple/Maple
MCCONNELL 2021 Electric Semi-Hollow - Wenge/Sitka

[SoundCloud | YouTube]
Old 04-27-2016, 09:19 PM

Did Greenfield switch to the radial bracing after he attended the somogyi workshop?

That particular G4 has got an amazing set of ABW and it must be exceedingly rare to be able to source a set that size.

I have never had the chance to play a greenfield. Is his tone similar to Sobell? When I hear clips of his guitars, it seems to sound like it is predominantly focused on the trebles whereby it has an airy quality about it but I usually don't hear a lot of bass by comparison . Clips are not reliable indicators of the actual sound of course hence my query.
Old 04-27-2016, 09:57 PM

Greenfields definitely do not lack any bass... Huge sound, plenty of overtones but still tight and well defined (not muddy). Very impressive IMHO.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop