The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-07-2016, 12:12 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Lightening the arm rest lining

In an effort to lighten things up, I've made a sort of hybrid lining. It is a blend of solid laminated and Kerfed linings, and it's incorporated in the arm and rib bevel areas. You can see what I mean. I'm thinking that reversed Kerfed lining around the top would be nearly as stiff as solid lining and would also lighten things up a bit. Building philosophy evolves, hopefully in a good direction and not Just in an expedient one.

Last edited by j. Kinnaird; 04-07-2016 at 02:06 PM.
Old 04-07-2016, 12:16 PM
AGF Sponsor

That is wild! - reptilian. Have you noticed extra heft due to your bevel reinforcements? I would think with the removed portion that it would be, maybe not negligible, but minor. Of course, this looks sweet, so there's one positive. If it's lighter and functional, I say go for it. (I realize you already have.)

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 04-07-2016, 02:00 PM
AGF Sponsor

You are right of course about the lightening by the removal of wood for the bevel. So This may be unnecessary effort, but if that joint between the top and the sides can be both stiff and light in that intersection it seems like it would benefit the acoustics.
Old 04-07-2016, 02:09 PM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by j. Kinnaird View Post
it seems like it would benefit the acoustics.
Ah yes, form meets function . I love it

By the way John, nice picture of that topless and bottomless box. However, just a layman's suggestion, I do think the acoustics will be even better if we close those up

Woody (aka: Mike)

FOR SALE: Kinnaird Brazilian!!
Old 04-07-2016, 04:22 PM
AGF Sponsor

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by invguy921 View Post
Ah yes, form meets function . I love it

By the way John, nice picture of that topless and bottomless box. However, just a layman's suggestion, I do think the acoustics will be even better if we close those up
Ahh. I'm glad you said that. I thought I was finished. You never know what strange things a customer will want next
Old 04-07-2016, 04:51 PM
AGF Sponsor

Brother--neat trick bending the dentil molding in that kind of curve.
Looks great...less filling...what's not to like?

SK

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 04-07-2016, 05:00 PM
AGF Sponsor

[QUOTE=
Looks great...less filling...what's not to like?

SK[/QUOTE]

Thanks bro..very funny
Old 04-07-2016, 06:11 PM
Charter Member

Smile Nice idea!

So now you come up with the weight saving idea? Sigh...

I can not complain! But I do wish I had ordered my Ameritage custom case earlier...

But John gets a week or two to play his work and impart a bit more of his DNA to my new axe... That is good.

This one here is going to be a honey!!!

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 04-07-2016, 06:46 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
So now you come up with the weight saving idea? Sigh...

I can not complain! But I do wish I had ordered my Ameritage custom case earlier...

But John gets a week or two to play his work and impart a bit more of his DNA to my new axe... That is good.

This one here is going to be a honey!!!

Cheers

Paul
It's not going to save much weight. Your case must be coming soon, I just got billed for it
Old 04-08-2016, 05:40 AM

Nice touches on the lining John. Would love to see this in person. I'll actually be at NC in a few days for business. I'll see if I could squeeze out some time to stop by. I already have an S. Kinnaird and I've always wanted to add a J. Kinnaird down the road
Old 04-08-2016, 05:49 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chedeng88 View Post
Nice touches on the lining John. Would love to see this in person. I'll actually be at NC in a few days for business. I'll see if I could squeeze out some time to stop by. I already have an S. Kinnaird and I've always wanted to add a J. Kinnaird down the road
Rye, brother, we've known each other for quite a while. Gotta tell ya...if John gets ahold of you, he doesn't let go ...I'm living proof lol. Fact is, John is one of the nicest guys you'll meet, AND builds a GREAT guitar. I think John has been one of those amazing builders who has flown under the radar for far too long. A lot of that boils down to not being as good of a photographer as some other builders...many of which have gained traction more due to their photography skills than possibly their building prowess. John made the mistakes and learned from them 100 guitars ago that many of these young bucks are yet to learn.

So, if you go, know two things...1) take your wallet and plan to subscribe, and 2) I'll be upset if you get there before I do lol. I'm now on my third build and yet to visit his shop (or any shop for that matter)

Woody (aka: Mike)

FOR SALE: Kinnaird Brazilian!!
Old 04-08-2016, 06:35 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chedeng88 View Post
You are certainly welcome any time. Give me a day or so warning so I can clean the shop at least enough so it won't posed a health hazzard or a safety risk.��
Old 04-08-2016, 06:37 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by invguy921 View Post
Rye, brother, we've known each other for quite a while. Gotta tell ya...if John gets ahold of you, he doesn't let go ...I'm living proof lol. Fact is, John is one of the nicest guys you'll meet, AND builds a GREAT guitar. I think John has been one of those amazing builders who has flown under the radar for far too long. A lot of that boils down to not being as good of a photographer as some other builders...many of which have gained traction more due to their photography skills than possibly their building prowess. John made the mistakes and learned from them 100 guitars ago that many of these young bucks are yet to learn.

So, if you go, know two things...1) take your wallet and plan to subscribe, and 2) I'll be upset if you get there before I do lol. I'm now on my third build and yet to visit his shop (or any shop for that matter)
Thanks Mike for the good press😄
Old 04-08-2016, 11:56 AM
AGF Sponsor

Since Woody seemed to want to have a back and top on this guitar and since we aim to please, here's half.

Old 04-08-2016, 04:34 PM

That cherry is so very pretty, I am very anxious to see what the finish does for it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop