The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-25-2016, 10:42 PM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Default J. Kinnaird Alpine/Cherry 00 12 Fret

Well, I am posting this as a help to a builder who I've developed quite a friendship with over a couple of beautiful builds. Knowing John had a lot on his plate to complete several customs he is working on as well as a few others, I offered to post some info on this build which will be starting soon.

This one should be another stunner/show stopper to look at. I've also heard from some reliable sources that this body and wood combination has proven to be amazing in the past. So, like all of you, I wait in anticipation to see how this one develops.

Details:

What we know so far is that these two pieces of wood will be involved, and that it will be an 00 size 12 fret. Also likely is a Florentine cutaway (sharp) and an arm bevel and a sound port.

Dimensions:

Lower bout 14.75
Upper 11
Length 19.375

Other details will emerge as we go. The top will be a beautiful piece of very white Alpine Spruce, and the back and sides figured Cherry. I can already begin to imagine this back with a gloss finish...

makes me want to go cherry pickin'

Woody (aka: Mike)

FOR SALE: Kinnaird Brazilian!!

Last edited by invguy921; 03-14-2016 at 06:09 AM.
Old 02-26-2016, 12:25 AM
Charter Member

Smile Nice!

Hey Mike, Thanks for doing this for JK. Now he has more time to finish mine when it comes back from the finisher... Sounds odd, but you can't finish until it is finished!

My great friend Steve Marshall is here in SD, and we are figuring out the details of his build, which I believe will be next!

I love being the guitar instigator/consultant!

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 02-26-2016, 06:34 AM

All of a sudden, Cherry abounds. John here, Steve K. also has Cherry in his list for woods he has not built with that qualify for the discount, Mark Hatcher just posted a Cherry billet, and Bruce Sexuaer currently has one in the build process. This is just what I can pull from the top of my head....a virtual cherry jubilee!
Old 02-26-2016, 06:39 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
All of a sudden, Cherry abounds. John here, Steve K. also has Cherry in his list for woods he has not built with that qualify for the discount, Mark Hatcher just posted a Cherry billet, and Bruce Sexuaer currently has one in the build process. This is just what I can pull from the top of my head....a virtual cherry jubilee!
I can only draw one conclusion from this...since i was able to visit with most all of these people there, I'm guessing there must have been some really good deals on Cherry in Memphis, huh?

Last edited by invguy921; 02-26-2016 at 06:18 PM.
Old 02-26-2016, 06:55 AM

really pretty stuff!

The Acoustics

Tom Doerr - Trinity. Flamed Maple under Swiss
Tom Doerr - M/D. Braz under Red
Old 02-26-2016, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invguy921 View Post
I can only draw one conclusion from this...since i was able to visit with all of these people there, I'm guessing there must have been some really good deals on Cherry in Memphis, huh?

yeah your probably right hahahaha. It is really pretty wood, always been one of my favorites for building with.
Old 02-26-2016, 02:32 PM
Charter Member

I am glad to see a number of luthiers here in the AGF Custom Shop begin to embrace Black Cherry as a hardwood. I believe the caution in its use comes from the client acceptance side of the equation and not from the builders who think it is a fine wood to work with. I commissioned a cherry/cedar classical guitar back in 2014 from San Diego luthier Peter Oberg that is simply a fantastic guitar!

Here is a link to the build thread:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=351586

Quote:
Old 02-27-2016, 10:24 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

I am pretty stoked about seeing this one come together. I think John will raise some eyebrows of attention with this creation. He shared with me that this one is going to move more towards somewhat of a "less is more" approach...a very clean distinctive looking guitar with enchanting lines. It will have an arm and rib bevel, and so should be a lovely guitar "to have and to hold" ha!

For me, staring at that Cherry is beyond amazing...I see a gentle waterfall in the making. When this one has finish, I think the contrasting waves in the wood will bring that out.

Should be fun!

Old 02-27-2016, 10:45 AM

Quote:
I am pretty stoked about seeing this one come together. I think John will raise some eyebrows of attention with this creation. He shared with me that this one is going to move more towards somewhat of a "less is more" approach...a very clean distinctive looking guitar with enchanting lines. It will have an arm and rib bevel, and so should be a lovely guitar "to have and to hold" ha!

For me, staring at that Cherry is beyond amazing...I see a gentle waterfall in the making. When this one has finish, I think the contrasting waves in the wood will bring that out.

Should be fun!
I agree, the more I look at that piece, the more I love it. Did you say this is a commissioned build?
Old 02-27-2016, 11:26 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Quote:
I agree, the more I look at that piece, the more I love it. Did you say this is a commissioned build?
Tom, no I didn't say that. It started out as a spec I think and I guess it could rapidly change to a commission guitar .

Old 02-27-2016, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Tom, no I didn't say that. It started out as a spec I think and I guess it could rapidly change to a commission guitar .
Ahhh, yeah, just inquired with John...seems I am too slow. ahhemmm.
Old 02-27-2016, 01:16 PM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Quote:
Ahhh, yeah, just inquired with John...seems I am too slow. ahhemmm.
Good grief! Did it change THAT rapidly?? :-)

Old 02-27-2016, 01:47 PM

Seems like it was almost gone before it was even posted....must be someone on the inside, possibly with a previous John build, maybe someone close to situation, a new found friend, previous customer, loves Pixar movies,,,,,IDK, maybe they will come forward.
Old 02-27-2016, 03:15 PM
Lovin' nice guitars...

Quote:
Seems like it was almost gone before it was even posted....must be someone on the inside, possibly with a previous John build, maybe someone close to situation, a new found friend, previous customer, loves Pixar movies,,,,,IDK, maybe they will come forward.
Not confirming or denying that there indeed is a possibility that someone has a vested interest in this one...

OK, OK...Confession is good for the soul they say...and since the cat is apparently now OUT of the bag (mind you, the cat hasn't been IN the bag very long, ha!)...yes, someone you know and LOVE has taken a financial interest in this one. I refuse to tell you who for fear that their wife may make the doghouse their permanent home. But eventually I will reveal this well kept secret that only a very privileged few know...Stay tuned for ahhemmm...clues

Old 02-27-2016, 03:23 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Not confirming or denying that there indeed is a possibility that someone has a vested interest in this one...

OK, OK...Confession is good for the soul they say...and since the cat is apparently now OUT of the bag (mind you, the cat hasn't been IN the bag very long, ha!)...yes, someone you know and LOVE has taken a financial interest in this one. I refuse to tell you who for fear that their wife may make the doghouse their permanent home. But eventually I will reveal this well kept secret that only a very privileged few know...Stay tuned for ahhemmm...clues
Oh brother...

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop