The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 09:54 AM

Absolutely beautiful Bruce!!!
Old 01-16-2016, 01:57 PM
AGF Sponsor

I strung up the Flamenco Blanca this morning. Seems to work well enough, but I am no expert so I can't really judge it past being competent. Here are some pictures:

The pegs seem to work GREAT and I haven't even finessed them yet!
Old 01-16-2016, 08:29 PM

Might have to take another trip to the west coast to see that beauty... What did it end up weighing? Lots of good flamenco players in San Fran prob get someone to test drive it.

Jrw
Old 01-16-2016, 11:04 PM
AGF Sponsor

It weighs less than 2 3/4 lb. I have spent a couple of hours playing it and can say a couple of things. One is that it has developed more in that time than I am used to. The other is that I absolutely love it. I cannot say how it compares as I have no perspective. I do not personally know any flamenco player except
Ervin Somogyi. I had planned to take it to his is shop tomorrow for the NCAL meeting there to get his take, but he is sick and will not be there, so I Will do something else.

Today I blocked the classical, and if it rains tomorrow I will likely buff it and put the bridge on. Perhaps it will get strings on Monday!

I sold the new L00 today to the first person to see it! I thought it was that good.
Old 01-17-2016, 07:08 AM
Charter Member

Beautiful work bruce. Would be great to hear recordings, but I know that's not always possible.

Stuart
Old 01-17-2016, 03:38 PM
AGF Sponsor

Too late to record the L00, and I am a bit shy re the Blanca due to the travesty of the flatpick.

I buffed the Classical this afternoon and installed the tuners. Probably will get to the bridge gluing today.

Started my first 2016, another JZ-16, this one in cherry.
Old 01-17-2016, 04:31 PM
AGF Sponsor

Yesterday I was showing the Classical bridge to the L00 buyer and have no idea where I put it down subsequently. It'll turn up. Meanwhile I am enjoying my entirely fraudulent emulation of a Flamenco guitarist. I made a recording just now, and if you are able to ignore the lack of coherent time keeping, you ought to get a sense of the Blanca. I did just this one take: BLANCA!
Old 01-17-2016, 04:46 PM

Thanks Bruce .
Guess Esteban was busy ?
Would love to hear Roy Clark play the Malaguena on that baby .
Old 01-17-2016, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
Yesterday I was showing the Classical bridge to the L00 buyer and have no idea where I put it down subsequently. It'll turn up. Meanwhile I am enjoying my entirely fraudulent emulation of a Flamenco guitarist. I made a recording just now, and if you are able to ignore the lack of coherent time keeping, you ought to get a sense of the Blanca. I did just this one take: BLANCA!
Well, I quite enjoyed whatever that was.
Old 01-17-2016, 07:35 PM
Charter Member

Fascinating,lovely and very pure tone.

Another gem,

Stuart
Old 01-17-2016, 08:31 PM

I thought flamenco guitars are suppose to have more string buzz! Just teasing, sound really nice.
Old 01-18-2016, 01:13 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterhound View Post
Thanks Bruce .
Guess Esteban was busy ?
Would love to hear Roy Clark play the Malaguena on that baby .
I have seen people make fun of "Esteban" for years, but never knew what it meant. This is the first time it came into one of my threads, I think, so I googled it. I had to google Roy Clark too! Looks like I may spend too much time alone at the bench. Oh well.
Old 01-18-2016, 01:47 PM
Charter Member

The Blanca is a great guitar - I, unfortunately, don't really know the criteria by which a great flamenco guitar is judged, but based purely on my observation as a classically strung guitar, it is really quite exceptional. And my greatest fear - the difficulty of tuning it with friction pegs - is clearly unfounded. While Bruce has the benefit of years of violin and bass building/repairing/tuning, I was able to easiy get it tuned in just a few minutes. And I'm positive that if I lived with it for a bit, I could easily get extremely proficient at it. Or at least as proficient as I am at any tuning -

Yes - the L00 went home with me. I had been eyeing it since he joined the plates, as I have been playing the pernambuco (as well as the walnut, and maple, and other rosewoods ) that Bruce has in "inventory". Some of them are "used", in that they are trade-ins from others who decide that after playing one of his guitars they are finally ready to order the specific guitar they want from him. Some are new, as Bruce really enjoys building, and sometimes he'll just build the instrument that he has in his head. They are all very fine, with different voices that, while all very musical, are each unique in their own way. Honestly, the all walnut had been a strong possiblity, as it is a nice complement to the mini-D in mahogany/adi of his that I have been enjoying so much since the day I got it from another forum member here. But I know how incredible the voice of pernambuco can be, and when he mentioned that he was doing one of his WRXs in it, I knew I had to wait until it was finished before making any decision -

I won't even try to describe it - if I were to rank all the guitars I have ever tried, this is easily in the top ten. And it may be one of the only ones in that group that won't involve someone else passing for me to be in line to purchase, or having to win the powerball to afford.

I'll get some sound files up in the next week or two - it is still so new, its barely gotten played in. In fact, its still so new, Bruce didn't even get a chance to unstring it after its initial setup and do the final detailing on it - I'll take it back and leave it with him in a few months to get that done. Its mostly for the glamour shots - its playing beautifully now, and can only get better, which is a pretty scary thought in itself -

I plan to swing by again today and take a listen to the new classical, just to compare to the blanca. But in the mean time, just to prove its true, a couple obligatory pics -

The simple, clean, and incredibly tasteful choices Bruce made for this build are so much finer than anything I could have chosen. I love the minimal binding, the clean, simple, but classically perfect lines of the whole instrument, and the materials themselves are just wonderful choices - and he calls these his "secondary" stock. This is why I think that letting an expert luthier like Bruce use his judgement and experience in making the choices required in building an instrument is definitely the best way to go -
Old 01-18-2016, 02:02 PM
Charter Member

Congrats Tad...

From an owner of a guitar made from a sister pernambuco set, 2,600 miles to the east...

Old 01-18-2016, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
I have seen people make fun of "Esteban" for years, but never knew what it meant. This is the first time it came into one of my threads, I think, so I googled it. I had to google Roy Clark too! Looks like I may spend too much time alone at the bench. Oh well.
I saw Roy play this on the Tonight Show years ago and my opinion of him was forever changed . Are you actually saying that you were not familiar with Roy Clark ? Either way , there is so much more to him than Hee Haw as a musician .
I just couldn't resist the Esteban bit . Sorry .
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop