The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 08-08-2014, 03:59 PM

Default Help with a research question!

I'm trying to track down a book about lutherie -- possibly out of print--by a California luthier named Arthuer Oberholser or Overholster. Not sure of the spelling of the last name. Would be grateful for any leads! thank you
Old 08-08-2014, 06:22 PM

Arthur E. Overholtzer: Classic Guitar Making

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Sear...rholtzer&sts=t

http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Guitar.../dp/093053400X
Old 08-08-2014, 07:01 PM

Fascinating. When I click your amazon.com link, it takes me to amazon.ca - I'm in Canada. The price of the book from .ca is $53.35; the price from .com is $17.99.

Anyway, I'd been thinking about that book not too long ago. I once owned a copy of it 30 years ago, but have long since misplaced it or someone borrowed it. Regardless, back in the day, I studied it well. He was a retired machinist and made *all* of his jigs and fixtures out of aluminum. He had some interesting, different ideas on things, just as David Russell Young did, both from the same time period: http://www.amazon.com/The-Steel-Stri.../dp/0933224117. Both were amongst the first books on guitar making in the English language - though Irving Sloane's book predated them. Influential in their time, all of them are pretty dated by current standards and methodologies. A lot of things have changed in guitar making in the last 30 years; some have stayed the same.
Old 08-09-2014, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
Fascinating. When I click your amazon.com link, it takes me to amazon.ca - I'm in Canada. The price of the book from .ca is $53.35; the price from .com is $17.99.

that is interesting. i get taken to the us site. i'm guessing amazon.com is redirecting you based on some user/cookie settings (or lack thereof).
Old 08-09-2014, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post
that is interesting. i get taken to the us site. i'm guessing amazon.com is redirecting you based on some user/cookie settings (or lack thereof).
That's also what my assumption was. A bit Machiavellian given that I clicked the link for .com. I've shopped at both.
Old 08-09-2014, 06:28 PM
Charter Member

I still have my copy of the Overholtser book.. An interesting read, and some pretty good tips, but a lot of stuff that's out of the mainstream in guitar making these days.
Old 08-10-2014, 11:25 AM

Many thanks guys. This be the one! I'm interviewing Don MacRostie, maker of Red Diamond mandolins and he cited this book as one of his early influences.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical