The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-28-2017, 10:08 AM

Default Howard Klepper

I had the pleasure of playing one of Howard’s wonderful guitars at Eric Schoenberg’s shop in Tiburon Wednesday. It is a testimony to his top shelf luthiery and bittersweet knowing that Howard May never build again after the fire.
Do yourself a favor and stop by the shop to experience his work.
Old 10-28-2017, 01:19 PM

That is bittersweet indeed. He is a fantastic builder.

But I also understand the sentiment behind his decision... It would be one thing to hang it up for a few years... But to be able to pick it back up because you still had the tools and materials from wherever you stopped.. Completely another thing to be well into "retirement age" when everything is burned to ash. No tools, no supplies, no wood, no shop... Starting over is a challenge at that point....

And then you have to consider how many more "good years" do you have at 69? 5? 10? What are you rebuilding for? To work till you die? If Howard wants to retire - I hardly begrudge him that.... He has earned it..

If anything - my hope is that he will be able to help out aspiring builders - perhaps to show them the ropes and to improve the "learning curve". I wish I had a Howard Klepper available - as I need somebody like that to help me improve my builds...

Yesterday - I visited a yardsale at the "estate" of Bob Shue - a mandolin, dobro, and guitar maker as well as lead in the band Southern Junction... I bought a few luthier tools and the Kay guitar beater posted in the other thread from his kids... He died at 80 - still building mandolins... He had about 5 at various states of unfinished.. Luckily the family decided to sell some of it off rather than burn everything wooden and haul the rest to the dump....
Old 10-28-2017, 02:52 PM

Has it been confirmed that Howard won't be building anymore? As talented, passionate and skilled as he is, it would't surprise me if he didn't get involved in guitar construction in some way ...
Old 10-28-2017, 02:53 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

All of Howard's guitars that I've played have been exceptional, eye-opening instruments. I sure hope we haven't seen the last of his work.

JR
Old 10-28-2017, 03:00 PM

I also played a Klepper in Tibouron some years back. It was one of the best 3 or 4 guitars I've ever played.
Old 10-28-2017, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckjohn View Post

And then you have to consider how many more "good years" do you have at 69?
Uhhh .... let's not wish time away ... Howard is only 68 ... he won't be 69 until December.

I hope that Howard does what he is exceptionally well-qualified to do, and which I suggested to him years ago, and that is to write his memoirs, combined with his building philosophy. That would be the coffee-table book to end all coffee-table books.... and I hereby wish to state that I want to reserve signed copy #1.
Old 10-28-2017, 08:45 PM
Charter Member

Which one did you play?
Old 10-28-2017, 09:50 PM

http://om28.com/Search?vendor=V130926001
Old 10-29-2017, 05:10 AM

What a terrible loss for Howard and everyone else that lost their homes. It was hard to watch. Wishing you all the best Howard
Old 10-29-2017, 09:46 AM
Guest 1928

It’s a difficult situation and I wouldn’t criticize any decision Howard makes, but I do wish him the best in moving past the the loss of his home and shop. I also hope, selfishly perhaps, that he will continue building guitars. Howard and I have chatted on forums for many years and I’ve always learned something by watching and listening. My experience going through the building process with him was delightful beyond description, as is the guitar that resulted. I’d like to see others to experience that with Howard.
Old 10-29-2017, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Yates View Post
It’s a difficult situation and I wouldn’t criticize any decision Howard makes, but I do wish him the best in moving past the the loss of his home and shop. I also hope, selfishly perhaps, that he will continue building guitars. Howard and I have chatted on forums for many years and I’ve always learned something by watching and listening. My experience going through the building process with him was delightful beyond description, as is the guitar that resulted. I’d like to see others to experience that with Howard.
Amen to that, Todd. Whatever Howard decides to do will be the right decision for him.

In the meantime , it can only be beneficial to let him know through this cyber medium that he is still, and will continue to be, in the forefront of our thoughts.
Old 10-29-2017, 09:09 PM

This is sad news indeed.

It is a loss to the luthierie industry for a very experienced and respected luthier to have to prematurely cease his practice.

If he wants to continue, perhaps he can in the short term share tools and space with other luthiers and keep himself in the game so to speak. I notice that many luthiers are already doing this as it is more economical to do so. The benefit to younger luthiers of working with him would be already great where he can also mebtor the next generation at the same tine.
Old 10-29-2017, 09:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Sarad View Post
That is a superlative guitar. I’ve played it many times. A breathtaking example of the vintage Martin sound.
Old 11-01-2017, 05:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
That is a superlative guitar. I’ve played it many times. A breathtaking example of the vintage Martin sound.
Looks like it sold! Congrats to...someone.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop