The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-01-2017, 05:35 AM

If you had told me that that was a giant 10 metre (~33 ft) long pencil, I would have had a much easier time believing what you've just posted! That is some incredible skill from your pal David, wow!

Don't have much to contribute to this thread, but will be following this one closely; I love projects like these. Even if it isn't for sale, bringing something novel like this along to festivals is a great way to garner some extra attention

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 03-01-2017, 06:40 AM

I cannot even imagine how anyone can carve an ivory rope of such thinness!
Old 03-01-2017, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer View Post

That ivory ship is interesting, although the lack of need for braces due to a complete lack of tension makes it irrelevant as an example of how to do a guitar build.
It is irrelevant from a structural standpoint, however it is very relevant in terms of execution, skill, and patience required. It is relevant as a means to prove to oneself that something which may at first seem impossible, is possible. I would argue that's the most important hurdle to overcome. You have to first believe that it can be accomplished. That was my motivation for including the story in the post. Okay, off my soap box.
Old 03-01-2017, 05:45 PM

Quote:
- The soundboard and back must have braces. The challenge of including braces must not be overcome by simply making an overly thick top, or by carving the braces into the top as one piece. They must be joined, attached, in whatever way possible to achieve the end result of a thin vibrating membrane in the ballpark of a normal soundboard thickness, supported by braces.
This is the linchpin, everything else is easy by comparison.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop