The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-02-2014, 09:44 AM

Default Taylor 110 or GS Mini ?

Hello.
I currently own a Taylor 110 (Legacy model, no longer sold new). I really like it, but am considering a Taylor GS Mini, specifically the mahogany version.
The reason for the GS Mini, in mahogany, is that the smaller scale may be easier to play, and the mahogany will have a softer, deeper tone. My 110 is great, but it is bright and loud, and while I am a fully-grown man, I do not have long or strong fingers, and playing the 110 for long periods starts to cramp-up my left fretting hand a little bit. I guess my question is, is the GS Mini basically just a really good travel guitar, or could it be used as an adult's main guitar? The main thing I am worried about is the very short scale of the GS Mini. On one hand, it will be much easier to fret some chords, but up the neck, the spacing is very tight and cramped.
Your thoughts?
Thank you.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:52 AM

If I'm primarily playing chords (i.e. Bluegrass jam session) I don't feel much difference. On the other hand I'm just beginning to learn fingerpicking and at the moment my attempts are a bit cleaner on the GS Minis I guess because the frets are smaller and I can make movement more quickly.

As I practice I do try to move back and forth from the minis to more full sized instruments.
Ome Wizard banjo
Deering Eagle II Openback banjo

Full Time RVer mainly in California & Arizona
Old 10-02-2014, 09:55 AM

Eagle - are you planning on keeping the 110 AND buying the Mini Mahogany? Or will you sell the 110? I have a Mini and even though I have fairly large hands, can play capoed up to the 7th ok. But it does become cramped after that. Not that I play higher very often anyway.
Ian
Old 10-02-2014, 10:05 AM

not sure yet if the GS will be in addition to the 110 or a replacement
It depends on finances. GS Minis are selling for 499 new.
and not sure if I will miss the 110 or not too
so I need to make a good decision
Old 10-02-2014, 10:25 AM

That's a tough one. For me personally, my GS Mini is strictly a camping and travel guitar. It does have great tone but it just doesn't sound like a full-grown guitar. I once compared the spruce-top and the mahogany-top Mini side by side, and heard almost no difference. That was a while ago, though, and my ears might not have been very developed then.

The Mini's short scale makes it a constant temptation because it's so easy to play. My hands do feel cramped, though, even on the first and second fret, and I have small hands for a guy. I guess it all depends on what one is looking for. For couch picking, the Mini is fantastic. But if one is looking for a full guitar sound, especially in a solo or band setting, not so much.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 10-02-2014, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanEagle View Post
The main thing I am worried about is the very short scale of the GS Mini. On one hand, it will be much easier to fret some chords, but up the neck, the spacing is very tight and cramped.
The GS Mini is a wonderful guitar. The tone is great and the volume is surprisingly significant, but, to address your concern about feeling cramped, (for me, at least), the Mini is not a viable option. I found the chord fingerings to be extremely tight and awkward on this short scale. If you're gonna play the Mini as your main guitar, you'll undoubtedly get used to it, but to switch back and forth is challenging.

-Warren
My Website
Old 10-02-2014, 10:42 AM

I've had both simultaneously (but my GS Mini was the spruce over laminated sapele version, not mahogany-topped as you're hoping to get). I GREATLY preferred the 110. I have small hands and slim fingers and I still couldn't get over how cramped my fingers were on the GS Mini.

If you want a short scale and mellower tone with your 110, do what I did as I do with all my acoustic guitars: tune down a semitone or whole tone, and add a capo where appropriate.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:45 AM

Your cramping is not coming from playing the 110, just need to keep playing and your hand will strengthen over time. Especially common for newer players (from not relaxing and "trying too hard"), but can be true for anyone if you play longer than you're used to.

2018 Taylor 812ce 12-fret DLX
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e Koa
Old 10-02-2014, 10:50 AM

Sorry, when I said "cramping", I didn't mean to imply that my hands/fingers were "cramping up". I meant that my slim fingers were crammed together on a GS Mini which has a short scale and 1 11/16" nut width. There's just not enough room for me. I'm imagining someone who has larger hands than me who sees the GS Mini as a ukelele or a toy because it's so small.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

Have you tried any other guitars to see if you can improve your comfort?? Sounds like you are not set on just a "travel guitar". Try some other brands. I think you would miss the nice sound of the 110.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTwang View Post
That's a tough one. For me personally, my GS Mini is strictly a camping and travel guitar. It does have great tone but it just doesn't sound like a full-grown guitar. I once compared the spruce-top and the mahogany-top Mini side by side, and heard almost no difference. That was a while ago, though, and my ears might not have been very developed then.

The Mini's short scale makes it a constant temptation because it's so easy to play. My hands do feel cramped, though, even on the first and second fret, and I have small hands for a guy. I guess it all depends on what one is looking for. For couch picking, the Mini is fantastic. But if one is looking for a full guitar sound, especially in a solo or band setting, not so much.
I think DT is right about this. I love my GS Mini, but I wouldn't want to rely upon it as my only guitar unless personal body-size or other, similar considerations compelled me to.

Greg Rappleye
Old 10-02-2014, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTP View Post
my slim fingers were crammed together on a GS Mini which has a short scale and 1 11/16" nut width.
This is me too
I loved the mini at first and now I seldom play it.
Wish it had the neck of my AC240.
Old 10-02-2014, 01:09 PM
Charter Member

I have a GS Mini hog and a 210ce. I really like both, but I will tell you the 210ce gets played a lot more. They are different beasts. The Mini is tighter (more cramped as you were wondering), but it works for me (I'm a good sized guy). If you're happy with the sound of your 110, the Mini will be a really good second guitar. It's fun to play, comfortable, and travels well. All your friends will want to play it. But it will not sound like your 110. It really won't replace your 110.

You need both.

In my not so humble opinion of course.
Old 10-02-2014, 02:04 PM

I'd look at an Alvarez "parlor". They come in a few favors, have a very easy 24" scale length, and an 1 3/4" nut. Solid top mahogany is $369, and the spruce top version is $399 (AP70). I had their all solid wood Masterwork MP70, and it has volume and tone galore. They have slotted head stocks, and that's a bonus in my eyes. I put parlor in quotes, because it's a bit larger than a parlor, and more like a Martin 00 in size. Alvarez uses a very clever bridge design, so you want have to worry about a shallow break angle with these guitars. I owned a GS Mini until I found the Alvarez. The Alvarez is a 12 fret guitar, but things get pretty cramped on the Taylor at that point.
Old 10-02-2014, 02:07 PM

Thanks to all for the great input!

I am stuck though, I hardly ever travel, and when I am at the beach, I never even think about taking a guitar, just my boogie board! I never go camping either, so there goes the travel/beach/camping guitar angle.
So, looks like the best idea is to stick with my 110 and enjoy it.
Do you know if Taylor makes a guitar with a scale length somewhere between the 110 and the GS Mini?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion