The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-02-2014, 06:45 AM

Default String reccommendations for my Charis SJ

Played my Charis 13 Fret SJ/Florentine cutaway and am enjoying it, but something just feels different about the strings on it. Am used to playing lights and am not sure what gauge is on it now. Went to his website but couldn't find notes on strings.

What gauge do other folks play on their Charis SJ ?

John
13 Fret Charis SJ
Martin D-41
Halcyon 12 Fret 000
A&L Ami
McIlroy A30c
Taylor 610 LTD
Martin DCPA1
Seagull Original
Gretsch White Falcon
Epi LP 60's Tribute Plus (Ebony)
Epi LP 60's Tribute Plus (HC Burst)
Epi Swingster Royale
Gibson LP Trad Pro II
Godin Exit 22
Old 10-02-2014, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

Hi John,

I have never played a 13-fret Charis SJ, so you can take my advice with a bucket of salt. However, I do own an Olson SJ, cedar/EIR and many of Bill Wise SJ designs have a fair number of similarities to the Olson SJ design.

On my Olson SJ I find that I prefer Martin SP 80/20 light gauge strings. They add brightness that I feel I need for my playing style. I'm a finger picker and use a short thumb pick and fairly short finger nails, so my tone is not overly bright compared to someone who plays with longer finger nails and perhaps their thumb nail.

When I hear a guitar for the first time, I assess the tone as either dark or bright. For a darker sounding guitar, I tend to try 80/20 first; for a brighter guitar, I tend to use PB strings. Once I try something, I adjust from there.

Enjoy your new guitar, John. It really is a beauty!

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion