The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-02-2014, 06:36 AM

Default Need help in identification of this Yamaha acoustic guitar

Hi, all!
Sorry for my English, i need your help in identification of this Yamaha acoustic guitar.
There no sticker with model number, the only word i see is "Yamaha" at the headstock. As the seller said, guitar is old, and the sticker has been missed (???).
I have the doubts is it original Yamaha guitar or it is fake, because i've never seen this headstock at Yamaha acoustic. The form of the heastock looks like Takamine headstock...
Frets has figured inlays not simple dot's.
May be somebody know does this guitar Yamaha or not?
I add pictures of the guitar, sorry for quality, photo's made by seller.

Last edited by Riff_Al; 10-02-2014 at 09:31 AM.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:14 AM

Pictures are not the best but from what I see there are too many contradictory elements here. Head stock as you say is the first that leaps out at me. Then the ornamentation on the neck with no corresponding detail on the head stock is troubling as well.

Typically Yamaha is big on balance in their designs and this guitar seems to have accouterments splattered here and there.

If it was an attempt to fake a Yamaha I'd have to guess there were shooting for ripping off the top of the line L36 Custom or some similar high end model.

Is there a truss rod on it? Things just aren't adding up.. I'd be very cautious.

My site: Personal Blog

Yamaha LL16R-12 L Series A.R.E.
Yamaha FG-75
Fender CF 60 CE
Ibanez AF75TDG
Epiphone Les Paul Std PlusPRO
Eastman MB515 Mando
Yamaha YPT230 Keyboard
Old 10-02-2014, 08:11 AM

Not a Tak either...headstock is too long
Old 10-02-2014, 09:57 AM

Thank you for response!
I do not know about truss rod, the seller cannot say anything more - as he say he is not the guitar player...

About headstock - i cannot find any Yamaha guitar in Google with this headstock: https://www.google.ru/search?q=yamah...ed=0CAYQ_AUoAQ
Also machine heads are different that usually come with Yamaha guitars.

Here the picture with typically headstocks of some guitar brands. We can see, that headstock of this guitar looks like Takamine...

Even more - in Google i cannot find any Yamaha's with this or similar ornamentation on the neck.

Now i'm sure - guitar is fake, i will not buy it.

Last edited by Riff_Al; 10-02-2014 at 10:02 AM.
Old 10-02-2014, 02:34 PM

Yeah, the pickgaurd is wrong as well I think (it could be aftermarket, but at this point there is to much wrong here). Yamaha, or at least all the Yamahas I have seen, have a distinct "Yamaha Shape".. the pickgaurds curve around the rosette to the fretboard. (I'm no Yamaha expert though.. )

"Those who wish to appear wise among fools, among the wise seem foolish."
Quintilian
Old 10-02-2014, 02:57 PM

Someone's done some work on it, I doubt it came from any factory like that.
It looks like the YAMAHA on the headstock is one of their amp badges, and someone started replacing the inlays on the fretboard, but then left the last 3 dots....
et al

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion