The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-28-2014, 11:20 PM

Default Any more of these deals?

Anymore of these deals?

Anyone who got multiples of Bedells willing to sell one to me instead or returning it? Much appreciated.

jdhchang at yahoo dot com.

Thank you!

Jacob
Old 09-29-2014, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddchase View Post
I have one packet of lifespans mediums somewhere, once I find that I might give it a go on the OM. The EJ16s are just a too bright on the OM for me. I mostly fingerpick and want the lovely bass response back before I went and broke a string.

Anyone know the truss rod size on these Bedells?
Mine came with the hex key in the pocket on the gigbag, take a look, it may just be rattling around in there...
-Jim
2009 Martin D-18
2011 Voyage-Air VAOM-02
2014 Martin CEO-7
2015 Gibson J-45
Old 09-29-2014, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB1 View Post
Mine came with the hex key in the pocket on the gigbag, take a look, it may just be rattling around in there...
-Jim
You mean that bag is good for holding something other than a 40 oz. ?

Old 09-29-2014, 08:40 AM

A couple months into my Bedell adventure, and I am starting to sort out their personalities. Contrary to my initial plan, none was returned.

The OH-12-G (all sapele parlor) is a jewel. I have Martin Retro lights on it, and also put a John Pearse armrest on it, as my forearm seriously muted the tone. I have been playing guitar over 40 years, and this was the first I've owned that really demanded an armrest. The tone is full and balanced without the slightest hint of boxy. It is versatile, but is particularly responsive to jazz and hybrid picking. Excellent fit and finish throughout. Music Unlimited in Kingston MA made this a very enjoyable purchase. Very reasonable at $599 with OHSC. The other two are blowouts (Zzounds and AMS, respectively).

The TBCE-18-G (Sitka over sapele) is clear, loud and direct. I have D'Addario medium PBs on it (not coated). It loves to be flatpicked and aggressively strummed. Nice dry, woody tone, but sort of swallows the subtleties of jazz/pop/funk pick stylings. Having a ball playing bluegrass with it. Funny that this is the one with the cutaway, since I don't play it up the neck as much as the others. This one looks like a fret was dressed on the low E side of the fretboard where the binding appears patched. No other issues.

The MB-17-G (cedar over sapele) is not as clearly suited to any style of music as the others, but if I could only bring one to a gig, this would be it. It works well for pop and rock. The cedar top rewards softer playing, but sounds fine when driven harder too. I have Dean Markley Helix 80/20 Custom light (12-53) strings on it, which sound fine. Not as loud as the dread for flatpicking, but brings out my hybrid picking much better, and is more aggressive sounding than the parlor. There is a little gob of glue at the edge of the soundhole nearest the bridge that isn't pretty, and there is a buzz around the 14th fret on the G and D strings that may indicate a high fret that needs to be dressed.

I was a bit worried that three Sapele guitars would be too similar, but it is a non-issue. These each have their own personalities. Three sizes and three top woods helps. Even my wife understands the differences!!! I will continue to experiment with strings, and these guitars also reward trying different picks. I am very relieved the blowout appears to be over, because these are so good that I would certainly be in for at least one more if available. Remarkable guitars, amazing deals. Very, very pleased.
Bedell TBA-24-G
Bedell TBCE-18-G
Gurian S3M (1978)
Taylor GS Mini-e Bass
Old 09-29-2014, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GangstaPat View Post
You mean that bag is good for holding something other than a 40 oz. ?

What else could you possibly need?
Old 09-29-2014, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkLine View Post
A couple months into my Bedell adventure, and I am starting to sort out their personalities. Contrary to my initial plan, none was returned.

The OH-12-G (all sapele parlor) is a jewel. I have Martin Retro lights on it, and also put a John Pearse armrest on it, as my forearm seriously muted the tone. I have been playing guitar over 40 years, and this was the first I've owned that really demanded an armrest. The tone is full and balanced without the slightest hint of boxy. It is versatile, but is particularly responsive to jazz and hybrid picking. Excellent fit and finish throughout. Music Unlimited in Kingston MA made this a very enjoyable purchase. Very reasonable at $599 with OHSC. The other two are blowouts (Zzounds and AMS, respectively).

The TBCE-18-G (Sitka over sapele) is clear, loud and direct. I have D'Addario medium PBs on it (not coated). It loves to be flatpicked and aggressively strummed. Nice dry, woody tone, but sort of swallows the subtleties of jazz/pop/funk pick stylings. Having a ball playing bluegrass with it. Funny that this is the one with the cutaway, since I don't play it up the neck as much as the others. This one looks like a fret was dressed on the low E side of the fretboard where the binding appears patched. No other issues.

The MB-17-G (cedar over sapele) is not as clearly suited to any style of music as the others, but if I could only bring one to a gig, this would be it. It works well for pop and rock. The cedar top rewards softer playing, but sounds fine when driven harder too. I have Dean Markley Helix 80/20 Custom light (12-53) strings on it, which sound fine. Not as loud as the dread for flatpicking, but brings out my hybrid picking much better, and is more aggressive sounding than the parlor. There is a little gob of glue at the edge of the soundhole nearest the bridge that isn't pretty, and there is a buzz around the 14th fret on the G and D strings that may indicate a high fret that needs to be dressed.

I was a bit worried that three Sapele guitars would be too similar, but it is a non-issue. These each have their own personalities. Three sizes and three top woods helps. Even my wife understands the differences!!! I will continue to experiment with strings, and these guitars also reward trying different picks. I am very relieved the blowout appears to be over, because these are so good that I would certainly be in for at least one more if available. Remarkable guitars, amazing deals. Very, very pleased.
That's awesome, man. Glad you're happy. I'm still loving my mb18.
Old 10-02-2014, 01:04 AM

Found one hex key from all the cases and strangely it was in the Cort case that one of them was shipped in. Same case as the Bedell, same color and everything but just says Cort on the front instead. Go figure.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddchase View Post
Found one hex key from all the cases and strangely it was in the Cort case that one of them was shipped in. Same case as the Bedell, same color and everything but just says Cort on the front instead. Go figure.
Same experience. I got 2 hex keys from 6 guitars. Not complaining though. I did get a Breedlove box!
Old 10-02-2014, 08:12 AM

I was one of the poor folk who lost out on the Bedell blowout due to the Amazon/Sam Ash debacle.

Amusingly, Sam Ash just sent me this email:

"Hello JEFFREY,

We would like to thank you for purchasing from Sam Ash. Your opinions are important to us so we would like to invite you to rate your recent purchase.
Your Recent Purchases:

Performance Series MB-28-G Orchestra Acoustic Guitar"
Yamaha FSX-5
Yamaha LS-TA
Yamaha CG-TA
Epiphone EJ-200SCE
Breedlove Wildwood Organic Concert
Hohner Essential Roots SOSB
Epiphone Houndog Roundneck
Dobro Model 29
Taylor 214ce-N
Cordoba C9 Spruce
1972 Pablo De La Cruz Classical
? Eusebio Huipe Cedar/PE Flamenco
Godin Multiac Duet Ambiance
Cordoba Stage
Old 10-15-2014, 10:19 AM

I am considering a sale of my Bedell MB-28-G. I paid $399 at AMS during the Blowout. I told myself that I would sell to a forum member as a top priority if I am ever dumb enough to even consider letting this guitar go. No guarantee, but I will simply sell for my purchase price plus shipping and paypal fees.

I'm eyeing a Taylor 414ce and thanks to wife and private school for the kid, if I make that purchase, the Bedell will probably need to go to raise cash. I might come to my senses, but I'm putting it out there.

If you missed out and want to buy, let me know.
Old 10-15-2014, 02:28 PM

Hi Brick is Red,

I would be grateful if you would consider selling the guitar to me. Please let me know. My email is jdhchang at yahoo dot com. Thank you!

Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick is Red View Post
I am considering a sale of my Bedell MB-28-G. I paid $399 at AMS during the Blowout. I told myself that I would sell to a forum member as a top priority if I am ever dumb enough to even consider letting this guitar go. No guarantee, but I will simply sell for my purchase price plus shipping and paypal fees.

I'm eyeing a Taylor 414ce and thanks to wife and private school for the kid, if I make that purchase, the Bedell will probably need to go to raise cash. I might come to my senses, but I'm putting it out there.

If you missed out and want to buy, let me know.
Old 10-15-2014, 02:45 PM

Default Catalog of Bedell guitar models and features?

Hi all,

Do any of you have a link to where I can download a pdf of Bedell guitar models? I saw it a few weeks ago, but can't seem to locate it now. Much appreciated.

Jacob
Old 10-15-2014, 06:19 PM

U know it looks like they still have stock on that sale
http://www.samash.com/heritage-serie...ates-_-na-_-na
Old 10-15-2014, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhchang View Post
Hi all,

Do any of you have a link to where I can download a pdf of Bedell guitar models? I saw it a few weeks ago, but can't seem to locate it now. Much appreciated.

Jacob
The link I shared a while ago appears to be dead, so I sent you a PM with a link to it via my dropbox. If anyone else needs it, let me know.
Old 10-16-2014, 08:14 PM

Jacob, If you are looking for Bedell's description of the Pre-2014 Guitars. Go to their website, www.Bedellguitars.com, go to the bottom of any page where they have Support, in the 3rd column. the last on the list is "Pre-2014 Product" Performance & Heritage are listed and described.
Breedlove Passport All-Hog Parlor 2014
Larrivee OM-02 2004
Guild GAD F-130
Seagull Entourage Rustic Mini Jumbo 2011
Zager ZAD 20 2004
Takamine GS430S
Martin LXM
3 Antique Classics

Good Things Come in Small Packages

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion