The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-25-2024, 06:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biosphere View Post
It's unfortunate to hear that Eastman beats Bedell in the low-end register, as Eastmans are already pretty bright (almost too bright) in my opinion.
Hi Biosphere
You are reading an 8 year old thread…not sure that is giving current info. My experience with Eastman is not what you expressed (almost too bright).

But it's been more than 5 years since I played either an Eastman or Bedell (and I have been favorably impressed by both brands with the guitars that I've played).

I've played 2 Bedell, and they were stellar…amazing actually. I was actually surprised when playing the first one.

When I heard the price my friend had paid, I was tempted to pursue one for myself, but the place that sold it to him was no longer in business.

I love guitars with a lot of sustain, and dynamic range (volume). The Bedells I played both had this in quantities I did not expect.

Like all guitars, buying over the internet is a risk. I'm not sure the two I played are typical, but they sure receive great reviews on this forum.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-22-2024, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikravchik View Post
Yes, their solid wood models have a very rich sound. You can tell I'm happy with them from my signature.
I have 2 of the BDD-18-M from about 2011 or so....the company said they were the last of the laminate back and sides...solid sitka top...I bought the first one because it was the loudest guitar I ever heard at the time. The other one I have isn't as loud but still up there...
The first one has a thinner top by a millimeter...I didn't play them for a couple years and they dried out in my new house....the first one got a cracked top....was going to throw it out...only spent a 100.00 for each one. spent 10 minutes regluing the top crack....said what the heck lets see what it does...it became a monster....moral of the story....these guitars will become huge when they age....sounds like a vintage D18. The other one didn't dry out as much so it's not quite as open yet but it's getting there.
This is the first time I've had a cheap guitar with a solid top that opened up like a 5k dollar instrument. The laminate back and side mean nothing for these two guitar....I believe they are Sapelle....definately some type of mahogany....
I had put a fishman preamp with piezo in the top side of the guitar....took it out when I was fixing the crack and wow!!!! The bass exploded with volume and tone! It's a sound port now....left it out.....
I cut a 2" sound port in the side of the other one.....these guitars love a sound port. They're laminated so it's not a big deal to cut the hole without bracing the side. Takes 10 minutes...a hole saw and a brown sharpy from the dollar store to color the edge a bite...a little sand paper to smooth the edge.
Old 04-22-2024, 08:32 AM

Default newer ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Biosphere
You are reading an 8 year old thread…not sure that is giving current info. My experience with Eastman is not what you expressed (almost too bright).

But it's been more than 5 years since I played either an Eastman or Bedell (and I have been favorably impressed by both brands with the guitars that I've played).

I've played 2 Bedell, and they were stellar…amazing actually. I was actually surprised when playing the first one.

When I heard the price my friend had paid, I was tempted to pursue one for myself, but the place that sold it to him was no longer in business.

I love guitars with a lot of sustain, and dynamic range (volume). The Bedells I played both had this in quantities I did not expect.

Like all guitars, buying over the internet is a risk. I'm not sure the two I played are typical, but they sure receive great reviews on this forum.

The newer BDD-18-M are not the same.....after about 2012 or so I don't believe they were made in china any more....I believe they started using solid back and sides when they started making them in the USA...some of those chinese guitars are monsters when they age. I have two of them....they are the perfect example of ...make sure you buy a solid top on a cheap guitar. They will age and open up...at least some them. One of mine sounds like a 1935 Martin D18....I know cause I play with about 8 guys who have more money then God and all have expensive martins....My Bedell sounds very much like a great D18. (Not all D-18's are great). One guy has a 1964 D28 with brazilian B/S...you can keep that garbage guitar. sounds like crap. I would trade it only to sell his guitar the next day cause people get stupid when they hear the words Brazilian wood. some are crap some are amazing.
I've played my Bedell's side by side with vintage martins and it always amazes me....I have them hit a G chord so I can say....this thing sounds better then a old vintage martin. I don't say it out loud cause the Martin lovers are stupid crazy because of the name.

Last edited by cugir321; 04-22-2024 at 08:39 AM.
Old 04-22-2024, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cugir321 View Post
I've played my Bedell's side by side with vintage martins and it always amazes me....I have them hit a G chord so I can say....this thing sounds better then a old vintage martin. I don't say it out loud cause the Martin lovers are stupid crazy because of the name.
Since I made my post in February, I got to try a couple of limited edition Bedells - Adirondack Cocobolo and Adirondack Mahogany.

I did not like them and would not rate them alongside HD-28s, let alone vintage Martins.

They had less bass and fundamentals than the Breedloves in the same store. I had heard that Bedells were more fundamental compared to Breedloves which had more complexity, however, I found the Breedloves excelled in both areas more. And these were concert shaped Breedloves, versus dreadnought Bedells.

Which was kind of disappointing, as given they're both owned by Bedell I would have hoped they would have been comparable to Breedloves just different. I do like Breedloves. I would have liked to have liked Bedell, as if I did, it would save me from having to spend more money on Martins. I guess you get what you pay for.
Old 04-22-2024, 02:11 PM

My favorite Bedell was one I happened to play recently. It was a 1964 Special Edition dread (Adirondack/H. mahogany). That guitar was fantastic! One of the better dreads I've played fingerstyle, though it also sounded good with a pick. Beautifully balanced and very resonant.
Old 04-22-2024, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBowman View Post
My favorite Bedell was one I happened to play recently. It was a 1964 Special Edition dread (Adirondack/H. mahogany). That guitar was fantastic! One of the better dreads I've played fingerstyle, though it also sounded good with a pick. Beautifully balanced and very resonant.
I played one of those recently and had the same thought. I also played one of their limited edition orchestra models with figured IRW and loved it so much I bought it.

I tried really hard not to but it was so good I couldn't resist
Old 04-22-2024, 03:39 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyFB View Post
They have a nice lineup. They partnered up with Breedlove a few years ago, for whatever that is worth knowing.
According to Wikipedia (the true source of all information ), it says that Breedlove guitars was sold "to Tom and Molly Bedell's Two Old Hippies LLC of Bend, OR, which owned Tom Bedell Guitars and Great Divide Guitars, as well as retail stores."

And if you following the references (like I did, because I can't leave it alone), one reference says "merged" and one says "bought". Without doubt, the two companies share some DNA, whether it's philosophy, shared sourcing of materials, sharing workspace, etc. and certainly expect both to share same sense of quality control.

I'm certainly a Breedlove fan. If I walked into a shop and saw a Bedell, I would not hesitate to go check it out.

G&L: Fullerton Deluxe ASAT Special
Old 04-22-2024, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaveez View Post
According to Wikipedia (the true source of all information ), it says that Breedlove guitars was sold "to Tom and Molly Bedell's Two Old Hippies LLC of Bend, OR, which owned Tom Bedell Guitars and Great Divide Guitars, as well as retail stores."

And if you following the references (like I did, because I can't leave it alone), one reference says "merged" and one says "bought". Without doubt, the two companies share some DNA, whether it's philosophy, shared sourcing of materials, sharing workspace, etc. and certainly expect both to share same sense of quality control.

I'm certainly a Breedlove fan. If I walked into a shop and saw a Bedell, I would not hesitate to go check it out.
Two Old Hippies (Headed by Tom and Molly Bedell) owns Weber Fine Acoustic Instruments, Breedlove Stringed Instruments and Bedell Guitars.

Tom Bedell has an interesting history and started importing guitars from Japan at a very young age then left to run his family fishing business for many years (Berkley Fishing). After selling the company they bought a music store and he started building guitars. Bedell guitars are very, very nice IMO.
Old 04-22-2024, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacnac View Post
I played one of those recently and had the same thought. I also played one of their limited edition orchestra models with figured IRW and loved it so much I bought it.

I tried really hard not to but it was so good I couldn't resist
Congrats! I find the Bedell and Breedlove OMs to be very "lyrical" when fingerpicking them.

That Bedell dread was the kind of guitar I could be happy playing for a very long time. I just didn't - and don't - need another big guitar!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion