The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-22-2017, 06:40 PM

Default More Gibson developments

After reading other threads about trouble at Gibson, I found this article interesting: http://www.musicradar.com/news/gibso...emphis-factory

This article mentions Gibson's $520 million debt. It looks like the cutbacks continue.

Jerry
Old 11-02-2017, 12:41 AM
Guest3224

It's very concerning what's going on at that company.
This video was just released: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3MgqYvKzPc

Youtube has a new horror story video each week.
Old 11-02-2017, 01:16 AM

Hmmmm.

Maybe they are.....

“Moving To Montana”

Sorry, couldn’t help it.

BluesKing777.
Old 11-02-2017, 02:25 AM

I'm so glad I grabbed my 2015 Memphis ES-335 in cherry red when I did.
It's a dream guitar.
Old 11-02-2017, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
Hmmmm.

Maybe they are.....

“Moving To Montana”

Sorry, couldn’t help it.

BluesKing777.
You reckon they’ll raise them up a crop of dental floss?

whm
Old 11-02-2017, 05:19 AM
Charter Member

I was at GC recently. One sales persons asked ''where are the Gibson Electrics?'' He was told that they were all on the clearance rack.

That didn't sound very good.
Old 11-02-2017, 05:35 AM

Ironic that a company who has had some of the best designers this country ever produced struggles to get market notice.

Most people can probably name more individuals who worked for Gibson than any other company.
Old 11-02-2017, 05:40 AM

Once a company is "perceived" the way Gibson is now the only thing holding it together is people who have a huge financial stake in it and are hanging on for dear life.
This is so sad and disconcerting that an iconic company of the guitar industry should be failing as Gibson is. Unless they are sold and sold quickly to the right people, it could be the end of Gibson.
The horse may be out of the barn already.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 11-02-2017, 05:51 AM

It would take a warehouse to hold all the rumors that have popped up about Gibson and Fender over the decades. Gibson has been counted out before most recently in the 1980s when Piezo Electronics bought them, immediately cut production to the bone, and put the entire musical instrument division up for sale. It was not that long ago I was reading all kinds of predictions about the demise of Guitar Center scattered through guitar forums. For better or worse they are still with us.
Old 11-02-2017, 06:37 AM

I think the only fact we can derive from all of this is that Gibson is in financial trouble. Other than that and unless you are in the inner circle of know at Gibson, all else is rumors.

Personally, I don't lose any sleep over it. I've tried Gibson guitars in the past and every one of them has had issues I couldn't live with. On the flip side, every strat or PRS I've ever owned has been perfect. If I recall, Fender is in financial disarray as well right? Aren't they in debt up to their knees as well?

The only thing about Gibson that I want to see in the news is that they've fired Henry and are revamping quality. Until then, rumor away!
Old 11-02-2017, 06:52 AM

Love my Les Paul, my CS-336 and my LG-2. Also enough other good guitars have come and gone.

No doubt they've had some tough issues. But when an epic flood devastates the area over several states, and the company "donates" the first guitar off their rebuilt assembly line to Slash, seems priorities are not what they should be.
Old 11-02-2017, 07:35 AM

That video doesn't offer any insight *into* Gibson.. Its a video from "the consumer's perspective"... As such - it simply parrots back forum opinions....

I hate to break this to you guys - but MOST American industry is on the ropes.

I have visited several factories and public utilities (power plants, etc) and they don't look "good". They all look beat up.... And that's a sign that they don't feel like they are making money. This isn't a good sign.
Old 11-02-2017, 08:01 AM

Henry cannot be fired; he owns Gibson.
Old 11-02-2017, 08:21 AM
Charter Member

As a brand name Gibson is very strong and recognized inside and outside of the guitar community. You can ask almost any Joe on the street what Gibson is and they'll respond it's a well-known guitar brand. Now we all know that there have been issues and years that the guitar didn't live up to the hype, but it is still a recognizable and iconic brand.

The Gibson brand and name won't die. I just hope it picks up new leadership that builds on the heritage. I hope the name isn't sold to an investor group that slaps in on budget pac-rim imports that kills the reputation of the brand.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 11-02-2017, 08:52 AM

In some ways, I think Gibson might benefit from going back to their origins and looking at ways to promote their products on a grass roots level. Hold events to draw in players devoted to specific music and then offer some form of minimal support to keep them active and expanding. They don't seem to do the outreach like Martin and Taylor.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion