The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 10:19 AM

Default Resolved please close

Resolved please close

Last edited by Skaman; 11-08-2017 at 07:35 AM.
Old 10-22-2017, 12:35 PM

Don't have the tail wag the dog.

Chose the string height you want at the 12th fret. That will give you how much saddle projection there is at that height. It will also give you the vertical string height from the top to the strings at the bridge. They are what they are. If that gives you the playability you want and sufficient saddle height to have an adequate break angle over the saddle - no buzzing or loss of tone - then you needn't be concerned about the neck angle.
Old 10-22-2017, 04:39 PM

Issue has been resolved

Last edited by Skaman; 11-08-2017 at 07:36 AM.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:00 PM

You could keep playing it if you are happy with the feel, but it seems a neck set is coming up.

You could delay the inevitable by tuning down a half step, or even a whole step....you might even like the sound - I do! (Capo up if you play with others..)

BluesKing777.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaman View Post
I just measured where it hits the bridge with a straight edge. It hits about 3/16” below the top of the bridge. I measured the height of the bridge and it’s much taller than the bridge on my gibson so I’m hoping that’s the reason why it doesn’t rest on top.
If you're concerned, contact Lowden. Get their advice. They know their instruments.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:38 PM

There has almost certainly been some movement in your guitar. This is a known--though somewhat controversial--situation with older Lowdens. Though eventually, virtually any acoustic guitar will need a neck reset (even if it's 100 years from now). I gather that Lowdens are not particularly easy to reset.

I say all this as an avowed Lowden lover. I've owned four Lowdens over the years, as well as two McIlroys and an Avalon. The two older Lowdens I owned each had a low saddle. The two newer Lowdens I owned each had a higher saddle. The two McIlroys had higher saddles. The Avalon had a higher saddle. I still own one of the McIlroys, and I wish I still owned one of the older Lowdens.

If you're really concerned about it, I would take it to a skilled luthier to get their thoughts. If it's not bothering you as-is, then it sounds like you've still got a great guitar on your hands. You say it "plays like a dream." Sounds like a fantastic guitar to me.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:39 PM

Isssue has been resolved

Last edited by Skaman; 11-08-2017 at 07:36 AM.
Old 10-22-2017, 08:21 PM

Well, it's like I said above: it's not a terribly unusual problem on older Lowdens. One day, it will need a neck reset. That day may be many years from now. I am not a luthier personally, but I have been told Lowdens are very difficult guitars on which to reset the necks.

I can't tell you if it's going to need a neck reset in one year or in 50 years. I can tell you that I've never heard anything that sounds quite like an old Lowden.
Old 10-22-2017, 08:41 PM
Charter Member

If you are still in the "trial period" of a new purchase, then you have to ask yourself the question:

"Is this guitar SO good and SO low-priced that having a neck reset and refret done in the near future* worth it?"
("near future" meaning sometime in the next number of years, all other things being equal, but sooner rather than later.)

Other than guitars with bolt-on necks, I don't believe that ANY neck reset is particularly easy or inexpensive. Most times, the tech/luthier will want to do at least a partial refret when doing a neck reset, if not a full refret.

I don't know the construction method on older Lowdens (or new ones, for that matter), but I just had my 1979 Mark Angus F-40 worked on (by Mark) about 4 years ago... cost was $1,000, but he covered half of that with the original warranty, so it was $500... not cheap!

Now, my Angus was built with a "Spanish Heel" (or Spanish Foot) construct, which means that a standard neck reset is not possible. The way mine was accomplished was by removing the old fretboard and installing a new one that was planed to produce the desired neck geometry, and then fretted. Quite a bit of work, but the end result was that there is NO visible trace of having that neck worked on...

I've seen older Martins that have had the neck reset, and no matter how good a job was done, there was still a slight bit (or more) of visible evidence of the repair.

So, it's right there in front of your face... Is it worth it? If the answer is "yes", then proceed and enjoy until the time comes for the neck work... if it's "no", then return it while you can...

Realize that no one can predict how long it may be before the neck work is required to have the guitar function properly, but you'd best be prepared for it if you are just purchasing it now...

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 10-23-2017, 07:18 AM

Local luthier gave it clean bill of health. This issue has been resolved.

Last edited by Skaman; 11-08-2017 at 07:37 AM.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion