The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-20-2017, 01:06 PM

Default Jordan McConnell Accoustic Guitars

I am looking to purchase a once in a lifetime acoustic guitar and have zeroed in on a Jordan McConnell. This beauty is Brazilian Rosewood with a moon spruce top. Workmanship looks incredible but $$$. Also a 15" - 12 fret cutaway. Any comments are much appreciated. Many thanks.
Old 10-21-2017, 10:12 AM

Nobody? That is a shame. One day I hope to have the courage to visit.
Old 10-21-2017, 10:26 AM

Sorry, I do not understand your response.
Old 10-21-2017, 10:29 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman0812 View Post
I am looking to purchase a once in a lifetime acoustic guitar and have zeroed in on a Jordan McConnell. This beauty is Brazilian Rosewood with a moon spruce top. Workmanship looks incredible but $$$. Also a 15" - 12 fret cutaway. Any comments are much appreciated. Many thanks.
I love Jordan's guitars. Had the pleasure of playing Paul Heumiller's McConnell at Swannanoa a few years back. Workmanship is top notch as is tone. If I were to have another custom built he would be in my top three.

I have a 15" Wingert 12 fret cutaway and it is a very versatile instrument. It has a bit of a deeper body and is cocobolo and German spruce.

I cannot imagine you being disappointed with one of Jordan's guitars as long as it fits your playing style and tonal range that you are looking for.

Keep us posted.

Best,
Jayne
Old 10-21-2017, 10:36 AM

Thank you for your response. I you din’t Mind what are your top three. I was also considering a 14 feet Beauregard, Charis and a Wingert. Any thoughts here as well. Many thanks
Old 10-21-2017, 07:41 PM

Its best for you to play the guitar first before you buy to see if you like its tone and responsiveness. I wouldn't rely on clips or others recommendations alone to make your purchasing decisions if you can play first. Each luthier has his or her own unique sound and there is no luthier who can make every guitar he or she makes exceptional. They will always conform to a bell curve.

A good place to do that is to attend guitar shows like Woodstock or to visit shops like guitar gallery, luthierscollection or dream guitars.

For whatever it is worth and for the modern contemporary tone and for the budget you seem to be at in considering a brazilian mcconnell (under and over 20k), i would highly suggest you add to your list of guitars to check out a used Somogyi guitar of the 1998 to 2002 period which is said by some to be his best and John Slobod of circa guitars (he can voice his guitars to sound more contemporary). A ryan signature in brazilian would also bring a different sound profile that is also excellent.

Last edited by gitarro; 10-21-2017 at 07:46 PM.
Old 10-21-2017, 07:46 PM
Charter Member

Like jaymarsch, I also had the joy of playing one of Jordan's guitars a while back at the Swannanoa Gathering. I remember it was an exceedingly fine guitar. Wish I could tell you more specifics, but it was a pleasure to play.
Old 10-21-2017, 08:14 PM

He is definitely on my dream team as well...For that type of budget, the world is open to you really including a Kostal which has not been mentioned yet in this thread. You can also find builders that make an equal guitar in terms of tone, in my opinion, that do not cost that much...I always hate to name names in threads like this, but there are a lot!
Old 10-21-2017, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Sorry, I do not understand your response.
I didn't want this thread to disappear unanswered so I had to say something. Was going to say 'Bueller, Bueller, anyone...' but thought against it. On the popping in to see him I used to live a short walk from where he works, one day when I get the guitars I build up to where I am reasonably happy with them I might look him up. From what I have seen he does exceptional work and given that he is an accomplished musician I would hazard a guess that he has a discerning ear and takes the same care in crafting the sound of his instruments as he does the look. He has qualities that can place him at the upper end of the scale, my building is not in the same realm. But basically I wanted to give the thread another few hours on the first page.
Old 10-21-2017, 10:06 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Thank you for your response. I you din’t Mind what are your top three. I was also considering a 14 feet Beauregard, Charis and a Wingert. Any thoughts here as well. Many thanks
Sorry for the delay in responding, Bluesman. My top three are Kathy Wingert, Jordan McConnell, and Bill Tippin. The voice of their guitars fall right into the tonal range that I am looking for and they each have top notch craftsmanship and consistency in their guitars that I have been fortunate enough to play.

I have heard good things about Bill Charis' guitars but have not had an opportunity to play one. Having had a guitar built by Kathy, I can tell you it was a great experience. She is a wonderful player as well as a builder and can really hone in on what you are looking for.

Really good choices in the builders you have listed.

Best,
Jayne
Old 10-22-2017, 06:31 PM

DO NOT BUY before you play at least one example of each builder. Some of the listed builders were not my cup of tea but others i ended up buying and keeping. These things are far too subjective to go by people's opinions, our ears are also different and we are all after something so unique. I do not think that minimizes the fact that most people can recognize absolute quality but it doesn't necessarily mean it's a good fit for them
Old 10-23-2017, 09:22 PM

Does he sell through dealers?
Old 10-24-2017, 03:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
Does he sell through dealers?
I have seen his guitars for sale on the Dream Guitars website and the Music Emporium but do not know specifically if they are dealers for him.

Best,
Jayne
Old 10-24-2017, 08:26 PM

Dreamguitars is a dealer of his guitars i believe and the owner paul heumille personally plays a mcconnell. Or you can contact the luthier directly.
Old 10-25-2017, 08:00 PM
Charter Member

I love Jordan's signature tone. His guitars have incredible volume, sustain, playability, and are so much fun to play. His guitars have incredible overtones.

A recording on a McConnell.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DF38_oQGO14

An interview with the free press

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/mu...289666131.html

Jordan recorded this song on my new McConnell guitar before he shipped it.

enjoy, This is Jordan playing.

Here is the link to photos of my McConnell.

http://www.mcconnellguitars.com/#/no-054/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
jordan mcconnell 12 fret