The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-20-2017, 09:03 AM

Default Will LR Baggs GigPro preamp work well with ES2?

I've just not been happy with the sound of the ES2 in my Taylor 814ceDLX. Piezo pickups just seem to have that "icepick in the ear" quality and I'm finding the same with the ES2. Someone recommended Tonedexter. And while Tonedexter would be the perfect solution, it would be an expensive one as well.

I happen to own a L.R. Baggs GigPro mini pre-amp that I've been using with my Seymour Duncan Woody XL passive pickup (great soundhole pickup for the price, btw). Beyond my experience with the Woody/GigPro combination I have none with preamps and have only been familiar with internal Taylor systems.

The house system I'll be plugged into tonight is kind of prone to noise. One evening I brought an A/B/Y switch that operates the LED's with a 9v battery and it just fed noise into the house system and I had to disconnect it so I'm a bit concerned about introducing more powered stuff into the mix. While we do have a *quick* (and I mean quick) sound check, I have no control of the wireless iPad controlled sound system.

Does anyone have a recommendation or advice? Will the basic GigPro do a decent job helping me tame the ES2 without injecting additional issues? TIA
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 10-20-2017, 10:21 AM

The GigPro is a miniaturized Para DI of sorts and really just functions to increase gain and output, primarily for passive pickups. The ES2 should have plenty of "power" provided by its internal preamp so the GigPro isn't going to assist in that regard.

It sounds to me like you're seeking toneshaping and not amplification. The Baggs Para DI, Venue, Radial Tonebone PZ series, and the Fishman Platinum (and countless others) offer the tone shaping and DI output that the GigPro doesn't. Some of these impart a "color" to the guitar and others are more transparent, so it really depends on what you want. Preamps are, primarily, not "effects" but amplifiers. A bad sounding pickup won't be fixed by one but a good pickup can be adjusted and enhanced by a good, tune-able, preamp.

The Aura and Tonedexter are preamps but they're also modelers, which is a completely different function. A small version of that technology would be the TC Body Rez and the Boss AD-2, which are a good entry point for that tech.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 10-20-2017, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrErikJ View Post
The GigPro is a miniaturized Para DI of sorts and really just functions to increase gain and output, primarily for passive pickups. The ES2 should have plenty of "power" provided by its internal preamp so the GigPro isn't going to assist in that regard.
So you're saying that the GigPro, even with bass and treble tone knobs won't help much? You may be right in terms of going into the house system, but I've played around with it a bit through my Cube 40 and it does knock of some of the brash, in-your-face sound of the ES2's piezo.

I did research the Body Rez pedal and from what I heard on YouTube that might be one way to go going forward. Local GC which is directly on route to the gig doesn't have it or the AD-2 in stock. Next gig after tonight is 11/3 (or 3 Nov outside the states ). So I may drag the GigPro along and see how it does in the sound check and see if I want to keep it plugged in and going in tandem with the ES2. I'll report back on the outcome.

Thanks for the advice and suggestions.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 10-20-2017, 11:13 AM

If you already have one I would give it a go. I use a preamp with my ES2 Taylor but not for tone. I use a Redeye for the fx loop

I've been chasing that elusive perfect acoustic tone for a while and although it's not perfect I do find the ES2 a pretty good compromise. I realize the "piezo" sound is generally frowned upon here but a little of those upper mids they accentuate really helps to cut through a mix when playing with other instruments. I don't find the ES2 overly "piezo" sounding compared to most.
Have you tried adjusting the Allen screws on the pickup?
Old 10-20-2017, 11:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrErikJ View Post

It sounds to me like you're seeking toneshaping and not amplification. The Baggs Para DI, Venue, Radial Tonebone PZ series, and the Fishman Platinum (and countless others) offer the tone shaping and DI output that the GigPro doesn't. Some of these impart a "color" to the guitar and others are more transparent, so it really depends on what you want. Preamps are, primarily, not "effects" but amplifiers. A bad sounding pickup won't be fixed by one but a good pickup can be adjusted and enhanced by a good, tune-able, preamp.

The Aura and Tonedexter are preamps but they're also modelers, which is a completely different function. A small version of that technology would be the TC Body Rez and the Boss AD-2, which are a good entry point for that tech.
+1 - Totally agree with this post. I'd add that a decent, quiet, EQ pedal (even a 5 band) will work substantially better for what you're looking to do than the GigPro.

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 10-20-2017, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-in-Ohio View Post
+1 - Totally agree with this post. I'd add that a decent, quiet, EQ pedal (even a 5 band) will work substantially better for what you're looking to do than the GigPro.
Yep, EQ seems to be what you primarily need. If you want to try the GigPro, it's definitely worth a try but you may land up over-amplifying your signal at the same time. I agree with Ed that EQ is what you really seem to want. The Body Rez may also help as well.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 10-20-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny.guitar View Post
Have you tried adjusting the Allen screws on the pickup?
No. I know that you have to loosen them when you want to remove the saddle. How do you adjust them for sound?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-in-Ohio View Post
Hmm... Not sure how quiet it is, but I have a cheap Behringer EQ pedal. I've used it on my electrics but our ears tend to tolerate a bit of noise better with electric guitars than with acoustics. It's all very hard in my situation. IF they turn up the monitors it's not the same sound as the house system. Good suggestion. I'll probably just try the Gig Pro if only because I don't have to worry about a power hookup and a fresh batter is good for well over 10 hours.
Old 10-20-2017, 01:38 PM

To adjust the pickup plug it in and back the screw off approx 1 1/2 turns till there's no signal on the 2 strings closest. Then screw it back in so the signal is strong but not too tight. Repeat with all 3 and fine tune to get an even volume & sound you like.
Another thought is you are at the mercy of whatever eq the sound man is giving you. Maybe ask him to back off the mids a touch and see how that sounds?
Old 10-20-2017, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny.guitar View Post
To adjust the pickup plug it in and back the screw off approx 1 1/2 turns till there's no signal on the 2 strings closest. Then screw it back in so the signal is strong but not too tight. Repeat with all 3 and fine tune to get an even volume & sound you like.
Another thought is you are at the mercy of whatever eq the sound man is giving you. Maybe ask him to back off the mids a touch and see how that sounds?
Thanks. The screw thing makes sense. I bought the Woody XL for my other guitars, the XL having adjustable pole pieces. Made a HUGE difference getting a balanced sound. I don't even know why SD even sells Woody's that can't be adjusted. I think it cost me $10 more than the non-adjustable stacked noiseless version.

Getting the sound guy (or girl) to EQ my sound is hard. I'm not sure they have the ears for it. The girl for sure not. I had to beg her to increase the volume on my monitor and she didn't understand why I wanted it louder (and never did get loud enough for me to hear myself). But I'll try. At least with the GigPro tonight I have two sources for volume and balance. It did knock off the excessive highs at home so here's hoping....
Old 10-21-2017, 09:43 AM

UPDATE (for those interested)...

I took the GigPro last night and for the most part took the obnoxiousness out of the sound of the ES2. I left the volume and tone knobs on the guitar in the flat detent positions knocked off a little treble and bass on the GP and had the volume at about 3/4 full. The nice thing about this compact little preamp is that the clip held it nicely to the bottom of my music stand. I had made some adjustments at home with my Cube 40 it was nice to have it right in front of me so I could reach out to it without bending over. While the GP has limited EQ capabilities it is easier to deal with than an EQ pedal which I also own.

Last night was different as we were in a much larger space where the sound actually came from the both sides and to the rear (I think it was a Bose L1 system rather than the normal house system). I could actually hear better which kept me from under or over playing. Mercifully I was the only acoustic and didn't have to compete with others for sound space.

My 814ceDLX sounded rich and full and finally pleasant to my ear and got many compliments. While I still want to try a Body Rez for a more authentic acoustic sound, I was fairly well pleased with how the GigPro worked. Perhaps one day I'll invest in a much better preamp system, but at least I found a temporarly solution- one I already owned.

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification