The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-12-2017, 08:48 AM

Default Flying out to California

Tomorrow I fly to California for the 15th Annual Harp Guitar Gathering where we will be displaying a full range of harp guitars.
Harp guitarists are a rare breed but quickly multiplying in number and I often liken the Harp Guitar Gathering to a gathering of Unicorns.
That will run over the weekend and then next week I will be touring up the coast from San Diego to Santa Barbara mainly promoting the Balor acoustic bass.
I will be doing a presentation at Los Angeles College of Music on Monday and then meeting various bass players along the way.
All this to say that if you happen to be in the Carlsbad area you should really come check out the Harp guitar gathering and if you are anywhere else from there to Santa Barbara and would like to see the Balor or even an X20 that I will also have with me then please get in touch and I can point you to some locations I will be in.
California in October and I get to call it work. I really do have the greatest job in the world.
Alistair
Old 10-12-2017, 09:01 AM

Have fun, hard not to.

Last time I went to California, went to San Diego on a Sunday, rental agency hooked me up with a fire engine red convertible. Decided to kill time downtown, hit a big traffic mess, followed the traffic cops directions, and found myself a participant in the Gay Pride Parade around Balboa Park. I was behind a 70's MG convertible, two guys sitting on the boot with low cut dresses and hairy backs. I waved and smiled and the crowd waved back.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:10 AM
Guest 928

Alistair;

Very nice, it should be a fun trip. I have a friend here who is really interested in the Balor and I'll let him know you will be close.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
Have fun, hard not to.

Last time I went to California, went to San Diego on a Sunday, rental agency hooked me up with a fire engine red convertible. Decided to kill time downtown, hit a big traffic mess, followed the traffic cops directions, and found myself a participant in the Gay Pride Parade around Balboa Park. I was behind a 70's MG convertible, two guys sitting on the boot with low cut dresses and hairy backs. I waved and smiled and the crowd waved back.
WHAT????????... That is quite a story!! Belongs in a movie
Old 10-12-2017, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonius View Post
WHAT????????... That is quite a story!! Belongs in a movie
I used to spend 1 week out of 4 in San Diego. The company used Avis and limited us to compacts. Avis got to know my name, I guess, so they would give me upgrade models and charge me for compact. On that trip, I got a Pontiac convertible. The cops must have been told that the parade cars were convertibles, so they put me in the parade queue when I was trying to get through traffic.

I only felt bad because I was underdressed for the event.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
Have fun, hard not to.

So, are you suggesting that Alistair get a fire engine red convertible rental? I'm guessing he will need a large SUV to carry those new Synergys (Synergies?) from this month's Select Series and a Balor acoustic bass.

Although, playing a Synergy while sitting on the boot of a convertible is likely to draw parade-like waves!
Old 10-12-2017, 02:54 PM

Black Z4 convertible: Check
Black Emerald X20 in passenger seat: Check
Ocean on left a.m. commute: Check
Ocean on right p.m. commute: Check

Being a guitarist in Santa Cruz is the life: Check
Old 10-12-2017, 03:39 PM

Alistair,

On your web site, every synergy page states that the Harp Guitar Gathering is in July. This is October.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom2 View Post
Alistair,

On your web site, every synergy page states that the Harp Guitar Gathering is in July. This is October.

Irish time may be a wee different.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 10-12-2017, 05:33 PM
Guest 928

Alistair always tried to work ahead. But a 9 month lead-time seems a bit excessive.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:56 PM

I want to go!

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 10-12-2017, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
Irish time may be a wee different.
Maybe I need to take the international date line more seriously.
Old 10-13-2017, 01:22 AM

Dear Tom,

Thank you for noticing, we appreciate the heads up. We made the amendment during the night.

Kind Regards,

Sean
Old 10-13-2017, 05:11 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Be sure to wear flowers in your hair... if you're going to San Francisco...

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 10-13-2017, 05:24 AM

Coming into Los Angeles

Bringing in a couple of X20’s

Don’t touch my bags if you please Mr customs man.

(To paraphrase Arlo Guthrie)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber