The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 09-30-2017, 08:07 AM

Default Question about Connecting Acoustic Setup to MacBook Pro for GarageBand Recording

Hi All,

I've been playing some live gigs lately, and I've decided its time to also do some basic recording. I've got a Takamine EG530DLX with a TK40 preamp and a Sennheiser e830 mic running into a Boss VE-8 pedal, which then runs into a Yamaha MG06X mixer for final volume/balance. From there, I'd like to run the sound directly into my 2013 MacBook Pro (with USB and Thunderbolt) for recording, but I don't currently have that final link in the chain set up. (The MacBook doesn't have an omindirectional audio jack, so the headphone slot is output only. So, as far as I can tell, the input needs to go through either the USB or Thunderbolt port.)

I've done some research, and I've found a lot of options/opinions: everything from a simple XLR to USB cable:

https://www.amazon.com/HDE-feet-XLR-.../dp/B0050CEEIW)

to a fairly modest audio interface:

https://www.amazon.com/Behringer-U-C...s=griffin+imic

to a some of the more robust options:

https://www.amazon.com/PreSonus-Audi...821a1c4f3a9eb5

So, I guess my questions are these: if my effects/processing/mixing is all happening upstream of this final connection to the computer, and if I'm planning to record individual mono tracks (really, just a guitar track and a vocal track) and just mix them in GarageBand, what do I really need in order to make that connection correctly? Is there something that works particularly well with GarageBand? What are the best brands/setups for this final link the chain? Is there something I'm missing entirely?
Old 09-30-2017, 09:01 AM

I use USB interfaces from the Focusrite line myself. The Presonus unit you linked might also work. Unless you are very concerned with saving the last few dollars on the price, I would go with a dual input 1/4 inch mono/XLR unit interface.

You aren't planning on doing this, but if sometime you want to record just your guitar and voice without the PA, a unit like the Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 can do that too.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 10-01-2017, 07:20 AM

So here's a follow-up question based on a bit more research:

I like the Focusrite 2i2 option that Frank suggested, but I also discovered that my MG06X is the only mixer in the Yamaha MG line that doesn't have a USB out, and that for $99, I could return mine and get the MG10XU, which does have USB connectivity as well as a number of other tone-shaping features (and 4 more inputs!).

So, here's my new question: all other things being equal, would you recommend sticking with the 6-channel mixer and adding the Focusrite audio interface, or upgrading to the 10-channel mixer with USB? I found a bit online about USB mixers vs. dedicated audio interfaces, but not enough to convince me either way, so any opinions would be appreciated!
Old 10-01-2017, 10:29 AM

I've never gone the USB out from a mixer route. I'm not sure how the feed via USB it will appear Garageband or another DAW. It might be a single stereo file or it might appear as two mono files.

It's slightly easier and more flexible to deal with two mono files in any DAW (like Garageband).

The main reason I suggest an full-on interface is that you do other things with it: for a few dollars more you gain the ability to record without the mixer. You're not expecting to do that yet, but someday you may find it a simple, useful thing.

The Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 allows you to easily tell visually if you end up with too hot a signal into the interface (rings around the volume knobs blink or glow red--something you can often see out the corner of your eye if you aren't dedicating yourself to being a recording engineer).

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 10-01-2017, 11:20 AM
Charter Member

I would tend to agree with Frank.
IMO and what I ultimately found was that while it was cheaper to try to have a combo/ live and home recording system, it was not near as flexible and was more time consuming connecting and reconnecting cables etc.

If it were me I would consider a good entry level interface such as the Focusrite or similar.
I would forget using the Boss and the mixer to record with, there is no real sonic advantage in doing so and probably less.
The converters in the Focusrite/etc. are going to better than the ones in your computer.
The FX plugins are going to sound as good if not better than the FX on the Boss or the mixer, and will have way more features and setting available

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 10-01-2017 at 05:16 PM.
Old 10-01-2017, 05:15 PM

Thanks for the advice, fellas!
Old 10-01-2017, 05:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greypilgrim76 View Post
So here's a follow-up question based on a bit more research:

I like the Focusrite 2i2 option that Frank suggested, but I also discovered that my MG06X is the only mixer in the Yamaha MG line that doesn't have a USB out, and that for $99, I could return mine and get the MG10XU, which does have USB connectivity as well as a number of other tone-shaping features (and 4 more inputs!).

So, here's my new question: all other things being equal, would you recommend sticking with the 6-channel mixer and adding the Focusrite audio interface, or upgrading to the 10-channel mixer with USB? I found a bit online about USB mixers vs. dedicated audio interfaces, but not enough to convince me either way, so any opinions would be appreciated!
The digital output of the Yamaha mixers is only two channels based on the summing of a stereo mix you define with the analog controls on the Yamaha mixer. So, if for example, you have six simultaneous tracks coming into the mixer live you have to mix it down to two channels then and there to use the digital outputs. That, in my opinion, is a fatal limitation. Standard digital recording signal flow requires that each channel is converted separately ending up on your computer as separate tracks. That way, you can mix later, at your leisure, and maintaining the ability to change you mind concerning mixing decisions, using the computer to do so.
Old 10-02-2017, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
The digital output of the Yamaha mixers is only two channels based on the summing of a stereo mix you define with the analog controls on the Yamaha mixer. So, if for example, you have six simultaneous tracks coming into the mixer live you have to mix it down to two channels then and there to use the digital outputs. That, in my opinion, is a fatal limitation. Standard digital recording signal flow requires that each channel is converted separately ending up on your computer as separate tracks. That way, you can mix later, at your leisure, and maintaining the ability to change you mind concerning mixing decisions, using the computer to do so.
That makes sense. But, if I'm the only musician, and I record each of my tracks separately, would the limitation be as fatal? (With the understanding that it becomes more fatal if I ever change that approach/setup?)
Old 10-02-2017, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
I would forget using the Boss and the mixer to record with, there is no real sonic advantage in doing so and probably less.
Yeah, I don't think you need a mixer. But I think you do need an audio interface to reduce the time lag (latency) when recording that second track. I've got the scarlett 2i2, which works fine. I guess garageband is OK, but an extra 80 bucks or so will get you Cubase Elements, a pretty high-powered multitrack home recording studio.
Old 10-02-2017, 08:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCCougar View Post
Yeah, I don't think you need a mixer. But I think you do need an audio interface to reduce the time lag (latency) when recording that second track. I've got the scarlett 2i2, which works fine. I guess garageband is OK, but an extra 80 bucks or so will get you Cubase Elements, a pretty high-powered multitrack home recording studio.
Unclear exactly what you are getting at so let's clarify a few things.

First: In the analog realm (i.e. at for example the headphone output of a mixer) there is no detectable latency

Second : a digital audio interface (all digital audio interfaces) introduce some amount latency . So as a general statement an audio interface brings more latency to the analog signal not less. The actual pertinent question is, how much and how discernable it is going to be? Which involves way more variables than just "having an audio interface"
Also given the OP is just starting GB is fine for getting one's feet wet, looking to the future there are a number of DAWS that would qualify for consideration.
Just sayin'

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 10-02-2017 at 09:22 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD