The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-22-2017, 09:26 AM

Default Nickel Strings

Anybody ever seen how pure nickel strings compare to bronze in terms of tension? I've seen charts for Monel tension, but never any for true nickel strings. I assume they are a little less tension due to lower mass for the same gauges.
Old 10-22-2017, 09:42 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Let's make a list of pure nickels and then research. I know of John Pearse nickels, 960L lights.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-22-2017, 12:22 PM

Everything I've seen indicates they should be lower tension that the bronze (or even Monel) alloys. Pure nickel strings are also considered to be lower tension than nickel alloy electric strings, as well.
Old 10-22-2017, 05:49 PM

Nickel strings are lighter than bronze so yes they exert less tension. You also, however, have to look at the core. Strings wound on a round core exert less tension than those wound on a hex core.

I use Newtone Masterclass Nickel strings.
Old 10-22-2017, 06:59 PM

There are pure nickels strings for acoustics?

I use pure nickel strings almost exclusively on my electrics now. The best ones I've found are the Gibson Vintage Reissue Pure nickel. GVRPN 10's feel at least 1/2 gauge lighter, sound incredible and last a very long time.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 10-22-2017, 07:13 PM

http://daddario.com/DADProductDetail...6-83b73879c703

D'Addario's chart has total tension under the right column for their nickel sets. I never knew the advertised nickel sets were solid nickel. I thought they were simply plated wound strings to reduce the effects of corrosion.
Old 10-22-2017, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
There are pure nickels strings for acoustics?
John Pearse and Newtone make sets they market for acoustic, I'm not sure if anyone else does. But I doubt that there's anything acoustic-specific about them; as long as a string is wrapped in something that entourages the right kind of resonance (pure nickel or Monel), it should work on an acoustic guitar. I've heard reports of people using "electric" pure nickel sets without issue on acoustic guitars, and I recently bought a set of DR Pure Blues to experiment with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitar View Post
http://daddario.com/DADProductDetail...6-83b73879c703

D'Addario's chart has total tension under the right column for their nickel sets. I never knew the advertised nickel sets were solid nickel. I thought they were simply plated wound strings to reduce the effects of corrosion.
The strings in your link are nickel plated. D'Addario does make pure nickel strings, as can be seen here:

http://daddario.com/DADProductFamily...768&familyid=4

Interesting enough, their charts seem to indicate that the pure nickel sets have slightly more tension than the plated sets, which I wasn't expecting. I'd always heard pure nickel has less tension, but maybe that's because many pure nickel strings use round cores, which do lead to lower tension.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion