The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-21-2017, 12:32 AM

Default D-45

So, I've been going to guitar center for the past few weeks checking out a Hummingbird that I like. Today I decided to play a bunch of guitars - compared the bird to the Martin D-16, played a D-28 with the VTS, an HD-28, a regular D-28 (I think). I own a D-28 Marquis that I love. It has an Adirondack top (which is supposed to be the best tone wood), and I just thought anything more expensive is just bling. Well, I picked up the D-45 just before I walked out - it blew every other guitar away! It was an amazingly well balanced, and easy to play guitar. The sound was perfect. My only complaint is the width at the nut - a little narrow for my tastes. My suspicion was that Martin does indeed grade the woods and the D-45's are getting the best woods - I don't know how else to explain why this guitar sounded so good. I'd love it if the D-41's are made of the same materials - I don't need the bling, and I don't need to spend all that cash $$$$!
Old 10-21-2017, 08:42 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rindcorp View Post
So, I've been going to guitar center for the past few weeks checking out a Hummingbird that I like. Today I decided to play a bunch of guitars - compared the bird to the Martin D-16, played a D-28 with the VTS, an HD-28, a regular D-28 (I think). I own a D-28 Marquis that I love. It has an Adirondack top (which is supposed to be the best tone wood), and I just thought anything more expensive is just bling. Well, I picked up the D-45 just before I walked out - it blew every other guitar away! It was an amazingly well balanced, and easy to play guitar. The sound was perfect. My only complaint is the width at the nut - a little narrow for my tastes. My suspicion was that Martin does indeed grade the woods and the D-45's are getting the best woods - I don't know how else to explain why this guitar sounded so good. I'd love it if the D-41's are made of the same materials - I don't need the bling, and I don't need to spend all that cash $$$$!
Well, I guess it BETTER be for that amount of coin.

Never played one -- and don't plan on it.

scott memmer
Old 10-22-2017, 01:03 AM

For me, I found the D-42 to be the best compromise but it still doesn't satisfy the D-45 itch even if the 42 is, typically, a better sounding guitar to my ear.
Baby Taylor (spruce)
La Patrie Concert (cedar/mahogany)
Assorted Strats and Teles
Old 10-22-2017, 11:26 AM

I purchased my current D-45 (1985) seven months ago. The bridge has been cut down very slightly and for what I want from an acoustic guitar, the action is a bit high. I've concluded that this instrument was strictly a wall-hanging decoration.

At some point in the near future, I'll send it to Bryan Kimsey. It is a loud guitar, a bit unsophisticated tone and stiff. I'm confident that Bryan can make it ring. My previous (1984) D-45 now resides with (dadsbones) Max and that was the best Martin I ever owned. It was part of a very limited run for Japan with an ugly top. Really hideous. But what a sound!

The 2015 AJ Luthier's Choice (photo right) pretty much smokes all of my other acoustics, including the five not-cheap Martins upstairs...

Old 10-22-2017, 11:31 AM

I like bling but a D-45 is over the top for me.
Over the years, I have played several D-41, D-42 and D-45 Martins.
My observations is that it is the individual guitar and not the model that determines it's sound.

In the end there is a reason that Martin offers so many different models.
We all have differing taste in tone and looks when it comes to guitars.

Thank you Mr. Martin for making my guitar.
Old 10-22-2017, 12:59 PM

I tried a D41 a couple years ago, and had to have it. It is my best sounding guitar.
Old 10-22-2017, 01:52 PM
AGF Sponsor

Beautiful AJ pictured up there.

sm
Old 10-22-2017, 05:52 PM

There is a reason the D-45 costs more than the 41. The more extensive inlay work that is very visually becoming on the guitar is costly and imho, also adds to the tone. The wood used is of Martin's highest quality, it may not affect tone, but it is gorgeous. Martin's best craftsmen (woman) construct these fine instruments. Back in the day, CS&N chose the D-45 as the groups favorite guitar and the recordings they made stand as testimony to that decision. Is the D-45 worth the premium over the D-41, only you can make that judgement. But if money were no object, I would take the D-45 every time over the D-41. You would be hard pressed to find a D-45 owner who looking back, wished he had instead gone with the D-41. The D-41 is a very fine guitar, but with the D-45 there is no looking back, that is my personal experience.
Old 10-22-2017, 06:46 PM

Again, the D-42 splits the difference and gives you the forward shifted bracing and wood that's every bit as nice as the D-45. If you need the block inlays on the fretboard, this doesn't have that and you don't get all that extra abalone goodness on the back or neck heel.
Baby Taylor (spruce)
Old 10-26-2017, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG View Post
Again, the D-42 splits the difference and gives you the forward shifted bracing and wood that's every bit as nice as the D-45. If you need the block inlays on the fretboard, this doesn't have that and you don't get all that extra abalone goodness on the back or neck heel.
Well, technically, the wood on the 45's are of a higher grade than the other 4x guitars. 45's get grade 8, the others get 6-7 I believe.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rindcorp View Post
Well, technically, the wood on the 45's are of a higher grade than the other 4x guitars. 45's get grade 8, the others get 6-7 I believe.
Perhaps but I've never seen a better grade on a D-45 than what I saw on a few D-42's, including mine.
Baby Taylor (spruce)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion