The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: Strings for an Eastman E6OM
D'Addario EJ16 6 20.00%
D'Addario EXP16 4 13.33%
DR Sunbeam 12-54 4 13.33%
Martin Retro Monel 7 23.33%
Other 10 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-22-2017, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax238 View Post
I'm probably not going to be feeling THAT generous any time soon (I'll just buy 6-7 packs of the Retro Monels instead).
Ask for a set for Christmas...they are easier to play as well.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 10-23-2017, 12:03 AM

I haven't gotten around to as much string testing on mine as I had hoped. So far just D'Addario EJ16, Elixir PB lights, and John Pearse 600L. I really like the JP 600L strings on my Eastmans because these guitars are very loud and in-your-face already. I find JP 600Ls to be extremely balanced and soft. They tame the wild horse that is an Eastman guitar!
Old 10-23-2017, 12:22 AM

Any strings can created sound
Old 10-23-2017, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngockhanh1988 View Post
Any strings can created sound
...and now we return to our regularly scheduled program.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 10-23-2017, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
...and now we return to our regularly scheduled program.
Indeed.

ngockhanh1988... Thanks for playing our game. We have wonderful parting gifts for you.
Old 10-23-2017, 03:46 PM

It's simple... D'Addarios are simply middle-of-the-road strings. They won't make any guitar sound bad. And maybe that's what you want. I've tried several sets (and have EJ-19's on my Epi right now) and feel, with the exception of their Nickel Bronze strings, kind of "meh". Monels? I tried them on one of my Yairis and they just weren't for me (at least on this guitar).

My vote was for the Sunbeams. You may not like them, but then again on some guitars they sound incredible. My '72 Martin D35 has the Sunbeam 12's and can say that the sound they provide on this guitar is head and shoulders better than any other strings I've tried, including D'Addario, Martin, Rotosound, Elixir, and one or two other brands/models/gauges that I've tried on this guitar.

The second strings I'd recommend trying are the Straight Up Strings medium tension strings. My Taylors love these strings, but no so good on that same Epi had has the EJ-19's right now.

It's all hit-or-miss, but when you "hit" it can be a OMG experience.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 10-23-2017, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
It's simple... D'Addarios are simply middle-of-the-road strings. They won't make any guitar sound bad. And maybe that's what you want. I've tried several sets (and have EJ-19's on my Epi right now) and feel, with the exception of their Nickel Bronze strings, kind of "meh". Monels? I tried them on one of my Yairis and they just weren't for me (at least on this guitar).

My vote was for the Sunbeams. You may not like them, but then again on some guitars they sound incredible. My '72 Martin D35 has the Sunbeam 12's and can say that the sound they provide on this guitar is head and shoulders better than any other strings I've tried, including D'Addario, Martin, Rotosound, Elixir, and one or two other brands/models/gauges that I've tried on this guitar.

The second strings I'd recommend trying are the Straight Up Strings medium tension strings. My Taylors love these strings, but no so good on that same Epi had has the EJ-19's right now.

It's all hit-or-miss, but when you "hit" it can be a OMG experience.
I hear what you're saying about the D'Addario EJ16s. They sound OK on pretty much any guitar I've tried them on, but no WOW factor for me.

I really liked the Sunbeam 12-54s on my Breedlove OM, but was concerned that they might be a little floppy with the shorter scale of the Eastman (24.9 vs 25.5 for the Breedlove).

As far as Straight Up Strings go, I had a set of mediums on my Halcyon OM for a couple of months (they certainly seemed to last), but they were "overtone monsters" (made a walnut Halcyon sound like rosewood on steroids), and that's not the tone I'm looking for. Too bad, because I ordered 3 sets.

I'm thinking of trying Sunbeams on my Halcyon. I like how easy they are on my fingers/hands, and they sounded really nice on the rosewood Breedlove.

I think I'll stick with the Retro Monels on the Eastman.

Last edited by Long Road Home; 10-24-2017 at 05:07 PM.
Old 10-24-2017, 04:12 PM

Barry, if the Monels don't float your boat, try some GHS Vintage Bronze or DR Rares. Both are warm. I find my E6 doesn't play well with bright strings...at least to my ears.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 10-24-2017, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Barry, if the Monels don't float your boat, try some GHS Vintage Bronze or DR Rares. Both are warm. I find my E6 doesn't play well with bright strings...at least to my ears.
Oh, my boat is afloat, Jamie! The Monels are staying on.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion