The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-19-2017, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
That is truly remarkable, Steve. Thank you for sharing these photos.

Agreed, Steve! Wow. Really glad you shared that. Something for me to strive for.

And glad all ended well, OP.

Sam
Old 10-20-2017, 06:11 PM

But if the client notices it, he or she will likely not be happy at it especially if it is a very expensive custom order and part of the selling point of the luthier is high levels of fit and finish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
Nice story Chris

I agree with you but... What if I got into drilling the holes for the dot inlays and backed up a second and dope slapped myself because I was off center by 2mm. So then I filled it in and redrilled it perfectly and no one ever knew the difference?

You might be surprised how often things like that happens. I don't disclose to clients that I chipped out the rosewood binding and inlayed a piece in to fix it, for example. This kind of thing happens all the time.

In the case of the OP's guitar it can be fixed flawlessly, and in fact this kind of thing happens all the time without anyone knowing. Alohachris's example was quite extreme and that would never be fixable.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:35 PM

Even in Ebony errors like that will show. The luthier screwed up and should replace the fret board. When he accepted the deposit he essentially signed a contract to deliver an instrument with a specific dot pattern on the fret board. He should accept his error and replace the fret board. If it is glued on with hot hide glue than it should be an easy replacement.
Old 10-23-2017, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
Sorry to not be specific. I specified what I wanted exactly in print in an email: 1 dot at 5, 2 at 7, 1 at 9, 2 at 12 and 1 at 15. This is the traditional Martin pattern. I sent him the dots. He put 2 at 5, 1 at 7, 1 at 9, 2 at 12 and 1 at 15.

I have played guitar for 60 years and depending on this configuration has become second nature. Ive tried other shapes in other places and it just confuses me. I don't think plugging is acceptable because it cant be invisible due to the impossibility of grain and color matching.
I think you would be surprised what a good luthier can do
Sometimes building is about fixing mistakes in the early years of craft development.Most builders that sell there instruments SHOULD be able fix that without notice. This is all my opinion of course

Good luck with your battle!
Old 10-23-2017, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codfather View Post
I think you would be surprised what a good luthier can do
Sometimes building is about fixing mistakes in the early years of craft development.
I completely cracked a fingerboard in half at the fretboard extension by not supporting it properly (or so I now know). Invisible repair. I can't see it, and I know where to look. Not because I'm good, but because ebony is incredibly forgiving!

Someone mentioned contracts. We all know someone's obligated to do what they contracted to do, but often times there's also a duty to let a seller cure. It depends on the details.

Contracts aside, I'd at least give the luthier a chance out of good faith. These are high-end transactions and the buyer should be completely satisfied, but we're also a good-faith culture.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:03 AM
Charter Member

This has been a nice thread, one worth reading all the way through, which I juast did! I'm glad the builder ultimately did the right thing. A lot of what goes into a custom build is the relationship between the two of you. Without getting too nutty here - but you all know what I'm saying - any other decision on the builder's part would have done something to guitar's soul, and killed it for me more than the aesthetics. It would never be quite the same accepting something I'll hopefully get over in time. Enjoy your guitar!....Robert
Flammang SEL
SCGC 00-12 EIR/Sitka
SCGC OM Mahogany/Moon
Old 10-24-2017, 10:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirwa View Post
That is the weirdest looking guitar I have ever seen.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:38 PM

Yes string theory goes out the door on that one.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop