The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-19-2017, 07:12 AM

Default Head Injury Increases Risk for MS

Yet another reason to linger over decisions about the sports we let our youngsters get into.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/18/w...e-iphone-share

A large-scale new study found that concussions in adolescents can increase the risk of later developing multiple sclerosis.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:26 AM

There seems to be a cavalier attitude towards sports that inflict a great deal of damage to young (and older) brain tissue. The long-term damage seems to outweigh the gratification derived from participating in what can be brutal sports such as football,hockey and,of course MMA.Studies have shown how debilitating head shots can be and there are some sad examples of later life problems as have been illustrated in the media such as Mike Webster and other famous athletes.I know that highschool and college football are quasi religions in America but the toll on young athletes cannot be justified in the long run.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:32 AM

When I was leg tackled at a full run, falling and driving the football into my solar plexus, gasping for breath and thinking I would die; I knew that playing drums behind those majorettes was better than football.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic