The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 10-11-2017, 05:10 PM

Default Gallagher finish Issues and repair

My friend's 90s Gallagher Doc Watson has a finish which is lifted and cloudy in a number of areas on the back, sides, and neck. A call to Gallagher revealed that guitar is finished in poly which was bad. Gallagher offered options (to the original owner) of 1. superglue repair of damaged area for free (admitted it was not perfect), 2. strip finish and french polish ($400). Best tonal option. and 3. strip and refinish in nitro ($600). Best looking option. I don't know what they might do for a non original owner.

My friend is thinking nitro, because he really likes this guitar.

I have a newer Gallagher (I'm not original owner) which had several areas of localized finish lifting (primarily around volute area). The body finish is perfect. Since I do finish repair, I went ahead and stripped the damaged areas and refinished with superglue. Looks pretty good.

So that's the deal, Gallagher owners

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair