The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 10-05-2017, 03:47 PM

Default is this bridge and saddle too high?

just got this '46 or '47 Gibson J45 (hog top)

Love the patina. But I am concerned that the bridge and saddle are REALLY high! Higher than any I have ever seen. Should I be concerned?

Old 10-05-2017, 04:05 PM
Charter Member

The witness lines around the perimeter make it look like a replacement bridge. Especially from the rear side. Not a very clean glue joint. The 1/2" space from the soundboard to the bottom of the bass string is in the optimal range. The saddle does look tall. The break angle looks ok. Is the saddle slot deeper than the portion that is above saddle? Seems to be vertical, but lots of rotational force is being applied. Where does a straight edge off the fingerboard fall on the saddle?

Old 10-05-2017, 04:06 PM

To my eyes, the saddle looks tall for that style bridge and considering the bridge pin holes are so close to the saddle. The bridge height looks fine.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 10-05-2017, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradHall View Post
The witness lines around the perimeter make it look like a replacement bridge. Especially from the rear side. Not a very clean glue joint. The 1/2" space from the soundboard to the bottom of the bass string is in the optimal range. The saddle does look tall. The break angle looks ok. Is the saddle slot deeper than the portion that is above saddle? Seems to be vertical, but lots of rotational force is being applied. Where does a straight edge off the fingerboard fall on the saddle?
when I run an 18" straight edge along the fingerboard it lands about 1/8" ABOVE the bridge. Isnt it ideal to have it level with the bridge?
Old 10-05-2017, 04:47 PM

That much saddle height would make me a little nervous, especially if the string height at the 12th fret is low. I like to slightly overset necks, but a straight edge 1/8th inch above the bridge is pushing the limit pretty hard!
Old 10-06-2017, 05:25 AM

Looks ok to me. A little high, but I don't think it will cause any problems. Is the action high or low with this saddle?
Old 10-06-2017, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekutree64 View Post
Looks ok to me. A little high, but I don't think it will cause any problems. Is the action high or low with this saddle?
action is fine
Old 10-06-2017, 01:25 PM

Yes, the saddle is too high relative to the top of the bridge. Someone replaced the original bridge with a new one that likely is lower in height, though the same general shape, as the original. Playability is likely fine, but the very steep angle from saddle to pins is not good. It may not cause you any problems at all if you're lucky, but there are loads of guitars with lifted bridges, belly humps, split bridgeplates, and other problems caused by the rotational forces this arrangement creates. It can actually sound quite good, tonally (bright, loud) but could cause future difficulty. Sorry. Hope I'm wrong.
Old 10-06-2017, 03:17 PM

Strings 1/2" above the top as shown is right about perfect in my book. Thats where I shoot things to come out with the action about right...

It may be that the bridge just looks a bit short....

If it plays good - then leave it be for now....
Old 10-08-2017, 08:54 PM

action is between 2 and 3/32 at the 12th fret.
Old 10-08-2017, 09:09 PM

also the braces look too new to my eye. Seems that on a '46 they would be much dingier/weathered. These look like fresh spruce!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair