The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-23-2017, 04:04 AM
Charter Member

Given the choice, I'd rather CITES be pro-active rather than reactive, so I'm fine with things as they sit. And if that means some manufacturers opt to use a different wood on their low end guitars (or even their entire line), I'm okay with that. The needs of the planet come before the wants of us guitar players or anyone else.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 10-23-2017, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lampson View Post
What I don't understand is why Taylor doesn't just dye their ebony, like most of the other quality manufacturers did / do? I think "striped" ebony is far less attractive on most guitar models... I do like it on "natural" maple builds, but as rule, ebony always seems an upgrade.... Maybe I'm just an "black ebony snob"?

Don

Normally I’d agree. But I think they look fantastic on the newer Taylor models as long as it’s not too stripped. I’ve seen a few that there was more blond than black but I think most are a good combination of just a hint of blond. It gives the already natural look of the Taylor an additional earthy feel.
Old 10-23-2017, 06:09 AM

I thought Fender was going with Pau Ferro as the replacement for rosewood? Seems counter-productive to go with ebony.
Old 10-23-2017, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
Interesting: the law of unintended consequences.

East Indian rosewood is sustainably plantation grown. All rosewood was added to CITIES to protect the endangered varieties of it. Makers are then substituting ebony, overharvested and not sustainably harvested or grown. Substituting a sustainably plantation grown wood for one that is in short supply and over-harvested. Somehow, I don't think that's what CITIES is all about.
Agreed, 100%.

FWIW, there are good substitutes for both. I have instruments that use Ipe (Lapacho) and it is much harder than ebony, believe it or not. Also one of Macassar and a few banjos with dyed pear. And one that someone else now owns with Bloodwood that was a real pleasure to have.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion