The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-13-2008, 02:07 PM

Default Has anyone owned or played a Stonebridge 22CM model?

Thanks for your input.
Old 07-13-2008, 05:22 PM

Yes, one just like this-

http://www.guitarjunction.com/shop/v....html?prod=814.

I played one (-though not from this retailer) whilst a friend was trying Larrivees. Found it hard to put down. Lovely workmanship, balanced and articulate fingerstyle sound, and a fair strummer too. Felt quite small, I think because the body was quite shallow. Neck width at nut was just right for me at 1 3/4" and the fretting was well done - felt good to play anywhere on the neck. Fast attacking, sustaining sound from all strings. Cedar/mahogany is one of my favourite combinations. Sounded different from both my Lowden
S10 and Fylde Ariel - also small bodied cedar/mahogany guitars. Slightly more incisive sound, less rich, but still very appealing to my ears. Also considerably less expensive than my other guitars.

Eventually I did buy it direct from the retailer, over the telephone (with an option to return it if I was unhappy about anything) several months later after negotiating a considerable discount - it was still unsold, and had collected one or two extremely minor dings on the sides. It came reasonably well set up, but I did add a little neck relief (it was almost flat), file a couple of the nut slots to reduce string height at first fret and lower the saddle about 1mm. Plays beautifully with very little effort. Best value for money guitar I've ever found, and just ideal for the person on whose behalf I bought it, who was wanting to try some fingerstyle in addition to their dread-strumming.

Came with a decent and very well fitting case, and a bag of goodies - truss rod allen key, spare bridge pins, material for shimming saddle and even several small lengths of fret wire.

Hope this is helpful, though don't take my word for it - see if you can get to play one.
Bye now
Keith
Old 07-13-2008, 11:56 PM

Thanks again. They have them w/ebony fingerboards now and I'm considering buying one.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:47 AM
Charter Member

Well, I played a SS22CM-C

That guitar was great. wonderful for fingerstyle; it was a bit wide in the lower bout, though. I recall the harmonics being very, strong and clear. That particular guitar is an excellent value.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion