The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-30-2010, 01:19 PM

Default A Baritone Nylon String Crosssover

Just thought I'd share my latest blog entry here. I hope that's alright.

I've recently completed Ron's Cuban Mahogany and Engelmann Spruce Baritone Nylon String Crossover. This instrument's longer scale length (string length) of 27"and heavier baritone-weighted nylon strings allow it to be tuned down to a fourth or a fifth below standard pitch, so that the outer strings are tuned to B, Bb, or A. It features an Engelmann spruce top, Cuban mahogany back and sides, koa rosette and headstock overlay, and cocobolo fingerboard, bridge, binding, and armrest bevel, as well as the cutaway, Ryan-style armrest bevel, Manzer wedge, and side soundport design elements. A fun instrument to build and play!

Gallery 1 - During Build - http://mustapickguitars.com/76mckown/1/
Gallery 2 - Ready for Finish - http://mustapickguitars.com/76mckown/2/
Gallery 3 - Completed Instrument - http://mustapickguitars.com/76mckown/3/
Old 12-30-2010, 01:37 PM

That sure is an innovative crossover design, Matt ..Nontraditional in almost every way ..another cool concept to your credit ...and if you hinged the top ..one could play tic-tac-toe on your bracing pattern ...I'm sure it plays/sounds great ...
Old 12-30-2010, 03:12 PM

Very cool... I like the bridge design. What kind of taper do you use for your wedge bodies?
Old 12-30-2010, 03:21 PM

That is very nice. Will you be offering it for sale or as a BTO? If it is available to purchase or order, please PM me. Thanks.
Old 12-30-2010, 03:44 PM

I'm a big fan of acoustic baritone guitars, and am lucky to own two steel string examples: a McAlister and a Beneteau. I've never had a chance to play a nylon string version, though. Would love to try one of yours.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 12-31-2010, 12:08 PM
Charter Member

Very cool, Matt. I really dig the look of it. Hope the new owner enjoys it!

Kindly,
Danny
Old 12-31-2010, 12:14 PM
Charter Member

That's a sweet looking bari, Matt.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabby Chic View Post
Very cool... I like the bridge design. What kind of taper do you use for your wedge bodies?
I just do a fairly slight taper, about 5/8" difference from one side to the other.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
I'm a big fan of acoustic baritone guitars, and am lucky to own two steel string examples: a McAlister and a Beneteau. I've never had a chance to play a nylon string version, though. Would love to try one of yours.

Wade Hampton Miller
Thanks Wade, I hope that'll happen some day.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilburman View Post
That is very nice. Will you be offering it for sale or as a BTO? If it is available to purchase or order, please PM me. Thanks.
Hi Wilburman. Thanks for asking. It was a custom order and it's delivered now. I'd love to make another one though... pm sent.
Old 01-01-2011, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollie View Post
That sure is an innovative crossover design, Matt ..Nontraditional in almost every way ..another cool concept to your credit ...and if you hinged the top ..one could play tic-tac-toe on your bracing pattern ...I'm sure it plays/sounds great ...
I think the most unusual aspect of it is the overall shape of the body. The waist and soundhole are nearly an inch higher (toward the neck joint) than what you see on any other guitar. My idea here is to keep the waist and soundhole in the same geometric arrangement as you would find on a classical guitar, relative to the fingerboard, bridge, and strings. Since it's a fourteen fret guitar, this means the the upper bout is very small. You can see that the top of the soundhole lines up with the 19th fret and the 20th fret overhangs. On most 14-fret guitars you see the top of the soundhole at about the 21.5 fret area.
Old 01-01-2011, 12:25 PM

Matt, Beautiful guitar and workmanship! I also like how you finish your guitars....they look like they have just the needed amount of finish on them and nothing more.

The amount of finish can change the tone of the guitar...no?
Old 01-01-2011, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesa View Post
Matt, Beautiful guitar and workmanship! I also like how you finish your guitars....they look like they have just the needed amount of finish on them and nothing more.

The amount of finish can change the tone of the guitar...no?
Thanks for the compliments. Addam Stark does the finish work on my guitars and he does extremely fine work. Yes, it is important to keep a finish thin. As you say, a thick finish can squelch the tone of an instrument.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop