The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 11-17-2010, 05:38 PM
Charter Member

Default Seeking crossover ideas and classical information

I just sold a NS42ce because I wanted a more of what I liked about this particular, but also I'd like more projection acoustically. Playability was great on my NS42ce. For a replacement, I have pretty much set my upper limit at a used NS72 or 52ce or a new Cervantez Crossover Cedar/PE. The lower limit is possibly trhe Cordoba I have mentioned and are in the link below.

http://www.cordobaguitars.com/12or14rs

It seems the Fusion series were designe by Kenny Hill.

Being guitar poor and mostly a steel string player, I have run across Cordoba Orchestra and Fusion. They have a 1 7/8" nut and radiused fretboard. The sub $1,000, and even sub $700, appeals to my frugality and looming bills.

Question of Non-Taylor hybrid experience and long time classic owners:

Does neck relief change over time as tension pulls on the neck?

Can you any experience with Cordoba other hybrid makes that fall around the $1k range?

Thanks

Last edited by Turp; 11-17-2010 at 06:34 PM.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:40 PM

this cordoba should compare more closely to the taylor's since it has solid wood for the back and sides:
http://www.cordobaguitars.com/orchestrapro
I think the street price is just over $1k.
Old 11-18-2010, 05:47 AM
AGF Sponsor

Turp
Not to muck up the post with talk of vintage but you might consider the prospects of a vintage "crossover" in your search. Many don't realize how close in design mid-century steel vs. nylon acoustics really were. In some cases, the only difference was the absence of a bridgeplate on the classical. Everything else was the same.

Here's an example of a mid-century Kay that is now steel string ready. Built like a tank, this 00-size flat top has a nice full tone on the bottom half with the neck profile and nut characteristics on the top half, aimed to satisfy the classical player seeking a steel string feel and sound. This model is spruce/mahogany with others available in a larger body size such as 000-.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageparlors View Post
Turp
Not to muck up the post with talk of vintage but you might consider the prospects of a vintage "crossover" in your search. Many don't realize how close in design mid-century steel vs. nylon acoustics really were. In some cases, the only difference was the absence of a bridgeplate on the classical. Everything else was the same.

Here's an example of a mid-century Kay that is now steel string ready. Built like a tank, this 00-size flat top has a nice full tone on the bottom half with the neck profile and nut characteristics on the top half, aimed to satisfy the classical player seeking a steel string feel and sound. This model is spruce/mahogany with others available in a larger body size such as 000-.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have played a very good early nylon string reproduction. I liked it and would like to someday build them. For an immediate solution, I'll definately check it out.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical