The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Closed Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 07:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly66 View Post
So the replacement has shipped with FEDEX 2-Day Express this time. Last time it was UPS. Supposedly it was double boxed.

I asked the guy who demoed his on YouTube about the high-pitched noise I heard and the noisy inputs to see if he had any of those issues.

Quote:
So the replacement has shipped with FEDEX 2-Day Express this time. Last time it was UPS. Supposedly it was double boxed.

I asked the guy who demoed his on YouTube about the high-pitched noise I heard and the noisy inputs to see if he had any of those issues.
Much thanks for the update & video postings. I'm a little less psyched about the Pro than initially for a couple of reasons, but still very interested in reviews and field reports. Though it's good to know the Cloudlifter is an option if need be. I guess if I were performing solo it also wouldn't be an issue if I'm piping guitar and vocal through my VE-8?
Old 09-25-2017, 09:57 PM

How much is the replacement battery on the JBL

In Europe, the Maui go 5 goes at €799 list
and the battery is €278!!
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 09-25-2017, 11:21 PM

If you read the datasheet of the Bose L1 compact

You'll find they provide +50dB gain on the mic input and +40dB gain on the guitar input...

Link to Bose L1 compact datasheet

When you think Mackie Reach provides +30dB gain on mic and 0dB gain on Hi-Z...

Why can't the competition read what Bose does when making a clone or an alternative product?

From the Toonz Bose L1 wiki:
Link to L1C power test on battery

A Bose L1 only use 60W (around 6A on 12V battery) at max output.

My conclusion so far, is that we'd better use a second-hand Bose L1C with an inverter or wait for the next Bose. Bose forum has launched a thread a year ago about what people wants extra on the L1C.

EDITED: I am probably wrong. Many people have reported noise/hiss from the Bose L1C probably because of too sensitive mic input connected to nothing. So the only real solution is gain pots.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Last edited by Cuki79; 09-26-2017 at 03:45 AM.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nama Ensou View Post
Cloudlifter looks like a really nice way of getting past the low lack of gain problem with the Eon One's, that won't require external power. Another is the Mic Mechanic, which can run on a battery, has mic gain, and also gives a totally compact reverb/delay too.
A number of signal boosting products will work (such as a small mixer) a pedal board preamp, a Guitar strap mounted preamp (Like a K&) or an external mixer.

It simply seems a shame that you can't plug straight in and get the input gain you want without maxing it out (making an external line driving device necessary) Too bad.

Now, it may have enough gain inherently for some. So form your own conclusions. My Duo partner might be ordering an EON One Pro tomorrow. We use Bose L1 Compacts (One or a pair) So we will be able to compare for ourselves.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 09-26-2017, 12:59 AM

I don't think a guitar plugged into the Hi-Z needs a boost, only microphones. I found an even more compact solution, Triton Audio FetHead. Not sure how it compares to the Cloudlifter, but it plugs right into the mic.

It does suck that you would need to use anything to amp the signal when the mixer should be enough. It is enough for certain situations, but not all.
Old 09-26-2017, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
I guess if I were performing solo it also wouldn't be an issue if I'm piping guitar and vocal through my VE-8?
That's what I use through my Maui 5 and it adds much needed volume. Via theMaui's XLR inputs.
Old 09-26-2017, 05:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I don't think a guitar plugged into the Hi-Z needs a boost, only microphones. I found an even more compact solution, Triton Audio FetHead. Not sure how it compares to the Cloudlifter, but it plugs right into the mic.

It does suck that you would need to use anything to amp the signal when the mixer should be enough. It is enough for certain situations, but not all.
Well that looks like a handy solution.

I know there has been some technical discussion of why JBL designed the signal chain that way, but in the final analysis--lame.
Old 09-26-2017, 06:08 AM

Default Exciting New PA Option: JBL EON ONE Pro

Quote:
Well that looks like a handy solution.

I know there has been some technical discussion of why JBL designed the signal chain that way, but in the final analysis--lame.

I agree. That Fethead is a nifty small device. And it would serve as an impedance matching instrument DI and preamp with an XLR/TS adaptor. It seems like something we should all have in the toolbox. That said, the JBL mic gain is already 30 dB. Adding another 27 dB might be problematic. Not sure this is the case, but it seems like that would be too much gain for a mic like the e935. I can envision the limiters kicking in too early.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:47 AM

Quote:
I guess if I were performing solo it also wouldn't be an issue if I'm piping guitar and vocal through my VE-8?
The VE-8 takes care of the issue perfectly.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 09-26-2017, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
A number of signal boosting products will work (such as a small mixer) a pedal board preamp, a Guitar strap mounted preamp (Like a K&) or an external mixer.

It simply seems a shame that you can't plug straight in and get the input gain you want without maxing it out (making an external line driving device necessary) Too bad.
Absolutely. So far I've used the VE-8, external mixer and Digitech Vocalist, all of which gave me plenty of gain to spare.

JBL came out with a great product, minus one glaring omission when they blew it on the gain structure, which could have been perfectly addressed with the addition of a simple gain control on each channel.
Old 09-26-2017, 10:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
JBL came out with a great product, minus one glaring omission when they blew it on the gain structure, which could have been perfectly addressed with the addition of a simple gain control on each channel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
Agreed!

Not that I am in any way defending the omission but with any speaker, sound system, amp etc. even if they do have everything I need built in, I much prefer to have the controls sitting right next to me.

Once I've started playing, I find it awkward and distracting to have to leave my "performance position" to move some distance (any distance not within reach) to make adjustments.

I do all sorts of screwing around during my "solo-act sound check" including dragging my guitar and mic out as far as the cables will allow and checking the mix, EQ etc. from "out there." But once I start I want to be able to quickly and discreetly make my adjustments from right where I am standing and get back to the show.

My point is that I would almost always use something external anyway but it would be nice if it wasn't pretty much required.

Matt
Old 09-26-2017, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by open-road-matt View Post
...I would almost always use something external anyway but it would be nice if it wasn't pretty much required.
I think most would prefer to have the controls at their fingertips during performance, but at the same time not have to bother with the extra pieces of equipment and cabling. My approach has been to semi-permanently wire the Digitech Vocalist to the side of my Eon One so that I only have one power cable to worry about for both units and one mic cable to hook up.

Don't know if you already posted, but which mixer are you using right now?
Old 09-26-2017, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by open-road-matt View Post
Agreed!

Not that I am in any way defending the omission but with any speaker, sound system, amp etc. even if they do have everything I need built in, I much prefer to have the controls sitting right next to me.

Once I've started playing, I find it awkward and distracting to have to leave my "performance position" to move some distance (any distance not within reach) to make adjustments.

I do all sorts of screwing around during my "solo-act sound check" including dragging my guitar and mic out as far as the cables will allow and checking the mix, EQ etc. from "out there." But once I start I want to be able to quickly and discreetly make my adjustments from right where I am standing and get back to the show.

My point is that I would almost always use something external anyway but it would be nice if it wasn't pretty much required.

Matt
Then what you need to try Matt is the HK nano 608i they are cheaper now in Europe. Either a new version is coming either they realized it was overpriced.

Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Old 09-26-2017, 04:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I think most would prefer to have the controls at their fingertips during performance, but at the same time not have to bother with the extra pieces of equipment and cabling. My approach has been to semi-permanently wire the Digitech Vocalist to the side of my Eon One so that I only have one power cable to worry about for both units and one mic cable to hook up.

Don't know if you already posted, but which mixer are you using right now?
I suppose it's a trade off between having the control close by and hauling/hooking up one more thing. Always trade offs!

I am back in the land of Bose so I'm using a T1 that sits on a little table right next to me.

After 11 plus years of using Bose L1 systems, I sold them all a couple of years ago and bought a mess of QSC speakers and a TouchMix 8. I used that stuff for a year, sold all of that and bought two of the original Eon Ones. I continued to use the TouchMix 8 with the Eon Ones. After quite a bit of back and forth I went back to the Bose and bought an L1 Model 2 with a B2 and the T1 mixer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
Then what you need to try Matt is the HK nano 608i they are cheaper now in Europe. Either a new version is coming either they realized it was overpriced.

The Nano looks cool!

I shouldn't say this out loud but I think I'm done fooling with gear. I spent a ton of time, energy and money trying to find something that works better (for me and what I do) than the Bose L1 system and I couldn't so I'm taking that as a sign! (for now!)

Matt
Old 09-26-2017, 06:51 PM

That HK Nano is sweet!!

Last edited by dragonfly66; 09-27-2017 at 06:45 PM.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification