The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-25-2017, 08:28 AM

Default Zoom G3n for Acoustic Only? They're Currently On Sale...

Hey guys,

I'm an at home acoustic only player and I have an acoustic 000 with a K&K Pure Mini pup going straight into a Fishman Loudbox Mini. I am finding the tone of the amp a bit lacking (for me) and am looking for something to tweak the sound and add some more/better effects.

It looks like the G3n is aimed at electric players but I was wondering if acoustic only players use it successfully as well? Seems like except for the amp modeling there are lots of other things I could use like EQ, lots of effects, and a looper. It also looks like a really good value.

Sweetwater currently has them on sale for $125 shipped. I've looked at lots of other products but they seem to be either too lacking, too specialized, too complicated (like I've read the Zoom A3 is - don't know about the G3n) or just way too expensive. Thoughts?

I'm behind the times as far as these types of devices go so any other suggestions would also be appreciated.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:52 AM

I've used a Zoom G3, previous version of the device you are looking at. It permits six different effects which I've used with both a Taylor and Ovation. The reverb and chorus effects were nice to play around with. The EQ was OK. You can stack the Graphic EQ and Parametric EQ together. You are right in staying away from the Amp Modeling with the acoustic. I used it for a couple of years before finally moving to my current setup with the VoiceLive 3. I had actually considered picking up a Fishman Aura to put in front of the G3, but by the time I had looked at all my options I finally wen the route that I did. BUT back to your question, I personally didn't have any major issues using the G3 with either of my acoustics.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:19 AM

I use the earlier version, the G3, with my acoustic. Its in line before my TC play acoustic.

I think these zoom G series units are kind of like a swiss army knife in a way.
They don't do any one thing absolutely stellar, but they do a whole lot of things pretty well and are a very good bang for the buck.

I like my G3 and use its compressor, graphic eq, parametric eq, tremolo, delay, etc... all on acoustic guitar.

Its a great piece. I'm sure the newer model is something you would likely find useful. I found that just because its targeted at the electric player, didn't mean that there wasn't a whole lot of functionality and cross over in terms of the usefulness of the effects for acoustic guitar applications.

It takes a little time getting used to the interface, but once you get it, its no problem. Nowhere in the same universe as the perplexing and non-user friendly unwieldiness of the smaller zoom A3 unit that I experienced.

Give it a shot. I think you'll find uses for it you weren't even originally thinking of... I did. just my 2 cents...
Old 09-25-2017, 11:13 AM

Thanks for the replies and insight so far guys! Much appreciated!

Sounds like it will likely work OK for me but I would still appreciate some more replies, especially any with recommendations for other products that might suit me better.
Old 09-25-2017, 05:12 PM

Well I talked to a salesman at Sweetwater today and he said that the G3n is pretty much a do-all entry level unit. He thought I would be happier with one of the more expensive units which on one hand makes sense but on the other, he is still a salesman.

I've pretty much narrowed it down to the Zoom G3n, the Zoom AC3 and the Boss AD-10. Anyone with some input on which one would be the best bang for the buck? The AC3 and the AD-10 are around 2 1/2 times the cost of the G3N and cost is a consideration so I'm leaning towards the G3n right now. If the other 2 are really much nicer however I could still choose one of them.

Anyone?
Old 09-25-2017, 05:46 PM

I had a Zoom G3x for years and it worked and sounded great. Not incredible .. but heckuva lot of fun, tone and bang for buck. Looper too..

Hard to go wrong at $125 for the G3n..

With that said...If I was looking for something for acoustic and to plug into an acoustic amp. I'd get product made specifically for Acoustic guitars.

I find some effects and/or multi-effect units are not as warm sounding when using acoustic pickups.

Id take a long look at the Boss unit .... Also check out the Body Rez acoustic pedal from TC electronics.
Old 09-25-2017, 05:52 PM

Demo G3n at Sweetwater when I looked a few minutes ago.
Old 09-25-2017, 08:34 PM

ToneHunter,

Of the units you mentioned, I would recommend springing for more money and getting the Boss AD-10 or maybe the Zoom AC-3 if you don't want a looper built in. You will spend more, but I think you'll likely be happier. I can't recommend the Boss AD-10 from the personal experience of having owned one, but I think it has the best, and most importantly... "functional" feature set and better guitar "mic modeling" than the smaller zoom A3.

The A3 (which I previously owned) is ok and has some nice features, but in my opinion is tainted by what is a complicated, conviluted, poorly thought out mess of a user interface which is not intuitive or particularly user friendly. It also doesn't lend itself to easy patch adjusting on the fly while your at a gig. If you are solely a "set it and forget it" kind of guy, or were only going to use it at home or for jamming, then this is less of a consideration. The AC-3 is a lot more expensive, but looks and sounds pretty nice. It looks like Zoom listened and took all the feedback from users on the shortcomings of the A3 and fixed them with the AC-3.

The G3X (which I own and use) is a really good bang for the buck, budget friendly unit which does a lot of things "well", but isn't really outstanding at any one thing, and it isn't designed specifically for acoustic guitar, even though there are many features and effects that will work just fine with your acoustic. The looper in it is ok, but also just very basic. Again, these things may not be a huge deciding factor if you just want something thats pretty good for the money.

It's hard for me to recommend something I haven't spent time with... Even though I haven't auditioned the AD-10, I have had earlier boss units in the AD line. From everything I've read and all the clips i've seen (pretty much all of them, haha), this seems to be the latest and best evolution of Boss's acoustic mic and body modeling with high quality effects and a more than decent looper that wasn't just an afterthought. If you plan on gigging with whatever you buy, I think this would be the most satisfying purchase of the 3, even if it costs a good clip more.
I'm sure there may be others here who would disagree... I'd actually like to hear from someone here who owns the newer zoom AC-3.

I would also put in a solid vote for considering a used TC Helicon play acoustic pedal. They are quite popular with many here for a reason. I snagged mine for $170 used on Ebay. I really like it a LOT and its pretty full featured. Lots of high quality bells and whistles for the money. It has a far deeper and more full-featured body rez effect than the single tc body rez pedal does, a decent single channel looper and really, really good built in vocal effects. The only thing I don't like about it is the lack of a 1/4" guitar out or guitar thru. Aside from the aux out, it only has left and right XLR outs... Generally not an issue for most applications, but the other output options would have been nice if they were included.

Hope this helps...

Last edited by chris6120; 09-26-2017 at 12:07 AM.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:14 AM

Thanks a lot for all of your input guys, especially you Chris! I think I'll try the G3n from Sweetwater so that I can return it easily if it doesn't work out for me. I can then upgrade knowing I'm not throwing money away for nothing. To be honest the other units I mentioned didn't sound that great to me anyway and offer less effects, especially stacked effects. BTW - I won't be doing any gigging with it.
Old 09-26-2017, 07:48 PM
Charter Member

Love my G3. Have used it on hundreds of gigs over the last 3-4 years. Really does a lot of things well.
Old 09-27-2017, 05:08 AM

I use my G3 for every acoustic gig I play. Love the looper, I use it every time I do a show. Got mine used for $99, amazing value.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification