The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 09-01-2017, 12:34 PM

Default Need a computer / Ipad for my first home studio

Hello everyone,

I want to create my own home studio ad start recording myself (guitar, celtic harp, piano, mandolin, etc.)
My old macbook don't work anymore and I need to start fresh with a new equipment.
I like apple and already have an Imac at home and an iphone.

I don't want to spend a lot ( and apple products are expensive) because I will use this device for music composition only.
I 'm thinking about garage band, cubase, yamaha THR and free apps.

Is the new Ipad pro a good tool or should I invest in a mac mini ( The second model with 8 go and better Ghz) ?

I will also need a mic, audio interface and a screen.

I have a yamaha THR 10 and a loudbox mini.

Thank you in advance !
Old 09-01-2017, 01:48 PM

Cool DAW

Hello :

Ipads are cool but the limits on storage can perplex you , but there are way to solve this issue .

You will need an interface no matter what you choose .

Ik Multimedia makes one that would suit your needs for the ipad/iphone.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/iRigProIO

Focusrite also has an IOS compatible in the Scarlett series 4i4-6i6-8i8 units .

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Scarlet6i6G2

I have both . The IOS operation is a winner .

Good luck - a lap top with Window 10 64 bit seems to be a working system too it appears for many .

I run a Focusrite 6i6 into a Windows 10 64 bit OS with a HP TouchSmart 610 desktop and so far it is working O.K .

EZ :

HR
Life has always been interesting to me

Old 09-01-2017, 02:32 PM

Thank you Hurricane Ramon !!!

I really love the Irig Pro Ios.
I will receive my IPhone SE tomorrow so it would be perfect !
But I was wondering how to record voice + instrument ?
I'm not sure I can do that with the Irig ?
Or maybe I can record voice + instrument with a mic plugged in the Irig, plugged in the IPhone ?

For the editing, I suppose I could transfer it from the IPhone to my IMac (I have an IMac in another room).

I was thinking about the zoom H2N for the mi c but I don't know if it's the best choice...

EDIT : doing some research on IRIG and find a bundle with an IRIG PRO DUO, a mic and a headset. Do you think the Mic in the bundle would be good enough quality ?

Last edited by Artmusic; 09-01-2017 at 02:59 PM.
Old 09-01-2017, 03:19 PM

Cool DAW input interfaces

With the Irig pro you can hook up 1 line/electric guitar/XLR mic ( w/phantom power ) and a midi source
to your ipad/iphone and/or your imac . There is a second follow up unit that allows two XLR/TRS/line ins
with midi .

It's super light weight and I wonder if it can take a pounding like portable gear does . Time will tell .

The Focusrite ( don't know of any others personally ) Scarlett series can interface with your ipad/iphone/imac
and they can be wirelessly controlled with an ipad/iphone too . And these Scarlett series are built like a
tank & they can be configured to act as a line input pre amp to you P.A. for live use .

Both units come with assorted software .

EZ :

HR
Life has always been interesting to me

Old 09-01-2017, 04:26 PM

use the imac. that's what i use with logic pro and it will save you money that you can use elsewhere for your splatter screen, audio interface and mic. if it is not full already, you can add some more ram memory fairly cheaply.

check the focusrite, behringer and presonus audio interfaces. test a bunch of mics prior to purchase.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 09-01-2017, 07:10 PM

I use an iMac in the studio and have all the above. The 12.9 iPad Pro is great for controlling the digital mixer and for music sets and storage, but I wouldn't use it for recording.
Old 09-02-2017, 06:26 AM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.
Default Need advice: best one mic set-up for recording acoustic guitar and voice

I'll soon be recording myself based on the way the musicians back in the 30's did it: one mic in front of them to handle both acoustic guitar and vocal. All of the songs will be from that time period.

The recordings will be available only as mp3 downloads. With today's technology, I'd still like them to be of the highest quality possible.

I already own a Blue Yeti mic which I plug directly into my iMac, using Quick Time. I'm thinking there might be a better way to do this. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 09-02-2017, 06:27 AM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

Oops. I'll start another thread.
Old 09-02-2017, 09:47 AM

I'll offer a few personal observations in this reply. I don't record on a tablet, though the capabilities there are increasing, and while I record just plain acoustic guitar and acoustic guitar and vocal, I also record an electric folk/rock band and even do recordings that are largely "inside the box" on with software synths and the like. I strongly prefer to use a computer, if only for editing ease and breadth of software choices. With pure acoustic recordings, this is a lesser concern. You could do fine with tablet, or even a stand alone digital recorder like the Zoom units.

I also used to work for a large radio network where various kinds of digital recordings were a work tool. My experience there is now a couple of years old at least, but involves more than a decade of experience with Apple hardware, hundreds of units over that time. In these situation (digital recording suites) we disabled all power saving features, and the machines ran 24 hours a day, and were used by reporters and show producers throughout an extended work-day. My experience with the Mac minis 3rd, 4th and 5th generations was outstanding. Almost no hardware issues. Sitting next to me as I type this is one of my two recording rigs, a 4th generation Mac Mini from 2010 that served 5 years in that kind of use before being sold off when replaced with a newer Mac Mini. We just found them super reliable.

My experience with iMacs during this same time period was more mixed, and at times quite poor. Obviously there we a lot of design changes over that time, but we had some models that failed too often in our typical 4-5 year service life.

Our experience with MacBook laptops was somewhere in the middle, and as laptops there's always the chance that portability carries with it more risks for hardware problems due to their environment/use case.

Our experience with iPads (not used for recording when I was there) was like the Minis, almost flawless reliability.

Currently, Apple is ignoring the Mini line, and to the degree that it's still interested in selling desktop computers, they concentrate on the iMac. Many people are very happy with their iMacs in consumer use. A Mac laptop will also work fine, and gives you portability.

Acoustic recording is not processor or memory intensive. Software effects and software instruments (soft-synths, guitar amp and stomp box sims) can be. There is no absolute need go to an upper end Apple computer model to record--but if you think recording might get to be a larger part of your hobby, and you have the budget, "more's better" can come into play.

A used, post 2010 Mac Mini from the generations that allowed you upgrade the memory (easier in those models than swapping out an internal battery in an acoustic electric guitar) would be one solution. I'm coming from an editing perspective, but a Mini with two cheap and cheerful 24" class monitors pleases me to no end.

If you just want the ability to take a good quality capture of your playing and singing: standalone digital recorder.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 09-02-2017, 11:35 PM

Thanks Frank for your answer and All your experience feedbacks!!I

I'm happy to hear the Mac mini is a good choice. I think the model with 1,4 ghz would not be good enough but the model 2,6 thx could be the one ;-).

I am still interested in the iRig produts and like the plug and play system (to use when/ if I am not in the music room) but could also use it plugged to a Mac mini!
The only thing that bothers me is that the Mac mini did not get at updates for a long time...

Ok so : Mac mini + iRig duo pro !
Should I get the iRig Mic studio xlr at 99€ or do you recommend me an other Mic ?
Old 09-04-2017, 04:04 AM

I use the Alesis iO Dock as interface, two inputs, and a couple of good mics.

The best DAW for ios is Auria, I can wholeheartedly recommend that.
GarageBand for ios is very limited, and is in many aspects counterintuitive and even confusing to use sometimes.

All the tracks on my SoundCloud page is recorded using this interface and app.

My tracks on SoundCloud (Lønhart Duo):

YouTube page:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZT...HIR4tGnwhusf8w

Taylor 324
Martin DX1AE
Gretch G5420T Electromatic
Aria Pro II Cardinal Series 250

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD