The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 08-06-2013, 05:28 AM

Default Archtop

Looking for a decent archtop.Any suggestions?
Old 08-06-2013, 05:37 AM

You will get better suggestions if you are more specific. For example, what is your price range, pick up or no pick up, what type of music will you play on it and so on.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:53 AM

This might help:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f....php?p=3519392
Old 08-06-2013, 08:17 AM
Charter Member

I also am on the hunt for an archtop...I have a hollowbody electric (Reverend Pete Anderson Sig) but that's not really an archtop, even though the top is arched ! My budget is somewhat limited so I have decided on an Eastman Ar605, solid carved mahogany/spruce, no cutaway, no pickup (got that covered with the Rev), hoping for that smooth tone and quick decay I hear on old jazz/blues recordings from the 30's and 40's. The things I've read and videos I've seen on the youtubes have been pretty impressive regarding the Eastman AR series and the price was right for my budget. hopefully mine will arrive in a week or so and then I can give an informed report!
Old 08-06-2013, 09:01 AM

For the money, the Godins are good. Made in Canada. That would be my choice.

Youtube

France (Film Musique & Fantomas)
---
Guitars: (2007) big Vietnamese archtop; (1997) Guild F65ce,
(1988) Guild D60, (1972) Guild D25, two other Vietnamese flat-tops and one classical.

Old 08-06-2013, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

It depends what you mean by arch-top!

There are carved top acoustic archtops and there are guitars "called" archtops because they resemble the real thing, but actually have (*usually) pressed tops with large lumps of wood glued underneath to support pick-ups screed into the top - this latter type have very little acoustic properties.

The former designed as fully acoustic guitars may be fitted with p/ups that are screwed into the end of the fretboard extension and do not touch, let or hinder the acoustic properties.

Again, this is a matter of your personal needs, and then we need to klnw what sort of budget you are planning.

I have a great '60s Harmony Monterey which was cheaply made and has a pressed top but sounds pretty much like a dance band rhythm guitar should sound.

An Eastman AR805e is a fully acoustic hand-carved solid top guitar with a p/up installed to the neck as described above.

My '34 Gibson L-7 is, on the other hand fully acoustic and will not be electrified until someone rips it from my cold dead hands. (note -this is not a challenge!)
Old 08-06-2013, 12:31 PM

The Godin 5th Ave acoustic has a laminated top and has a fine acoustic sound.

While we're slagging some archtops, might as well point out there are pressed solid tops.

Last edited by bohemian; 08-06-2013 at 12:44 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:45 PM

It's worth pointing out that for whatever reason, the rules of laminated tops are a little different for archtops than they are for flattops. There are a number of acoustically good and historically notable archtops that have been made with laminated tops; it's not necessarily an exclusion criteria for high-quality instruments.

1943 Gibson J-45
Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Voyage Air VAOM-4
IBG Epiphone J-200 Aged Antique
Old 08-06-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Smith View Post
it's not necessarily an exclusion criteria for high-quality instruments
Only if you're not comparing them to the best solid carved instruments! With archtops, budget is (unfortunately) a huge part of the picture. They just cost a lot. So for people who are curious about the breed but not ready to invest, it's an obstacle to entry - and a reason why acoustic archtops are still not well known by most guitarists.

Ronbo has made a good decision on the Eastman 605. The fellow who conceived the 600 series, the late Jim Fisch, had the goal of offering an affordable line of solid carved archtops within the Eastman lineup. I used to own an oval hole 604 and it was a really nice instrument. It is far better than the Godin 5th Avenue (which I have also owned) for richness of tone and volume.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpguitar View Post
...I used to own an oval hole 604 and it was a really nice instrument. It is far better than the Godin 5th Avenue (which I have also owned) for richness of tone and volume.
Depends how you have it set up; with a well-fitted wooden bridge and .013 strings minimum (I've got .014's on mine) there's more tone and volume in those little laminated boxes than you think. No competition for a pre-war Super 400, but it'll hold its own against many vintage archtops at two and three times the price, and it's a great instrument for someone who wants to find out what the buzz is all about - think of it as a modern-day counterpart to those old Harmony and Kay jazzboxes us boomers learned on fifty years ago...
Old 08-06-2013, 05:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by louparte View Post
For the money, the Godins are good. Made in Canada. That would be my choice.
Just got one used, and I love it!
Old 08-06-2013, 06:50 PM

I'm very happy with my Loar LH-350. With carved tops, The Loar archtops represent a great bang for your buck, IMO.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:53 PM

The Loar LH 300, carved top just a beautiful, beautiful guitar at any price. clear,sweet, and resonant.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops