The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 09-22-2014, 03:13 PM

Default Domenico Scarlatti K380

Here's my new Scarlatti video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xll-upWcHuQ

Hope you like it,

Chris
Old 09-22-2014, 06:05 PM
Charter Member

Absolutely beautiful, Chris. If I could play like that, I'd quit my job! Thanks for posting the link. (BTW, the sound is as good as the playing. What guitar is that?)
-Bob
Old 09-22-2014, 06:55 PM

Wow, that was nice. Beautiful tone.
Garcia #2 classical
Cordoba C10 Luthier Series
Tacoma Olympia OB3CE acoustic bass

"I don't care what style you want to play. If you want to master good guitar tone, master preparation, attack and release first." ~ Paul Guma
Old 09-23-2014, 12:29 AM

That was really good playing and transcription too! Is it your transcription too?
Old 09-23-2014, 08:34 AM

Very nicely done!!! Is this the Barrueco or Williams transcription? Are you using a capo to facilitate LH fingering or to keep to the original key?
Old 09-23-2014, 10:12 AM

Very nice.

A few suggestions, however. First, excessive right hand string squeaking in some passages. Second, I'd still like to hear more varied nuance in the timbre of your playing: changing attack angle with your nails and changing position relative to the soundhole are options. Last, bachoholic sounds better than scarlatoholic.😀
Old 09-23-2014, 03:28 PM

This is beautiful. Clarity, articulation and sweet tone. The rhythmic drive brings to mind the Presti and Lagoya recording though it's certainly not derivative of that.
Old 09-23-2014, 04:41 PM
Charter Member

Chris, great playing of this wonderful sonata. If you're taking a small break from Bach, then Scarlatti is a good place to visit. The transcription is different from the ones I've come across, but very interesting and original, especially the use of open strings in that familiar passage in the first section. Hope to hear more in the near future!

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 09-23-2014, 07:21 PM

amazing
Old 09-23-2014, 09:55 PM

That is some absolutely luscious playing....just fantastic. Played with a great deal of touch and feeling.

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 09-27-2014, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
Very nice.

A few suggestions, however. First, excessive right hand string squeaking in some passages. Second, I'd still like to hear more varied nuance in the timbre of your playing: changing attack angle with your nails and changing position relative to the soundhole are options. Last, bachoholic sounds better than scarlatoholic.😀
Thanks Charles for the advice. Those are skills I need to work on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Lawler View Post
This is beautiful. Clarity, articulation and sweet tone. The rhythmic drive brings to mind the Presti and Lagoya recording though it's certainly not derivative of that.
Thanks Timothy...I'll have to see if I can acquire that recording. I'd like to hear it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreF View Post
Chris, great playing of this wonderful sonata. If you're taking a small break from Bach, then Scarlatti is a good place to visit. The transcription is different from the ones I've come across, but very interesting and original, especially the use of open strings in that familiar passage in the first section. Hope to hear more in the near future!
Thanks Andre. I played that passage the usual way first then it occurred to me to try it with campanella fingering. I wasn't sure if people would like it this way or not so it's nice to hear it sounds ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar1083 View Post
amazing
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukejon View Post
That is some absolutely luscious playing....just fantastic. Played with a great deal of touch and feeling.
Thanks, glad you liked it.

Chris
Old 09-27-2014, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
Very nice.

Thanks Charles for the advice. Those are skills I need to work on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Lawler View Post
Thanks Timothy...I'll have to see if I can acquire that recording. I'd like to hear it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreF View Post
Thanks Andre. I played that passage the usual way first then it occurred to me to try it with campanella fingering. I wasn't sure if people would like it this way or not so it's nice to hear it sounds ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar1083 View Post
amazing
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukejon View Post
Thanks, glad you liked it.

Chris
Old 09-27-2014, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesson11 View Post
Absolutely beautiful, Chris. If I could play like that, I'd quit my job! Thanks for posting the link. (BTW, the sound is as good as the playing. What guitar is that?)
-Bob
Thanks Bob. My guitar is an oddball. The name inside is Onda. It was purchased in the 70's. I haven't been able to find the company since google existed. Wish I could find out more about it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondoraymundo View Post
Wow, that was nice. Beautiful tone.
Thanks. Glad you liked it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DariaS View Post
That was really good playing and transcription too! Is it your transcription too?
Thanks DariaS. I listened to many versions on guitar and keyboard, then kinda make the piece my own. I'm sure there's a lot of influence in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffmeister View Post
Very nicely done!!! Is this the Barrueco or Williams transcription? Are you using a capo to facilitate LH fingering or to keep to the original key?
Thanks, this is my transcription. I haven't listened to either of the ones you mentioned but I'll check them out for sure. The capo is to help my LH and I like the tone of the piece a little higher as well.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachoholic View Post
Thanks, this is my transcription. I haven't listened to either of the ones you mentioned but I'll check them out for sure. The capo is to help my LH and I like the tone of the piece a little higher as well.
Great job with the transcription. And you playing is superb!
Old 09-29-2014, 11:54 PM

Thanks. I appreciate it.

Chris

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical