The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 08-07-2014, 10:09 AM

Default Apogee Quartet

Last December I purchased an Apogee Quartet audio interface to use with Logic Pro X. As a newbie to the world of digital home-studio recording I've been negotiating the steep learning curve with this device and until recently have been very pleased with the sound quality and the relative ease of operation. A week ago, however; the Quartet suddenly developed a loud hiss and erratic crackles and pops whenever I record enable tracks and sing or play into my mikes. I've done all the usual stuff i.e. checked cables, made sure there are no ground loops, even input a different pair of mikes. Nothing I've tried has eliminated or even reduced the noise(s).
I've submitted a ticket to Apogee Technical Support and the unit is still under warranty so hopefully the situation will be resolved. Anyone else here on the AGF encounter this problem?
Old 08-07-2014, 01:41 PM

i have the apogee ensemble, the older brother to the quartet. whenever i get those kinds of sounds, i go to logic>preferences>audio and set the I/O buffer rate higher for playback and lower for recording. i'll drop it to 128 for recording and bump it as high as 1024 for playback. make sure to click,"apply changes."

a couple of sites to check regarding logic is the apple discussion site.

https://discussions.apple.com/commun...o?forumID=1201

and the logic pro help forum.

http://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=1

you are welcome to PM me and i'll see if i can help with any further questions but i am not an expert.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 08-07-2014, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor B. View Post
Last December I purchased an Apogee Quartet audio interface to use with Logic Pro X. As a newbie to the world of digital home-studio recording I've been negotiating the steep learning curve with this device and until recently have been very pleased with the sound quality and the relative ease of operation. A week ago, however; the Quartet suddenly developed a loud hiss and erratic crackles and pops whenever I record enable tracks and sing or play into my mikes. I've done all the usual stuff i.e. checked cables, made sure there are no ground loops, even input a different pair of mikes. Nothing I've tried has eliminated or even reduced the noise(s).
I've submitted a ticket to Apogee Technical Support and the unit is still under warranty so hopefully the situation will be resolved. Anyone else here on the AGF encounter this problem?
Sounds to me very much like a sample rate mis-match.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:32 PM
Charter Member

If USB to computer then it is probably too lower a buffer size. Required buffer size varies with system and with real time software demands. Adjust it high enough to eliminate clicking.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 08-07-2014, 05:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor B. View Post
Did you upgrade any software recently? Mac OS? Logic? Plugins? Other?

I agree with the other posters that this is likely a clocking or sample rate issue. Certainly try changing the buffer size first, and check the various software settings, connections and any hardware analog or digital cabling.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:39 PM

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I'll check the buffer size tomorrow and see if adjusting that helps.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:22 AM

I have similar issues with the Duet. It does not happen all the time. I resolve mine by restarting the desktop.

I am not having problems right now but will try adjusting the buffer settings later tonight.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD