The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-10-2014, 06:14 AM

Unhappy HELP!! Interface and monitor problem!

Ok so I have been putting together a home studio for a while. I have an iMac with Pro Tools 11, I use a Focusrite Saffire Pro DSP 24 firewire interface and I have a pair of KRK Rokit 5 powered monitors.

I'm hoping this is just a silly mistake on my part but it's doing my head in trying to figure out so if anyone could help that would be great!

ok..so when i'm trying to record some of my own music I keep finding that one of my monitor speakers seems to be picking up my mic even when the record button is turned off in Pro Tools?! So when i'm recording with headphones on, I mute my interface so that no sound is coming out of the speakers. But when i' done recording and want to playback what i've recorded through my speakers for mixing one of the speakers is still picking up sound my from microphone even though all the record buttons are switched off!!

If anyone can help i'd really appreciate it.

Thanks
Old 05-10-2014, 02:10 PM

you have input monitoring turned on. It routes any signal through you input devices (i.e. mics) through your monitors.

Turn off input monitoring - or set it to enable during record only & not during playback.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 05-10-2014, 02:13 PM

...also make sure any software routing that the Focusrite provides is muted when you don't want to hear it. Not sure if they have a software mixer/routing matrix like other interfaces do, but that will keep the sound pumping through regards of the audio monitor setting.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 05-17-2014, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DupleMeter View Post
you have input monitoring turned on. It routes any signal through you input devices (i.e. mics) through your monitors.

Turn off input monitoring - or set it to enable during record only & not during playback.
Hey man thanks for the reply but how do I do this in Pro Tools 11?

All I can see is an option for auto-input monitoring or input only monitoring!
Old 08-03-2014, 08:14 AM

Still stuck with problems regarding this. Not only that but my interface picks up the signal form the mic but Pro Tools 11 wont. When I got to Saffire Mix Control which is the software associated with my interface it too picks up a signal.

I obviously have my routing done wrong on my Pro Tools but I don't know how to fix it.

Some help would be really appreciated as this is stopping me form recording any music.

Thanks.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:36 AM
Guitar Gourmet

You have to understand that with most interface/software combinations, there are two feeds going:

The interface usually has its own mixer software which is used to accept inputs and feed both DAW software and the speakers, as needed.
The DAW usually has a mixer that allows it to accept input (from the interface) and send output (through the interface) to the speakers.

If you have the input closed in your DAW and are still hearing the mic, chances are the interface software mixer is feeding it through to the output. The best bet is to go into the interface mixer and follow the mic chain to see whether it is being fed to a bus and then on to the interface output. Make sure the mic input is only fed to the DAW and not to the main output bus of the mixer.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 08-03-2014, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellarmass View Post
Still stuck with problems regarding this. Not only that but my interface picks up the signal form the mic but Pro Tools 11 wont.When I got to Saffire Mix Control which is the software associated with my interface it too picks up a signal.

I obviously have my routing done wrong on my Pro Tools but I don't know how to fix it.

Some help would be really appreciated as this is stopping me form recording any music.

Thanks.
Actually it sounds like the signal coming out of the Focusrite is not getting into PT period . This could be one of several different issues.

#1 routing in the Mix control (not outputting to same channel numbers that is selected as input in PT i.e. channels 1 and 2 etc. .

#2 routing in PT ( PT not seeing/recognizing the Focusrite as the input source i.e. and is not shown as an input selection, on the input tab of the PT IO section window)

#3 the connection between the interface and the computer not passing the signal. which would also result in PT not seeing the Focusrite. Is the iMac firwire port an 800 port and the Focusrite a 400 ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 08-03-2014 at 10:21 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD