The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-14-2012, 03:23 PM

Default Ren Ferguson Gibsons - are they worth it?

I'm seriously thinking of buying a used Gibson where some of the work was done by Ren Ferguson. On the label inside the guitar is "For Gibson by Ren Ferguson". What's the opinion on the extra cost associated with guitars worked on by Ren? Are they worth the extra bucks (about $1000 more than a non-"Ren" version)? Will these guitars become the Loyd Loar's of the future?
Old 05-14-2012, 03:28 PM

I guess youd have to play one and make up your own mind if its worth the extra cash.
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 05-14-2012, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GibbyPrague View Post
I guess youd have to play one and make up your own mind if its worth the extra cash.
I know that's always the best way to judge, but tough to do in this case since there are not that many of them around - I'm in New Jersey (USA) and the guitar I'm looking at is in California. I've heard good things about them, and there is a 3 day trial period (with a 3% "restocking fee" if returned). But I'm tempted...
Old 05-14-2012, 03:49 PM

Is it a custom? What are the differences other than he worked on them? Unless the materials are different or he braced them or set the neck differently, be hard to think $1000 upcharge would be in line. Lloyd Loar's signature was worth jack-diddley for many decades.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
Is it a custom? What are the differences other than he worked on them? Unless the materials are different or he braced them or set the neck differently, be hard to think $1000 upcharge would be in line. Lloyd Loar's signature was worth jack-diddley for many decades.
Hi - Yes, it is a Custom. It's a Custom L-1. Here's the text from the ad at LA Guitar Sales:
"This Gibson L1 Custom Shop guitar was part of the Five Star Dealer guitars offered in 2011. For this historic 1930s series Gibson L1, Master Luthier Ren Ferguson set out to build the most authentic limited-edition reissues from Gibson's early classic period. Each of these master works is hand crafted from a Red Spruce top in order to reproduce the vintage tone of the original 1930s models. The top braces are precision cut to match the originals, hand fit to the top by Ferguson using historic bracing patterns and techniques then set with Gibson's custom hide glue in his personal workshop. The L-1's back and back bracing is finished by Ferguson in the same fashion, and inside each guitar collectors will find inscribed and dated, "For Gibson by Ren Ferguson".
The price is $3195. There's a post in the AGF Marketplace for LA Guitar Sales and the guitar can be seen there. I'd have to sell off a couple from my herd to get it, but I'm drooling!
Old 05-14-2012, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete12string View Post
Hi - Yes, it is a Custom. It's a Custom L-1. Here's the text from the ad at LA Guitar Sales:
"This Gibson L1 Custom Shop guitar was part of the Five Star Dealer guitars offered in 2011. For this historic 1930s series Gibson L1, Master Luthier Ren Ferguson set out to build the most authentic limited-edition reissues from Gibson's early classic period. Each of these master works is hand crafted from a Red Spruce top in order to reproduce the vintage tone of the original 1930s models. The top braces are precision cut to match the originals, hand fit to the top by Ferguson using historic bracing patterns and techniques then set with Gibson's custom hide glue in his personal workshop. The L-1's back and back bracing is finished by Ferguson in the same fashion, and inside each guitar collectors will find inscribed and dated, "For Gibson by Ren Ferguson".
The price is $3195. There's a post in the AGF Marketplace for LA Guitar Sales and the guitar can be seen there. I'd have to sell off a couple from my herd to get it, but I'm drooling!
If you really like L-1's, seems OK.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:14 PM
Charter Member

I have a Gibson Luthier's Choice AJ built by Ren Ferguson. It's a way different guitar than most Gibson AJ's. I think it's well worth what I paid for it.

- Glenn
Old 05-14-2012, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Will these guitars become the Loyd Loar's of the future?
No, but it could be a really nice guitar anyway and worth the extra money.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:25 PM

But Pete, it's only got six strings. I'd offer $3187.00.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:03 PM

I think it's one heck of an interesrting concept and pretty innovative for Gibson. There are many talented luthiers building historic Gibson recreations. And they are killer guitars. But they bear the name of the builder. For Gibson to basically attach their brand to a build in a small builder's shop is really cool. And yes, I do think it has some potential to rise in value. I mean if the build delivers that desired historic tone.

max
Old 05-14-2012, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobe View Post
But Pete, it's only got six strings. I'd offer $3187.00.
I laughed out loud when I read your post! Excellent!
Old 05-14-2012, 10:31 PM

As a recreation of an original L-1 done by Ren, right down to the original bracing patterns, it will be very different from any modern day versions Gibson builds. The upcharge is not for Ren's name on it, but for the uniqueness of the build. The original L series guitars were very special That said, you can't recreate old wood. Still, if the seller is offering a 3 day trial period it might be worth it to check it out. Is it worth it? Depends on how much you like the guitar.

Dennis
Old 05-14-2012, 10:31 PM

Quote:
I'm seriously thinking of buying a used Gibson where some of the work was done by Ren Ferguson. On the label inside the guitar is "For Gibson by Ren Ferguson". What's the opinion on the extra cost associated with guitars worked on by Ren? Are they worth the extra bucks (about $1000 more than a non-"Ren" version)? Will these guitars become the Loyd Loar's of the future?
I believe the answer lies in your hesitation and skepticism.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:56 AM
Charter Member

I just bought the guitar on that website. Thanks for the post!

(kidding)
Old 05-15-2012, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themissal View Post
I just bought the guitar on that website. Thanks for the post!

(kidding)
Oh NO! I knew I shouldn't have divulged the secret information of where the guitar was for sale!!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion