The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 03-30-2017, 06:57 AM

Default Taylor 114ce-N

My nylon string guitar shopping (last year) got curtailed by my wife, hoping that this year she'll let me spring for one at some point.

I definitely want a hybrid because of the narrower neck. 2" classical necks just feel too wide to me.

I had my eye on the Breedlove Pursuit - until I played one, did not like the looks, feel or sound of it.
At the local Taylor 'new model' show last month, I had the chance to play the 114ce-N https://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/acoustic/114ce-n
Initially the matte finish layered walnut didn't look too appealing, compared to the older models.
But it played like butter, felt nice and sounded good to my ears when I was playing (unfortunately no on else tried it out so I couldn't hear it from a listener's perspective.
Anyone else here tried or heard one?

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 03-30-2017, 07:03 AM

Please make sure that you get a chance to play the guitar before you buy it.

I also thought that I needed a narrower neck on my nylon. My thoughts were based upon my having tried out a lot of the older baseball bat thick & 2 1/4 wide traditional classical guitars.

But the thicker nylon strings and a 1 7/8 width neck just didn't feel right for me.

Don't discount the Cordoba series. While they do have a 1.96" wide neck, they are very thin. They are very comfortable for me.

If you play amplified, the Yamaha crossover's are very nice... But I'm not a fan of them unplugged.

Dave
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 03-30-2017, 07:20 AM
Charter Member

Every nylon string guitar I've ever played off the wall either at the local music shops or the local GC's has sounded horrible (Córdoba, Martin, and Taylor are some of the brands). But every time the strings have looked to be in bad shape. I love the sound of a nylon, just wish I could find one that seems to be set up well to get a good demo.
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 03-30-2017, 08:28 AM

I've given up on expecting the standard big box music stores to have their off the shelf nylon string guitars set up properly or having newer strings on them.

Nylon string guitars are an after thought for most of them.

I have spoken to workers and asked to have strings changed to be able to decide if my impression of a guitar would change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
Every nylon string guitar I've ever played off the wall either at the local music shops or the local GC's has sounded horrible (Córdoba, Martin, and Taylor are some of the brands). But every time the strings have looked to be in bad shape. I love the sound of a nylon, just wish I could find one that seems to be set up well to get a good demo.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 04-06-2017, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
that could explain the Pursuit I played, I know they've had it in stock for at least a year.
Also would explain the Taylor - it was part of the 'new model' show, so obviously had new strings and was set up well!

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 04-06-2017, 11:31 AM

Default Haven't decided yet

I watched and waited for my local Taylor Dealer to get a 114ce N. I played it a few days after it arrived, and again since them. My perspective was that in the broad sense it's not supposed to be a high end nylon string, and I wondered how the changes to it would sound compared to the previous Taylor Nylons.

My impression is that it is more responsive than the lower end Taylor nylons, and sounded more like a "real" classical guitar. Yet not completely. I'm still considering purchasing one. Or, something else. Perhaps even a higher level Taylor nylon. For the price, the 114ceN is due some thoughtful consideration.

Collings; Taylor; Don Grosh electric; Collings Electric; Taylor K4

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical