The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 03-13-2017, 10:01 AM

Default Buying my first flamenco

So probably within the next month or so...played a few the other day and really liked how different they sounded from my classical--both Cordobas--a F7 and a GK Studio Negra.

So I'm probably staying in the sub 1k range for my first...so obviously there's a few Cordobas, the Yamaha (which I played in the past and wasn't nearly as taken by it as I was these Cordobas, but tastes change, maybe I wasn't "feeling" a flamenco guitar yet)

So anything other brands/models I should keep on my short list?

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 03-13-2017, 11:18 AM

I have a Cordoba F7 spruce/cypress, and the last thing I will say about it is that it has the dry Flamenco sound. Too rich for that. One thing, its two inch nut seems much narrower than that - shallow neck, I guess. A corian saddle could give it the Flamenco snap, and would make it louder. For dry and inexpensive, track down a Breedlove Passport C200/CMP. If you like the body size, and a slippery satin varnish, you would do well to replace the TUSQ saddle with a corian one, and use D'Addario EJ45C strings - it needs to be coaxed towards its full potential.
Old 03-13-2017, 12:37 PM

Thanks, that's good info. I won't be playing flamenco music with it, so that's probably not a bad deal for me. I just really like the aesthetics and playability-- and the crispness of the attack versus the bassier warmth of my other nylon string...different colors.

Old 03-13-2017, 12:54 PM

My playing is strictly fingerstyle. Most of it is in the jazz standards, Beatles, & semi classical realm.

I don't think I have ever played the F7 models.

The Yamaha are really nice amplified, but every single one that I tried sounded dead acoustically.

90% of my playing is unplugged. When I play amplified, it's at local open mics plugged directly into the house system. I then tweak the Fishman in my Cordoba to my tastes.

The Cordoba GK Studio model with the cypress back and sides blew me away.
It was a great light guitar with some snap to the sound.

After playing mine for about 6 months, I decided that it just didn't fit my desires for the acoustic sound that I wanted. I wanted some of that rosewood deep sound out of the guitar.

I've had my GK Pro Negra for almost 2 years now. It still meets all of my needs. I even take it to weekly jam sessions. My steel string stays home. Lol

Good luck in your search
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 03-13-2017, 01:00 PM

Seems the GK models get a lot of love.

Not really interested in electronics, as I already have an excellent "plug in nylon" Godin Grand Concert--but it's not much for acoustic tone (actually not bad, but a real acoustic guitar is much better) But if I was able to play a GK and F7 side by side and the GK was a much better and cash allowed, I could live with a barn door.

But basically I'm looking for an acoustic guitar that feels and plays more like the Godin-- lower action, snappy attack. I have a classical too, but that's set up like a classical, and sounds better that way. Nice for bossas and mellower stuff.

Old 03-13-2017, 01:19 PM
AGF Sponsor

Another endorsement for the GK Studio Negra. I've had mine for a couple years and it's been a great workhorse.

More gigs than I can count. Finger style jazz and pop. Sounds very good amplified and has a good acoustic tone.
Old 03-13-2017, 01:57 PM

I recently bought a Flamenco, to give it a try and got a Jose Aranda. It was love a first strum. It was well used and sounds incredible. I always consider a well used guitar as a sign somebody liked it. It is as good as any, I repeat any Flamenco I have tried.

They don't pop up often I have only seen two on the market one out of New York and the other out of Washington DC.

They are in the used 1K range.

Martin's
00-28G 43 and 55
00-28C 68
00-28C 67 (Conversion to steel)
000-28A (Conv. 1935 C-2)
C-2 1935
HJ-38 SG
OMC-18 LJ
OMC-28 LJ
OMC-28M LJ
OMC-44K LJ
CS OM-13

Jose Aranda
Henner Hagenlocher.
Old 03-13-2017, 02:20 PM

Not interested in electronics? This one. Call Memorial Music in Houston direct and ask to speak to Ron Hudson. Tell him what you have in mind. Ask about price.

https://www.amazon.com/Francisco-Nav.../dp/B00302LESW

Not every Navarro student is a cosmetic masterpiece (I sent one back because of finish flaws) but they are decent, all solid good quality wood lacquer finish and sound far beyond the price.

Want a real bargain that has its toe in the flamenco door?

https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-CG172S...ywords=cg172sf

FWIW, I have two GK studios, a negra and a blanca. I owned a third and sold it. I needed utility guitars with electronics for live performance. They are good for that. Not my first or even second choice for acoustic sound. I prefer the blanca for stage use since it has less overtones giving more clarity and easier feedback control. Even though they are laminate, the back and side wood impacts the sound in more or less expected fashion.

Again FWIW, I have since started using a Yamaha SLG200N for stage and prefer it, primarily for live sound utility. The Cordobas get used less and less.

hunter
Old 03-18-2017, 07:17 PM

One more vote for a Navarro Flamenco guitar. They have a really strong following so you may owe it to yourself to check one out if you can.

I don't own one, nor have I played one but I do know that they have a real fan base and student models are in your price range.

I'll also second the great things I've heard about the Yamaha CG172S. Suppose to be great bang for the buck.

I have a Cordoba Solista Flamenca from 2006 that I paid under $1000 a number of years ago. Love the look and workmanship but when it comes to sound, unfortunately, I could take it or leave it.
Old 03-18-2017, 11:46 PM
Charter Member

You already know what I'm going to say.... LOL!!!

Cordoba GK Pro blanca/negra or F10. Those are the three I've settled on after all the Cordobas and other nylons I've had. All three were purchased new or used blems on eBay for $600-1,000 each. Considering that I like all three better than the three $1,500-2,000 Espana series that I sold... I'd say that I feel it was money WELL spent. Just got home from another great gig with one of the GK Pros (blanco this time). I really cannot recommend the GK Pros enough. Having owned a GK Studio (my very first Cordoba about 6 years ago)... the Pros are so much better playing and responsive, not to mention plugged-in (which I know you aren't concerned with. But you may decide that it matters after you've tried one.

I still akso have a Breedlove Passport N250 with upgraded bone saddle and LR Baggs Element electronics, and a Rodriguez FLMOD550. Both are great guitars which would do what you're looking for, especially the Breedlove. They don't get much love with the Cordobas around though.

I've played the Yamaha 172 series flamenco, and it's a great flamenco for the money, but does not compare to Cordoba flamencos above $500 in my opinion. Too bad, as I wanted one as a couch/travel guitar. That's what my Cordoba Minis have become.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Label View Post
I've played the Yamaha 172 series flamenco, and it's a great flamenco for the money, but does not compare to Cordoba flamencos above $500 in my opinion. Too bad, as I wanted one as a couch/travel guitar. That's what my Cordoba Minis have become.
I have a 171. And I played more 171s than 172s so maybe it is not a fair comparison. I have played 172s and in the big box store environment they usually compare very favorably and are as consistent as I found the 171s to be. OTOH I have never compared a 171 to a 172 side by side. But side by side, with the same strings (a key factor), played acoustic only, I prefer my 171 to either of my GK studios. Actually they are close but, without consideration of price acoustic only, I'd pick the Yamaha. And build details? Yamaha.

The Yamaha is missing the plugged in utility value which can come in handy. If you need to plug in or think you might, I still recommend the GK models. Like I said I have 2. Usable acoustic sound, decent plugged in sound.

And in my experience, either option is usually going to sound better than the typical offering from traditionally steel string makers regardless of cost.

hunter

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical