The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 02-23-2017, 02:01 PM

Default Eastman AR 910CE

I am very much interested in hearing from forum members who own, have owned, or have played the Eastman AR 910. Basically anyone having any interaction the the 910. I am primarily interested in the acoustic properties of the guitar without amplification. Your insight would be appreciated.

Last edited by BradleyS; 02-24-2017 at 01:22 AM.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyS View Post
I am very much interested in hearing from forum members who own, have owned, or have played the Eastman AC 910. Basically anyone having any interaction the the 910. I am primarily interested in the acoustic properties of the guitar without amplification. Your insight would be appreciated.
I'm guessing you mean the AR910CE?
https://www.eastmanguitars.com/archtops-ar910ce
2006 Jubal Jumbo
2016 New Era Crooked Star Prairie State Jumbo
2016 New Era Crooked Star Senorita
2020 Iris Smeck
1972 Guild Killdeer F112-6 Part Deux

Last edited by bayoubengal; 02-23-2017 at 10:49 PM.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoubengal View Post
I'm guessing you mean the AR910CE?
https://www.eastmanguitars.com/archtops-ar910ce
Oops, typo. Yes I mean the AR910.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:51 PM

No problem. I recommend you edit the heading of your post. You have to "Go Advanced" when you edit it to do that. You'll probably get more responses.
2006 Jubal Jumbo
2020 Iris Smeck
Old 02-24-2017, 01:23 AM

Done, thank you.
Old 02-24-2017, 03:45 AM
Charter Member

I owned an AR805e.

Ar910 ? top of the range, 17" hand carved acoustic archtop?

Frankly if it was nearby I'd rip your arm off to get it.

Superbly built instruments. Great modern tone.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:13 AM
Charter Member

Hi Brad,

I own an Eastman AR910CE. I have had it a couple of years, but I have not done as much with it as I would have liked. I bought it to get a really good electric jazz sound and the guitar does that beautifully. I had a Guild jazz guitar before, which I sold. It never provided me the sound I wanted, but the Eastman AR910CE does.

I have played this guitar acoustically a time or two, without amplification, and for me, it's not very impressive. Then again, I have never liked the unamplified sound of an archtop. So I am probably a pretty poor judge of the Eastman's acoustic tone.

- Glenn
Old 02-24-2017, 09:16 AM

I find Eastmans of this style to have a thin, somewhat nasal sound unplugged (and with the floating pickup, plugged in too--"stringy" I'd describe it as). It's not a fault, persay, it's the aesthetic they're going after, the modern "Benedetto" sound. Just not my bag.

They are very high quality instruments though, very well built, great playing.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 02-24-2017, 10:59 AM

I tried an older one, from 2006, that a local store had. It's condition was a little ratty, action set too low so it wouldn't play above the 12th fret, lighter gauge strings. So while I thought it sounded thin, too, it wasn't a fair test. Plugged in, it was very resonant, which also meant feedback prone.

I know the carved top ones go for a lot new, but I thought the $1600 they were asking, used, was kind of high, but I'm biased against paying a lot for Chinese-made guitars (because they don't hold their value).
Old 02-24-2017, 11:09 AM

Something to consider, if you're seriously looking for a solid wood archtop in this price range, is to join over at jazzguitar.be and have the folks in the know put you in touch with Lora from Yunzhi or "Mr. Wu".

They're custom builders in China, former Eastman employees, but they're willing to take some chances if you give clear instructions. A friend of mine is expecting delivery soon of an 18"(!) oval hole archtop, should sound HUGE.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 02-24-2017, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
I find Eastmans of this style to have a thin, somewhat nasal sound unplugged (and with the floating pickup, plugged in too--"stringy" I'd describe it as). It's not a fault, persay, it's the aesthetic they're going after, the modern "Benedetto" sound. Just not my bag.
I wouldn't say that is universally true of the "Benedetto" sound. I have a double CD of Bucky and John Pizzarelli where the playing, as one would expect from these two, is brilliant but the sound of their Benedettos with floaters is, yes, kinda thin and stringy. Jimmy Bruno, on the other hand, always sounds plummy to me on his Benedetto with floater.
Old 02-24-2017, 04:52 PM

I can't play jazz, but I am enthralled by the sounds of an amplified archtop when listening to Joe Pass,Wes Montgomery and others, and thoroughly enjoy the sounds produced by "Ranger Doug" (Riders In The Sky) playing his archtop acoustically, . Perhaps I am seeking the sound that only a high end archtop beyond my means can produce acoustically. Does that make sense?
Old 02-28-2017, 04:36 PM

My 2006 arrived yesterday. I have wanted one since I played one in Tokyo in 2005. I'm more than happy with the tone both acoustically and plugged in. I am by no means a jazz player but I did want a big archtop and I think the guitar is great.

Old 02-28-2017, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjewell View Post
My 2006 arrived yesterday. I have wanted one since I played one in Tokyo in 2005. I'm more than happy with the tone both acoustically and plugged in. I am by no means a jazz player but I did want a big archtop and I think the guitar is great.

Great! Congratulations!
2006 Jubal Jumbo
2020 Iris Smeck
Old 02-28-2017, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjewell View Post

Now that is a beautiful guitar and the fact that it's an archtop gives me goose bumps.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops